Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA15 and DA35ltd filter restrictions

What's the filter story with the 15? I'm hoping to get one in the next month or two and I want to make sure that my filters are compatible. The biggee is that I have a few 52mm filter lenses (but not a lot). Normally I would buy 52mm filters and use step up rings but my understanding is that this is impossible with the DA 15 lens hood because it doesn't sit flush. And I'm not cutting it off.

Additionally can you stack two 49mm filters (ND and POL) without vignetting? Or how bad is it? I take a lot of waterfall photos and like a 1-2 second exposure with no shiny rocks.

Same questions apply to the 35 ltd but this isn't in the LBA plan for at least a year if not longer since I have that focal length covered. I don't there should be any issues other than not being able to use the built lens hood if you used a step up ring.

Currently I have a 52mm linear polarizer and a 2 stop ND filter (good ones). My plan is to buy a 3 stop ND and a 10 stop ND (black glass). And these will have to be 49mm threads to use them on the DA15. And then I'll additionally need a new CPL (49mm) - unplanned and not currently budgeted. Goodbye blue money (Taiwan).

08-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Forum Member

I don't know about the 15's hood, but if you are planning on buying both the 15 and the 35 ltds, go ahead and get your filters in 49mm thread. They both use the same size, so you will be able to use those filters on both lenses. I'm actually considering selling off some of my lenses and adding more 49mm filter thread lenses in the future so that they will be compatible. I've already purchased an M150/3.5 to replace my super-tak 200, partially for this reason.
08-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've seen a workaround suggested for getting your filters onto the DA 15.

I think it involved taking a cheap UV filter and knocking out the glass. The filter thread will extend the lens past the part of the lens hood sticking out. You can then attach whatever you want. And I don't believe this causes any vignetting problems.

Last edited by Sol Invictus; 08-19-2011 at 08:52 AM.
08-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
I seen a a workaround suggested for getting your filters onto the DA 15.

I think it involved taking a cheap UV filter and knocking out the glass. The filter thread will extend the lens past the part of the lens hood sticking out. You can then attach whatever you want. And I don't believe this causes any vignetting problems.
good news. I wonder if a 49mm UV (glassless), step up ring, 52mm ND, 52mm POL and a screw in lens hood would cause vignetting. this would be a very thick setup even if it's a little wider compared to using the built in hood with 2 stacked filter especially if I went for the slim versions.

QuoteQuote:
I don't know about the 15's hood, but if you are planning on buying both the 15 and the 35 ltds, go ahead and get your filters in 49mm thread. They both use the same size, so you will be able to use those filters on both lenses.
The problem is that I have 3 nice older lenses (including the K24 and K35) that take 52mm threads and I would like to use them. And it will be awhile until I consider buying the DA 35ltd (very long term planning). At the same time it's a PITA constantly messing with step up rings and filter sizes.

08-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I have the da15 ltd. and can say that two standard thickness 49mm filters stacked will vignette but only slightly. Its obvious but small. Neither my 49-52mm ring nor Cokin adaptor will fit because of the hood. I change to the da16-45 when stacking ND filters, usually Cokin.

The hood retracts but not all the way. When retracted it still just barely covers the thickness of a normal filter and with virtually no space between them but does not touch.

Its just a very tough lens to use filters on other than a single screw-in.
08-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #6

ho avuto un problema simile. il capucio del 15mm non permete di avittare diretamente sul obiettivo anello di conversione 49-52. ho usato corpo del filtro vechio da 49mm come step-ring togliendo il vetro, poi anello adattatore 49-52, fin qui vignettatura assente. pero se metti un altro filtro sopra appare vignettatura. per 35mm sicuramente questo problema non esistera.
08-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sadly I don't own either of these two wonderful lenses. However, based on comments from another member who uses the DA15, I've been led to believe that this lens doesn't need filters. I guess I'm wondering why one feels you need one for it.

08-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I measured the stack of filters that I have and I don't see how there wouldn't be massive vignetting with what I want to use. Reinforced by andry's post.

glassless 49mm - 49to52 - ND - POL - Hood = about 3cm plus the hood part
w/o the hood it's about 2.3cm and I probably have to buy a new hood

The ND and POL are about 1cm combined. Slim might not be an option since I'll need filter threads to mount a lens hood for my other lenses. So I'll probably have a little vignetting stacking two filters on the DA15. But overall it seems that buying 49mm filters is by far the best option especially if I'm able to migrate to more limiteds over the next 5 yrs.

Future filter lineup which should satisfy for me for quite awhile
52mm filters that I currently have
B+W MC linear POL
Hoya 2 stop ND

49mm filters to buy
CPL - maybe B+W coated or MC ($30 price difference)
3 stop ND - Hoya MC ($26)
9 or 10 stop ND - B+W at $56
08-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Sadly I don't own either of these two wonderful lenses. However, based on comments from another member who uses the DA15, I've been led to believe that this lens doesn't need filters. I guess I'm wondering why one feels you need one for it.
Taking pictures of waterfalls with 1-2 second exposures. I don't think the lens is that magical.
08-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

abacus07, you've got it right. If you're getting limiteds then going 49mm just makes things easier.

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
Taking pictures of waterfalls with 1-2 second exposures. I don't think the lens is that magical.
That and for when conditions merit a circular polarizer.
08-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
good news. I wonder if a 49mm UV (glassless), step up ring, 52mm ND, 52mm POL and a screw in lens hood would cause vignetting. this would be a very thick setup even if it's a little wider compared to using the built in hood with 2 stacked filter especially if I went for the slim versions.

The problem is that I have 3 nice older lenses (including the K24 and K35) that take 52mm threads and I would like to use them. And it will be awhile until I consider buying the DA 35ltd (very long term planning). At the same time it's a PITA constantly messing with step up rings and filter sizes.
Can you use a step-down on your older lenses from 52 to 49? I know that sometimes this works, depending on the lens.
08-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jason 407 Quote
Can you use a step-down on your older lenses from 52 to 49? I know that sometimes this works, depending on the lens.
We will find out if this works. Further complicating it is that I prefer to always use a screw in hood.

But I'll have a 2 stop ND and POL for the 52's which should cover most situations and I'll have a 3 stop and CPL for the 49's. The only truly unique filter will be the 10 stop black glass (49mm) that I might not be able to use with the larger filter threads.

I also have to buy a new CPL if I don't step up but that's the price of doing it right I guess. And it will be more convenient for my other lenses. And there's also the potential issue of using a linear polarizer (currently own) with an autofocus lens.
08-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
Forum Member

Hello, I have the DA 15mm and when you place two filters (Hoya HMC ND8 and HMC super CP) onto it, the vignetting is visible. However maybe you could try a variable/ fader ND. Ask around to see if it still does the polarising and well as act as an ND filter as I don't have one myself. Hope this helps.
08-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tyronfall Quote
Hello, I have the DA 15mm and when you place two filters (Hoya HMC ND8 and HMC super CP) onto it, the vignetting is visible. However maybe you could try a variable/ fader ND. Ask around to see if it still does the polarising and well as act as an ND filter as I don't have one myself. Hope this helps.
Could you post a picture of the vignetting (edit - at f11 or f16)? If it's a matter of a small crop for this specific application then it might be acceptable.
08-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #15
Forum Member

Yep will do, I'll take some pics and post them up. Don't have access to my archived files atm.