Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DIY Portrait Bracket

I have occasional need for a portrait bracket. I don't really want to either buy a new tripod head or invest in an expensive bracket. So I made my own. Having looked on the web, I didn't see anything this lo-fi. (I did see one DIY bracket that seemed to require a machinists certificate and unlimited sources of aluminium blocks for machining.)

Parts:

One tripod and with quick release plate -- I used a spare Bogen 3130.
Right angled bracket -- I used one with three holes predrilled in each side.
1/4" bolt - 1" in length
1/4" wing nuts - (qty. 2)

I seperated the quick release screw from the quick release plate. The screw I reuse to attach the camera. The plate I use to attach the whole bracket to the tripod.

Because I attached the plate using a wing nut, it is simple to move the plate to the other side of the angle bracket and switch the mount from portrait to landscape.

I hope this is useful for someone else!

Pictures attached.

Last edited by filmamigo; 10-23-2015 at 07:22 AM.
12-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Improvement suggestion

May I suggest a couple of improvements.
You would have been better scrounging up another QR plate and mounting the camera body more securely cradled tightly into the corner of the L-bracket. This way, no screws to undo, less chance of fumbling, quicker to operate, and more stable.
Just my £0.02P, hope it helps.
12-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess that I'm lucky with a sturdy pan head on my tripod.

I'd run every piece through a grinder to remove all those sharp edges. Even a file should work.
And do paint it black, it'll look more professional.

I might be trying something very similar to mount a flash on my medium format film camera.
12-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Good tips, thanks. The second plate would be a big improvement, I will see if I can scrounge one up.

Ground down and painted black would be a definite improvement. This is the $2, 2-minute version! Really just a stop gap -- I have my eye on a new Manfrotto with the centre column that swings around.