Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
O-GPS1 - How is this works with moving + stationary object?

Hi,

I purchased the GPS unit O-GPS1 (will ship in Oct) and this morning I thought how this thing will work with combination of stars and stationary object (tree, hills, etc)?
Will it blur the stationary object while it try to follow stars movement?

Have anyone use this to shot stars + stationary object?

If all object are stationary, will it induce shake during long exposure (like forgot to turn off SR when you place the camera on tripod w/ long exposure)?

Any samples will help!

Lee

09-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My [limited] understanding is that it will bur the stationary object. Why? Because in order "follow" or "track" the star[s], it moves the sensor. Thus stationary objects would be blurred.
09-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will have to admit I have not looked at all at the functionaligty but why wouldnthe gps unit interfere with the image at all. The gos is there to record where the camera is with a resolution of +/- 1 meter and an accuracy of +/- 10-20 meters

It has no impact on the image, shake reduction or image tracking at all
09-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
He means that aside from the GPS functionality, it includes the potentially much more interesting star tracking feature. wired.com

09-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The Astrotracer function of the O-GPS1 does exactly that -- use the SR mechanism to move the sensor and eliminate star trails.

And yes, I remember seeing some early sample photos that showed nice pinpoint stars and smeared landscape. I don't know how it could work any other way!
09-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
The Astrotracer function of the O-GPS1 does exactly that -- use the SR mechanism to move the sensor and eliminate star trails.

And yes, I remember seeing some early sample photos that showed nice pinpoint stars and smeared landscape. I don't know how it could work any other way!
OK I see where he is coming from now, using the SR to take the star trail out, providing the exxposure is short enough to remain within the movement of the sensor. in that case, yes it would cause any object that is stationary relitive to the camera (i.e. on earth) to blurr. More appropriately it would leve a trail
09-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A tracking mount would do exactly the same thing, eliminate star trails at the cost of blurring stationary objects. It does not matter if it is a dedicated tracking mount moving the entire camera, or if it's just the SR system moving the sensor.

09-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Just don't get anything stationary in the picture!
09-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Just don't get anything stationary in the picture!
Hm.... in this case the composition will be a little boring, don't they?

I guess if the foreground (shadows of trees, etc) is totally dark, then it should be OK, or light the foreground with torchlight in short period of time?

In this case I might have to re-think my purchase....

Lee
09-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
A tracking mount would do exactly the same thing, eliminate star trails at the cost of blurring stationary objects. It does not matter if it is a dedicated tracking mount moving the entire camera, or if it's just the SR system moving the sensor.
I have not thought this through in detail, but to me, it seems that the camera would need long, lat, and position relitive to true north, and the camera angle in the sky to get this right.

Assuming it gets the first 3 from the gps and the last from the camera itself (from the accelerometers used for SR. why couldn't there be a menu to allow inputting this data without the GPS?
09-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Assuming it gets the first 3 from the gps and the last from the camera itself (from the accelerometers used for SR. why couldn't there be a menu to allow inputting this data without the GPS?
Because then you wouldn't have to buy the GPS unit, and the now unique GPS unit would just be another GPS. But yes I suggested this about a week before the O-GPS1 was announced. Or I actually suggested a variant where you first take a shot without tracking (nor GPS) and let the camera analyze the resulting star-trails and then you retake the shot and this time the camera would compensate the movement.

Since the astrotracer seems to work so-so as it is now (to many input variables and all of shaky quality) it would be cool if they added this option as a super-fine calibration where the camera analyzed the tracking error from the previous shot.
09-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You could try exposure blending though, so one long exposure for the still objects when the sensor isn't being moved, one long exposure for the stars where it is, then blend the 2 in PP. Would work for some scenes at least, but not for all...