Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

Monopod

Hello and how are you all going?

I just got a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and I was looking at a monopod to help me stablise it. I was just wondering would you bother or just use a tripod.

I was looking at getting the the Manfrotto self standing one, as I was thinking I could used it as a flash/light stand as well but it is quite pricey.

If you had any suggestions of a good monopod max $150, it would be much appreciated.

Just in case you're wondering about the load capacity, I think I need at least 5kg (K7 with battery grip, flash and lens)

Thanks

08-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find I can shoot that lens handheld fairly easily, but having a support like a monopod will help, specially if you are shooting sports just so you don't get tired.

I have a cheap monopod (targus?) but I upgraded the head to a Manfrotto 234 which really makes it usable. 234 Manfrotto 234 Swivel Tilt Monopod Head - Supports 5.6 lb (#3232)

A K-5 body with this leans is easily handled by this combo.

Personally I would not have confidence in the Manfrotto self standing monopods, more so with that lens combo as I think it could easily tip, I'd rather break out a full tripod if I want to place the camera on a support I'm not holding onto.

The Manfrotto 680b is a decent unit and will hold the weight fine, adding the 234 head will bring the total to around 80 bucks, a little more if you want the quick release version.
08-20-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't think you can really go wrong with your own Manfrotto suggestion. Am guessing you were looking at the Manfrotto 682, which i have never used but was recently asked by a friend to try out their Manfrotto/Bogen 680, which is a 4-section that can take a load of 10KG. Liked it. It also accepts the 678 self-standing legs.

If you shop around should think you can get both (680 and 678) for around $100US. The 234RC quick-release head would also be nice but that would take the cost to around $150US.

Last edited by bluespearbone; 08-20-2011 at 12:30 AM.
08-20-2011, 03:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Look at this another way. Why do you feel you need a monopod at all?

Consider what sort of shots you feel you need it for. I have both mono and tripods, and find they're used in different circumstances.

A monopod is great in crowded situations but no good for landscapes.

Tripods are great for landscapes, macro work, or any time you want ulitmate stability, low shutter speeds, etc.

Thinking about how you hold the camera, your stance, etc, may negate the need for a support of any kind. Are you doing low light, long exposure?

08-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might also consider just a tripod. If you drop just one leg, you have a monopod for tight situations. And the more stable platform of a tripod when you need. That being said, I have both, and use the monopod more than the tripod due to it being lighter
08-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I was considering the monopod for use in crowded places and for travel, weight factor. For landscape shots I will definitely stick to my tripod, however I have been doing a bit of low light portrait work at the moment and the tripod is a bit more trying to set up at times.

Having said that the shutter speeds are generally around 1 sec to 1/60, hence needing the support but I am moving around quite a lot. But Dma110, thanks for the idea of just using one leg of the tripod.

Too easy, happy photographing everyone
09-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the Manfrotto 560B-1 monopod and it work great. If you keep the extension collapsed, you can use it as a small tripod with a lighter lens. It also has a fluid head, so if you do any videography with your camera, that is a huge plus, makes for very smooth panning shots.

It is a little heavy compared to many monopods, but it is much more than just a monopod.

09-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm a big fan of the monopod. I use one almost all the time. I'm far more willing to carry a monopod
around than a much heavier tripod. I use a Velbon Sherpa Pro

Velbon Sherpa Pro Pod 6 Carbon Fibre Monopod reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews

and find it works well supporting my K10, grip and my M 400/5.6 telephoto. Works even better for shorter lenses. As an added bonus it makes a handy club should some wretch try to take your gear.

Tom G
09-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm no big fan of monopods, except when doing hand-held macro where I usually have a hard time to keep a constant distance.

Most monopods have to be opened and closed like tripod legs except for this one. It has a good review.
09-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want to use the same lens (70-200) but are there any cheap monopod options ($30-50)? I mostly would use it for motorsports and i don;t want to get tired as crewl1 said

PS - my funds are 0 right now so I am just looking for info...the actual monopod will have to wait anyways
09-07-2011, 04:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I have a cheap monopod but I upgraded the head to a Manfrotto 234 which really makes it usable.
I did the same thing. Got a cheap monopod for 25 dollars from the local store and attached the 234 manfrotto head to it. Works well for my needs. I use it to shoot in crowds/parades etc
09-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I want to use the same lens (70-200) but are there any cheap monopod options ($30-50)? I mostly would use it for motorsports and i don;t want to get tired as crewl1 said

PS - my funds are 0 right now so I am just looking for info...the actual monopod will have to wait anyways
Cheapest I would go is this combination:

WT-1003 Dolica 67 inch Lightweight Aluminum Monopod, 4 Leg Sections
+
234 Manfrotto 234 Swivel Tilt Monopod Head - Supports 5.6 lb (#3232)

Since the Sigma 70-200 tripod collar allows you to switch from portrait to landscape easily you don't need anymore than this.
09-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks
09-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Here is something to consider:

I was looking at monopods on ebay and had one with twist locks that I just about pulled the trigger on. I decided that the weight capacity was the most important factor for me and searched on BH with that criteria. One of the options was a flip lock instead of a twist lock and this seemed to be a lot more logical than the twist lock for me. I have a big old heavy long lens and the flip lock gives me easier one handed control leaving my other hand free to hold the lens. The twist locks I have used seem to require two hands one to hold the leg above the twist lock you are trying to open and one to do the twisting which takes both hands off my camera and may cause me to lose a shot when the subjects are moving quickly. I think the flip locks on the legs are a better option.

Giottos MML 3290B 5-Section Aluminum Monopod - MML3290B B&H
09-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
The twist locks I have used seem to require two hands one to hold the leg above the twist lock you are trying to open and one to do the twisting
You need legs with the anti-rotation features. Once you have it doesn't matter twist locks of flip locks, it's rather a matter of taste. I prefer twist locks because they take less space.

I hope the Neotec monopod will come down in price or that a cheaper copy will be made. It uses neither flip ot twist. It's much easier to use for a monopod (not for a tripod).