Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 04:57 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by canajuneh Quote
I'm thinking I'll try a pair of golf or cross country ski gloves with heavy lined leather mitts for the in between shots moments.
From my experience gloves such as those (gold gloves) are too thick to pair well with winter gloves. You can trust my experience, I live in Quebec city If you get leather mitts large enough to accomodate the golf gloves, they will be too large to be warmed by your hands, so they will serve little purpose. Get thinner gloves, like the silk ones I mentionned earlier, and purchase a well-fitted pair of mitts or heavy gloves for in-between shots.

11-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #17
Forum Member

I found some nice liner-style gloves at the Helly Hansen store here in Calgary for about $25. They're not H/H brand, though. I don't recall the brand name at the moment, but they fit nice and snug, reasonably thick without restricting motion, and have grippy pads on the fingertips and palm. I haven't tried them in extreme cold yet, but they did perform well during a recent shoot where the temperature was around -5 deg C. I was able to use the e-dials on the K-5 and K-7 easily.

They also had ski/snowboard mitts in the same brand that had a zipper on the side of the palm, along the index finger. So you could open the zipper and stick your fingers out the side of the mitt. It included the same liners I have. The only issue with that would be operating the rear e-wheel. I was intrigued by them, but I already own a set of high-end Gore-Tex snowboard mitts.

Incidentally, when shooting on the ski hill I use liners under the snowboard mitts. Most mitts for snowsports are equipped with "idiot strings"and mine have a zippered pocket that will hold a hand warmer packet.

EDIT: The brand name I was referring to is Swany. I also spotted some gloves by Lowepro at a camera store on the weekend. Nothing too special other than fold-back flaps that expose the index finger and thumb for additional dexterity, but they might be worth checking out.

Last edited by polachekphotography; 11-14-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added info
11-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Further to the recommendation of thin gloves inside gloves, I tend to go the route of thin gloves inside of heavy mittens. I find a well fitted pair of full length cycling gloves provides good thermal protection and tactile feedback.
11-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by canajuneh Quote
Excellent suggestions for 'things that might be worth considering' when it comes to keeping my hands warm. I do appreciate your input.

I'll be going on a serious hunt around the nearest city soon.

For your info....I often shoot at -20 or -30 C. Heavy goose down parka and industrial strength boots! I'm thinking I'll try a pair of golf or cross country ski gloves with heavy lined leather mitts for the in between shots moments.
Go to MEC and get something like these, and wear them under your favorite big mittens. I've been using something like them for a while, and while not perfect (popping mittens off and on) I can still feel my fingers after an hour shooting in -20. By the time my fingers are frozen, the batteries are too, so time for a hot toddy...

11-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #20

I use my cycling gloves