Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Three Legged Thing

Has anyone used this brand? It looks quality, and also like a really good deal since to match its capabilities, you'd basically need to buy a tripod, monopod, and ballhead for both. Just curious about it, as of now it looks like this will be my next tripod setup...

$426 on Adorama

3LT X2 Eddie

09-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Never used this brand, but for that much cash I'd want a center column that could go horizontal.

Remember, any tripod with only one leg extended is a monopod, albeit a heavy one.
09-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a lot of similar tripods of similar design and price. I just bought a photoclam but that's because I was able to find it in a store and test it out. Overall it's a sweet design (this style in general). Mine doesn't have a monopod but I'm not sure how much I would leave the tripod home.

Are you sure you want 5 leg sections? It packs up smaller but you lose some stability and it's one more section to lock/unlock everytime.

I'm also not sure how common a horizontal center column is in the 2kg or less category regardless of price. I think I saw a giottos with one but its load rating was significantly less than I thought it should be.
09-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't know how much I would use a horizontal center column to be honest, although it would be nice on macro occasions. 26lbs (It's 12kg, not 2 by the way, probably a typo but just to fill people in) should be plenty for me. I'm using a K5 gripped and the biggest lens I could see using with this would be the DA* 300 (which I don't even own yet). I'm just wondering if this is the best thing I can buy for the money. Thanks!

09-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's not a typo. My two kilogram reference was in regards to the tripod weight. You can't put a 1+kg camera (definitely not 12kg's) on a boom (horizontal column) if a tripod only weighs 2kg. It's simple math and it's going to fall over. Unless of course you hang some weight on the hook but a manufacturer can't count on their users having that kind of common sense. If i wanted to do this I would buy a real lunker of a tripod to complement my ultralight travel tripod.

the problem with your question is that it doesn't look like anyone here has used this tripod and can't comment on it vs the other 10 similar tripods. In this price range there are a lot of options. I might consider looking at the Giottos versions to see how they compare. They are one of the top brands and have several models of this style of tripod (IIRC).

I'm not sure how much consideration I would put into the manufacturers weight rating though. The geometry is likely the same between the different models so your weight rating will probably be influenced by thickness of the smallest leg section (one reason fewer legs is better) and build quality.
09-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply abacus. Sorry for misinterpreting your comment as well, I didn't think of the horizontal weight vs the tripod weight.

My general rule of thumb for manufacturer's weight rating is to cut in in half, then you know you're getting what you need (albeit potential overkill, but with $1,000 lenses, a few hundred extra for overkill is better than not enough).

Thanks everyone for the comments, they do seem to be a smaller brand, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyhow. There are so many models of tripods and heads now, could people maybe post links to similar setups (legs+a good ballhead) in this class?
09-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I must say, this company excels in marketing hype - and I deeply mistrust a Customer Services Director by the designation of "Interplanetary Queen Of Darkness".

Many words and claims, but I have in fact never even heard about that brand. And "designed in the UK" does by no means mean "Made in Britain" - such cleverness in wording would put me off that company. The offer is not exactly cheap and for the money you will find at least adequate offerings from well established brands (Benro, Feisol, Manfrotto, Giottos, Velbon to name a few).

I use different tripods in different weight cvlasses and each and any comes from a different maker. But they have two things in common
- they are produced by well-known makers
- they live up to the brand promises

I cannot rule out, that this thingy company produces top notch products, but I wouldn't buy it. Not the least, because I see no way to actually try the ball head and compare it to other brands in shop. Producing usefui tripod legs is the comparetively easy part, but making a really good ball head is another thing - I would really suggest to go into shops and try these in situ, before buying.

Ben

09-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're going to put this amount of money I'd to go for the Sirui tripods (N2204 + K20x ballhead). The Sirui is extremely similar (up to the monopod functionnality) but has a better ballhead (K20x is a copy of the renowned Markins) and has integrated spikes. Moreover they are a real brand with real support and distribution in North America. I'm using the N2204 and I find the quality excellent..

If you want the best, get the world's best tripod
09-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
suggest to go into shops and try these in situ, before buying.
Ben makes a fine point,most of those folks more than happy to help work it out.
Have gitzo 1340 & manfroto 393 used for my 2 largest lens,weighs a ton and
looks rather "industrial",very solid and gives great peace of mind.
Have a TLR that Ive tried with 2 lens sets reversed to one another and a focusing rail.
Would love to find something a bit less substantial and still capable of bearing the
weight and allowing low profile at same time.Ballhead is my biggest worry.
09-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I have similar tripod that can be converted to a monopod. Problem is, as a monopod it is too short, mostly because you lose the (extendable) center column in monopod form. From that website page, I see that it's monopod maximum height is 1.3 meter. You can decide for yourself whether it's too short or not.

With my tripod, I scavenged a center column of another broken tripod to add more height when I use it as monopod. Keep in mind I was sorta lucky it fits / screwable to the monopod. I mean there's no guarantee you can do similar thing with this 3LT tripod. Anyhow, this extra column means extra thing to store and carry so I ended up not using the monopod as much as I imagined when I first bought the tripod.
09-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that the monopod feature is not such a good idea after all. On my Sirui, it's OK because it's high enough, especially once the ballhead and the camera with grip are installed. But the other issue is: do yo want to compromise your tripod? What happens if you break or damage the monopod? What's the price to pay in term of stability and vibrations for that feature? I don't really know. OTOH it can be handy because you save on money and space.

The other thing is the center column. I'm of the opinion that a tripod without center column or at least a center column that is removable is better for stability. On the Sirui the standard center column can be exchanged for the (included) shorter one. But you cannot remove it completely.

Check also this thread for information about tripods.
09-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I agree that the monopod feature is not such a good idea after all. On my Sirui, it's OK because it's high enough, especially once the ballhead and the camera with grip are installed. But the other issue is: do yo want to compromise your tripod? What happens if you break or damage the monopod? What's the price to pay in term of stability and vibrations for that feature? I don't really know. OTOH it can be handy because you save on money and space.

The other thing is the center column. I'm of the opinion that a tripod without center column or at least a center column that is removable is better for stability. On the Sirui the standard center column can be exchanged for the (included) shorter one. But you cannot remove it completely.

Check also this thread for information about tripods.
Of course this is true and I can remove the center column on mine (photoclam). But then you can't fold the legs up as compactly since the head might be in the way (dependent on what head you chose). This isn't a problem when there is a center column. I'm also not sure how much of a difference there is between an unextended center column and directly mounting the head to the tripod.
09-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #13

Three legged thing is designed in Great Britain but manufactured in China. Sirui is both designed and manufactured in China. Just in case if anyone is wondering.