Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Quality, Effective Memory Card

When I bought my K10D I got with it 2 Lexar 2GB memory cards. Quite often while shooting pics., particularly with the 18-55 zoom lens, I will have a period where the camera will not fire. This can last up to 1/2 min. Is the problem the low quality memory card & the time it takes for it to effectively do it's job? If so, what memory card should I be looking @ that I can get for not over $50-75.00?

Thanks so much for the input.

12-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a Transcend 4GB and a SanDisk 2GB with no problems.
12-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What are your shutter speeds like when this happens? Of course buying a faster card will reduce on time between shots, but I just have the regular SD cards and I don't have to wait very long. However, if you have the in camera noise reduction truned on, it takes almost as long to to the noise reduction as it does to take the picture. So if you are shooting at 30" then it takes about 30" to do the noise reduction. If that isn't it, it is probably just the card. One thing I do to keep the card a little faster, is after I copy my pictures to my computer, instead of just deleting the pictures off my card I have the camera format the card. This will make it a little faster to store the next pictures you take. Similar to the reason you need to defrag your computer's hd every now and then. Just make the file system faster.
12-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also just had an issue with a SanDisk 4 Gb Extreme III. I deleted all, and had only a couple dozen available shots. I shoot RAW, but! I had the camera reformat the card, and the shots went back to the full number.

12-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've certainly noticed a performance difference when shooting RAW between my Sandisk Extreme III & Ultra II SD cards - the Ultra II takes noticeably longer to display the preview shot, especially when using bracketing.

I'm just about to purchase the Extreme 4GB

simon
12-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simonkit Quote
I've certainly noticed a performance difference when shooting RAW between my Sandisk Extreme III & Ultra II SD cards - the Ultra II takes noticeably longer to display the preview shot, especially when using bracketing.

I'm just about to purchase the Extreme 4GB

simon
I have two SanDisk Extreme III 4 Gb cards, and I am very happy with them.
12-11-2007, 03:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if its 1/2 minutes, i would highly recomment you format the card in your camera (not the pc) ... if it locks up, which can happen, its very annoying... with the price of memory these days, its almost worth investing in a reputable brand you can trust.. but understand that at the end of the day... nothing is bomb proof.. anything that a human designs will stuff up eventually. the digital age is an age full of problems,bugs and dilemmas. its all downhill from here, just a matter of time.... lol

12-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #8

Heres the best Combo

1 Pc of SDHC Kingston or Sandisk 4gb, Class 4
1 Pc of 2gb Normal Speed Kingston or Sandisk as Backup
12-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gigahz Quote
Heres the best Combo

1 Pc of SDHC Kingston or Sandisk 4gb, Class 4
1 Pc of 2gb Normal Speed Kingston or Sandisk as Backup
I almost have the same set, except that I have 2 4gb.
12-11-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Another vote for Sandisk extreme III's. Compared to the no name 1gb that came with my camera (88x) the speed difference is noticeable. I personally like shooting with the smaller capacity of 1 gb (around 60 RAWs). I hate waiting for Lightroom to download and convert my RAW's on a full 2gb so i cant imagine what using a 4gb is like (my photolibraries size slows my comp down). You also get a great RAW converter free with the Sandisks.
12-12-2007, 06:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dales Quote
(snip) what memory card should I be looking @ that I can get for not over $50-75.00? (snip)

A normally functioning memory card should not cause delays approaching 30 seconds ("1/2 min"). Anyway, I use Panasonic 2GB Pro High Speed (Class 6, 20MB/s) SD memory cards. In fact, I've used a handful of them in seven different devices (two cameras, PDA, card readers, GPS, etc) for several months now without problems, so they're compatible with most devices (not all cards are) and are very reliable with a lifetime warranty.

Matsushita (the parent company of Panasonic), SanDisk, and Toshiba jointly developed the SD and SDHC memory card standards. Lower capacity cards (3GB or less, called SD cards) work with either SD or SDHC card readers, while larger capacity versions (4GB and above, called SDHC cards) require an SDHC card reader. The speed class rating (Class 2, 4, or 6) can be used with either SD or SDHC memory cards. The Pentax K10D is both SD and SDHC memory card compatible, but the card reader within your computer may not be SDHC compatible.

By the way, B&H normally has these 2GB Panasonic cards for $34, but they're out of stock at the moment.

stewart