Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Gordy's strap question

Can anyone make a recommendation for me? I was trying to decide whether or not I should get the wrist pad or not for use with my K10D. Do you have one? Do you like it? Would you get one the next time?

On a related question, will the ring on the lug-mount strap work on the K10D? I think it will, but I've never seen one in person to test with. The string version looks a little flimsy and like it might wear out over time. Plus, you can't get the pad with the string attachment.

08-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one I used with my K-10, I liked it a lot. I'm not currently using the K-10, though I'm thinking of moving the wrist strap to the K-5. Particularly when I'm out with the dogs, it's an added security. Pretty comfortable, too. The only disadvantage I find is it does take a bit of space and a bit of time when inserting your hand, which can make fast shots a little awkward.
08-16-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I have one I used with my K-10, I liked it a lot. I'm not currently using the K-10, though I'm thinking of moving the wrist strap to the K-5. Particularly when I'm out with the dogs, it's an added security. Pretty comfortable, too. The only disadvantage I find is it does take a bit of space and a bit of time when inserting your hand, which can make fast shots a little awkward.
So is yours a lug-mount, with pad, then? I intend mine to be just for security and not to hang the camera from, but a K10D plus a 16-50 would kill your wrist.
08-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazon.com: Opteka Professional Wrist Grip Strap for Digital & Film SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

That's the one I have - I have it on the camera along with a standard shoulder strap. Both are attached to the camera lug - looped one within the other. It does have a lug attachment platform. I find this no problem except when I need to swap the battery. At places like the zoo I find myself holding it about half the time with the wrist strap - a K-10 with 16-45 or 55-300.

With the K-5 I got into the Lens Loop project. I like the concept, being able to reach over and easily bring the camera to my eye unlike the stock strap. It needs a bit of padding for the shoulder, though, I keep having to pull my T-shirt past the strap.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/650793793/lens-loop-a-better-camera-strap

Last edited by TER-OR; 08-17-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added link
09-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Anyother wrist strap users, what do you use?

<bumped>
I see the optech has been mentioned here, are there other models users would recommend? Would be cool if any old Pentax branded ones
09-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm going to order a strap from Gordy, but I'm not as-yet a wrist strap user.
09-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The only "official" Pentax branded wrist strap I know of is the yellow floating one which is intended for the waterproof compacts.
wrist strap

Or you could try for this hand made leather strap similar to Gordys , wider leather, maybe a bit nicer, but more expensive.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/83871-bea...an-master.html
I guess these were special order for the logo might cost slightly more.

I just hacked up an old neck strap from my 90's PZ-10 film camera and used the plastic buckles that came with it to fashion a wrist strap. Cheap and effective but not quite as elegant.
09-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have hand straps for my Pentax K20 & Nikon D80 from Camdapter. They attach to the bottom of the camera with a Manfrotto compatible quick release plate and I find them quite comfortable to use, there is also a neck strap I have that quickly fits onto either hand strap without having to remove the hand strap.

Last edited by mtansley; 09-01-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Changed 'wrist' strap to 'hand' strap
09-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Currently I only use hand straps as they allow me to keep a solid grip on the camera while still allowing me to quickly let go of the camera when needed. I couldn't use Gordy's straps, as gorgeous as they are, because I would need two hands to remove my wrist from the camera. Plus it seems I would have some difficulty using the camera with the strap around my wrist.

FYI, many places are incorrectly calling hand straps wrist straps - the one Ter-Or posted about is a hand strap. I have one identical to that one and it works beautifully.

The other one I have has an extra clip for tethering to your wrist should you be photographing while on the run.
Amazon.com: Matin Genuine Leather Hand Strap, Handstrap Camera Grip G. fits w/ or w/o battery grip, for Nikon D1, D2, D3, D3x, D3s, D100, D200, D300, D300s, D700, D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D3000, D3100, D5000, D7000: Electronics

Neither one of those straps leaves my cameras!

Jason - you know your photographing style and your needs. If a simple strap like Gordy's works for you, I don't think you can go wrong with those. I saw his gallery and it showed someone using it with their Nikon D200 with a heavy lens attached, so it should work fine with your K10!
09-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote

I just hacked up an old neck strap from my 90's PZ-10 film camera and used the plastic buckles that came with it to fashion a wrist strap. Cheap and effective but not quite as elegant.
Not a bad idea, have a spare neck strap.too.
09-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
I have wrist straps for my Pentax K20 & Nikon D80 from Camdapter. They attach to the bottom of the camera with a Manfrotto compatible quick release plate and I find them quite comfortable to use, there is also a neck strap I have that quickly fits onto either wrist strap without having to remove the wrist strap.
Have to look into that,
09-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
Currently I only use hand straps as they allow me to keep a solid grip on the camera while still allowing me to quickly let go of the camera when needed. I couldn't use Gordy's straps, as gorgeous as they are, because I would need two hands to remove my wrist from the camera. Plus it seems I would have some difficulty using the camera with the strap around my wrist.

FYI, many places are incorrectly calling hand straps wrist straps - the one Ter-Or posted about is a hand strap. I have one identical to that one and it works beautifully.

The other one I have has an extra clip for tethering to your wrist should you be photographing while on the run.
Amazon.com: Matin Genuine Leather Hand Strap, Handstrap Camera Grip G. fits w/ or w/o battery grip, for Nikon D1, D2, D3, D3x, D3s, D100, D200, D300, D300s, D700, D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D3000, D3100, D5000, D7000: Electronics

Neither one of those straps leaves my cameras!

Jason - you know your photographing style and your needs. If a simple strap like Gordy's works for you, I don't think you can go wrong with those. I saw his gallery and it showed someone using it with their Nikon D200 with a heavy lens attached, so it should work fine with your K10!
Must admit I am guilty too, I'm actually after a 'handstrap' lol
09-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Maybe you folks can find some useful ideas from this post.
09-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Sony do a cool one but like most official accessories $$$.

Like the look of the Matin one as I see it has a strap loop I could possibly link by black rapid swivel to.
Of course could use the bottom tripod socket, but I want to attach a tripod to that!
09-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Have to look into that,
They're a bit pricy but I was lucky enough to get all three made with the same coloured leather so it does look like an even more expensive matched set.

They're solid and well built from my experience so far.