Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I generally work out of a Crumpler 7 Million sized messenger bag and it probably runs 10 to 15 pounds depending on the mix of lenses and bodies that I'm carrying. 1 body, 1 flash, a 70-210 or 60-300 zoom, 3 small to medium sized primes and the DA 18-55 would be a typical single body load out. If I'm carrying a second body then it would be added to that. With my 645 body and lens I only have room for 2 mid sized lenses and a flash for the DSLR.

I find that the sling bag is more comfortable for long walks than the Slingshot 200 that I used to carry because the slingshot didn't balance as well and it was awkward to shift from one shoulder to the other. Even with the waist strap on the slingshot concentrated too much weight in one place on my right shoulder.

I ended up with a Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 that came included with some other stuff but I have only used it to carry flash gear and diffusers so far. It is too short for my torso and sits too high on my back to be comfortable with a heavy load. Eventually I want to pick up a larger backpack, and ideally one that I can get into without having to set it on the ground and open the main compartment up completely.

08-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Good Points all - I am going to bring eveyhting I own with me but will have some sort of smaller bag - either one I have now or I'll get another one.
09-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #18
MrA

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Dave, a few months ago I went for a few hours walk in some mountains whilst on holiday with a very similar amount of gear in a large backpack.
It didn't take me long to realise an unfortunate truth - even the slightest increase in gradient makes a load like that much harder to bear. I had previously walked around on flat land for a few hours all loaded up without much of an issue. But as soon as I got onto the forest trail I struggled.

So the advice from this flat lander is to consider what sort of walking your going to be doing. I wouldn't be trying to take half that stuff up to a ridge line again!
As a keen walker, I second that comment. Moving weight about horizontally is not the same as hauling it up 600m of altitude gain.

On the other hand, depending on where you're going, if you can get driven / bus to somewhere at altitude (like a mountain pass), and engineer your walk to be mostly descent / horizontal from there, having the extra weight along is less of a problem.
09-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Travel light

Any hiker knows that on a rough trail the descent is often worse than the climb.
Extra weight will only compound the shock on your knees.

Chris

09-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
Pentaxian

dave

to carry that bag you need a new body, and I don't mean a K5

Seriously though, I have the same bag and hate it, I use it only when I need to go from home to a secondary base, and have to take a PC. otherwise I don't like the bag, the main straps are not adjustible, and to make use of the waste/hip strap properly, I have to let the shoulder straps out so far that the chest strap is around my neck, and I am only 5'8"

I also have the photorekker 100 which is a bigger bag and has properly adjustable harness, I have carried that bag with 2 bodies and 10 lenses into the woods for a hike with no discomfort.

Except for lowepro's really big bags, none have the proper strap and harness to properly distribute the weight
09-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I take the whole kit and kabootle with me a lot of the times , however I usually go where I can park the car and then head out and come back to the car if need be. If I am in some situations where I am treking into the bush I may take it all. Also I may take it all if I am going somewhere exotic I have not been before.

I don't find it that bad actually (I am sure at some point I will ). But there ae way more times I just go out wth the body and maybe a couple of lenses.

I was just curious how many Kilos / pounds you largest bag fully loaded would weigh. I was guessing mine was 50 and it tunred out to be 36 - surpised me.
I wouldn't dare leave my gear in a vehicle this time of year even assuming the gear was secure. We have it 100 and 103 a few times and in the upper 90s a lot.
09-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
MrA

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Any hiker knows that on a rough trail the descent is often worse than the climb.
Extra weight will only compound the shock on your knees.
Also true!