09-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help needed with the Cokin nomenclature and numbers

I have a couple (two) Cokin filters at the moment:

A Neutral density ... P-153
A Graduated neutral density ... P-121-L

While they do the job in some instances (i.e.: low light situations), I wish I could get something darker so that I can use them in brighter light.

Here is the problem: how do I decide which ones to get ? I browsed their site (Cokin) and it doesn't have much information about the equivalence of the strength of the filters vs. the "part number" to buy.

For instance, the Neutral density filter P-153 would have what equivalent in strength ... ND 2, 3, 4 ... ? How many "stops" does that represent? Which next filter should I get when I want a "darker" filter?
Same goes for the GND P-121-L ... equivalent to what?

Lastly, I am told that the Cokin (manufacturing?) system has been bought out? Where do I get them now?

Anyone here knows where I can get the info so that I don't get caught getting the wrong filters?

Any help finding the complete information would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 09-28-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added a question
09-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm looking at this site.

All the filters have some sort of "strength," e.g.
  • Cokin Grey Nd2x P152
  • Cokin Grey Nd4x P153
  • Cokin Grey Nd8x P154
09-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I'm looking at this site.

All the filters have some sort of "strength," e.g.
  • Cokin Grey Nd2x P152
  • Cokin Grey Nd4x P153
  • Cokin Grey Nd8x P154
Thanks SOldBear !

This site is very helpful indeed. Now I will know what I need.

I have also "discovered" that B & H carries a wide range of these filters.

Cheers.

JP
09-29-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd be skeptical of buying the actual filters from Cokin. I bought an entire set of ND filters from them and they give out a pink cast on my images. Go with the Lee filters instead that fit the Cokin P system.

09-29-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
I'd be skeptical of buying the actual filters from Cokin. I bought an entire set of ND filters from them and they give out a pink cast on my images. Go with the Lee filters instead that fit the Cokin P system.
Noah,

Yes I know this is an issue with Cokin filters but since I shoot RAW, I find it quite easy to adjust the colour temp in PP.
Of course, it would be much easier to get the colour temp right away but after checking the Lee filter prices, I'd rather stick with the Cokin sets for the moment.

JP
09-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Noah,

Yes I know this is an issue with Cokin filters but since I shoot RAW, I find it quite easy to adjust the colour temp in PP.
Of course, it would be much easier to get the colour temp right away but after checking the Lee filter prices, I'd rather stick with the Cokin sets for the moment.

JP
It's not necessarily an issue of color temperature as it's a color-cast on the image itself. You can mostly minimize it in PP but it's never really gone. That said I have a set of Cokin ND filters I used once, found out about the cast and have never used again: P. 152, P. 153, and P. 154. PM me if interested.
09-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
It's not necessarily an issue of color temperature as it's a color-cast on the image itself. You can mostly minimize it in PP but it's never really gone. That said I have a set of Cokin ND filters I used once, found out about the cast and have never used again: P. 152, P. 153, and P. 154. PM me if interested.
PM sent, thanks.