Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please tell me I didn't screw up horribly.....

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Ugh Its late and im tired...... and I was checking ebay..... and i just spend some big bucks on..... no not optics...... but a tripod!

I was talking to John Hallmen a little while ago and he told me about the 410 head and me knowing nothing about tripods (only ones I have I got for free) I searched for the stuff he listed and was a little set back by the price. Well there was a bid for one of those heads on a nifty tripod (since my bogen is broken i'd need a new tripod) but before I knew it it sky rocketed from $180 to $275!
Manfrotto 3001BD tripod and 410 geared head with case - eBay (item 190561292705 end time Aug-07-11 18:03:08 PDT)

In doing a little research I noticed the 410 head being called a 3275 also (What is with these names?) so I searched that and sure enough two listings came up, one a BIN with a tripod in what looked to be good condition. Like a fool I bought it and now im regretting the fact that I just spent $225 + shipping (he listed $25 but im gunna try and get him to go down on that for shipping.... come on ) on a tripod, something I swore I would never do. PLEASE tell me im not an idiot and that its not a horrible buy!

My current tripod for stacking is a bogen with this head:
Manfrotto 3D Junior Camera Head - Three Way

The head is a pain to use and incredibly difficult to make precise movements so i know (hopefully) this will be an upgrade....
(Not to mention I dont trust it to hold my stuff even though it appears to be strong enough.....)

I dont even have $200 to my name (hopefully going to get a job during senior year and maybe sell some photo's on the side? If thats even possible and someone would buy ) right now but thats where the parents come in :ugh: I've been planning on selling my macro lens (sigma 105mm) for some time so hopefully that will cover most of the cost...... man I cant believe I did this!

Here's the listing

Bogen Manfrotto 3021BN Tripod with a 3275 Head / Studio - eBay (item 290592402536 end time Aug-08-11 00:24:57 PDT)

It will last a while right? Ya, thats what i'll keep telling myself

Last edited by yeatzee; 08-08-2011 at 02:46 AM.
08-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think you did very well with your purchase. The 3275 geared head is very highly rated, it's replacement 410 - Junior Geared Head is listed at 279.00 CDN at manfrotto.ca (there was 3 of them being sold on local CL, by the time I finished researching the head, all 3 were sold) and the 3021 legs was replaced by 190XDB which retails in Canada for about 179.00. You've paid about 1/2 price for a quality tripod/head that should last your life time.

Hope this helps,
08-08-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can't go wrong with a good set of legs and a decent head for your kind of photography, Tanner.
Enjoy your 'splurge'
08-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you will thoroughly enjoy working with a geared tripod head as much as I have. I enjoyed working with my 405 so much I own two of them - geared heads are without peer when it comes to fingertip precision control.

Pentax K10D with the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX APO on my Manfrotto 405. The legs i'm using currently with the 405 are the manfrotto 055X PROB - the smallest set of legs I currently use.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-08-2011 at 02:51 AM.
08-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I think you will thoroughly enjoy working with a geared tripod head as much as I have. I enjoyed working with my 405 so much I own two of them - geared heads are without peer when it comes to fingertip precision control.

Pentax K10D with the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX APO on my Manfrotto 405. The legs i'm using currently with the 405 are the manfrotto 055X PROB - the smallest set of legs I currently use.
The 405 is the bigger more beefy version right? Whats the difference between your tripod, the 3021BN Im getting, and a 055XB from manfrotto?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You can't go wrong with a good set of legs and a decent head for your kind of photography, Tanner.
Enjoy your 'splurge'
Thanks Ash. I can't say I've ever dropped so much money in my life on something I know so little about!

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I think you did very well with your purchase. The 3275 geared head is very highly rated, it's replacement 410 - Junior Geared Head is listed at 279.00 CDN at manfrotto.ca (there was 3 of them being sold on local CL, by the time I finished researching the head, all 3 were sold) and the 3021 legs was replaced by 190XDB which retails in Canada for about 179.00. You've paid about 1/2 price for a quality tripod/head that should last your life time.

Hope this helps,
Thanks I feel significantly better
08-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #6

are geared tripods twist/loosen type setups or are they more like a crank to fine tune the setup which has a set amount of friction?
08-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wooty Quote
are geared tripods twist/loosen type setups or are they more like a crank to fine tune the setup which has a set amount of friction?
they do both apparently

08-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
The 405 is the bigger more beefy version right? Whats the difference between your tripod, the 3021BN Im getting, and a 055XB from manfrotto?
I don't think anything. They just seemed to changed a bunch of model numbers a few years back.
08-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I don't think anything. They just seemed to changed a bunch of model numbers a few years back.
Yeah and its making any research very difficult What does "BN" mean at the end of the tripods name?
08-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
You can't go wrong with a good set of legs and a decent head for your kind of photography
Hmmm? I just may print that out as a sign and hang it on the front of my tripod for
the model to read during my next model shoot.
Words to live by for a model!
08-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lol
08-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes the 405 is the beefier version of the 410, there is a 400 geared tripod head that is even bigger however, it has exposed gears and I prefer to avoid that - the last thing I want is dust and dirt to get caught in the mechanism and foul it up.

the Manfrotto 055X PROB has the ability to move the central column into a horizontal position - which is a bit of a liability to be honest, because it means you can get a bit of movement from the central column if you don't lock it down hard enough*.The 3021BN you are getting looks like an older Manfrotto 190 tripod - which are quite sturdy and lightweight set of legs. I don't think you will be missing out on anything between the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021BN or 055X series tripods - they both have their advantages/disadvantages

the only other geared tripod heads I know of that aren't made by manfrotto are the Arca swiss cube and the photoclam Multiflex (which is basically a korean knock off version of the arca cube) and both tripod heads are rather costly. So for under 1K, the manfrotto geared tripod heads are where it's at.

*and you have to lock it down REALLY hard.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-13-2011 at 07:47 AM.
08-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yeah and its making any research very difficult What does "BN" mean at the end of the tripods name?
Bogen 3021BN vs 3021B PRO - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Basically it seems to be the same differences between the 055XB and 055XPROB.
08-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have a 410 I use under my view camera. It (and I presume the one you have bought) have a quick positioning system where you twist a knob/lever (one on each axis handle) that lets the head rotate freely on that axis. Once you get it 'thereabouts' you release the lever and twiddle the handle which uses the geared mechanism to fine tune. Once you get the hang of it, it is easy to operate with very positive positioning of the camera.
08-09-2011, 04:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The 410 head is a beast (heavy) and is an exceptional head. If you need a bag to carry/store the tripod and head, take a look at a used sporting goods store. I found that mine fit very nicely into a bat bag and it only cost around $7-$10.

Tim