10-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need a lens bag for a big lens

Looking for a lens bag for my Tamron SP300 2.8

Length 8.5"
Diameter 5"
Weight 6#

I took a stroll on the Lowenpro and Tamrac sites, but don't seem to be finding what I am looking for. I want a nicely built padded bag with shoulder strap for this lens.

Any suggestions?

10-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lowepro has several that should work. Here is a link to one I found quickly, it might not be exactly what you need but it should be close and you can search from there. I went to amazon and searched for lowepro lens case.

Not suggesting either amazon or lowepro, they just happened to be easy to search on. B&H and Adorama both have similar items.
10-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Domke have a nice one (F-300) and so does Tenba (LL-300 or something). I dont have either but spotted them recently when looking for a smaller lens bag. Theyre both about $150 though
The biggest cheap ($40) Lowepro 13x32cm is 5.1" on the inside so might be tight so test it out.. I was thinking to get one like this for a DA300 with hood attached. The next Lowepro appears to be a big jump up.

Thought of another... Thinktank Glass Taxi which has proper backpack straps also about $150ish but thinktank stuff is bulletproof (figuratively speaking, not literally so don't go testing it in Bahgdad or Detroit or somewhere like that)

Last edited by steve1307; 10-17-2011 at 07:13 PM.
10-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is the one I bought, maybe I should have included in the package??

L311 ? Compact Long Lens Case

Its pretty well built but it is a little bigger than the 300mm f2.8. They sell two foam "space taker-uppers" to add some extra padding down around the front element and one that fits around the lens right where it meets the camera body to stop things from bouncing around too much. The shoulder strap is actually kind of awkward for carrying and I am thinking the backpack option might be a little more convenient.

My lowepro backpack is also big enough to fit the lens and camera down the center but it takes up a lot of space.

Glad to hear you are having fun with it!

10-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
littledrawe - I'm glad I asked, and you mentioning a backpack makes me feel kind of dumb now.....I have a small Kata backpack that I am not using - I'm going to see if it will fit which I think it will - this will be just the ticket as I can configure it as a single shoulder sling or backpack.

That L311 is what I had pictured in my mind - but for that price I'll hopefully make my backpack work.

And yes - I am really enjoying the lens!

Thanks all for your suggestions - if my Kata backpack doesn't work out, I'll check the other bags you mentioned.
10-18-2011, 04:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd ask ebay, you should find a ludicrous amount of candidates.
10-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have the fa* 300 2.8 handy to compare but we've taken it for a few outings in the kata bumblebee, which nicely carries more lenses as well.

11-05-2011, 05:19 AM   #8

A wine cooler bag might just do the trick. I have an original hard and soft case for my rather antique version of your lens, but alas not for sale.
11-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have my Sigma 300/2-8 with a body/grip attached in a Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW fits nicely, You can put a few cards, shutter release, even a 1.4 teleconverter in the top pocket, and theres still the front pocket that can comfortably hold a flash or second converter, plus it has the webbbing on the side for extra lens carry cases to hook onto, and nobody would have any idea whats in there.
11-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #10

Just tried my Tamron 300mm f/2.8 in a wine cooler bag-it fits, although a problem with the hood. Many such cooler bags can be picked up very cheaply. The wine cooler bag I tried out today cost almost nothing at a garage sale and I see them at garage sales frequently.Bonus, when not used for carrying the lens, use your imagination
11-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
Forum Member

I used to have my tamron 300mm f2.8 in a Lowepro Lens Case 5S, fit beautifully and does have a shoulder strap. I know have my sigma 300mm f2.8 in the lowepro.
11-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here was my solution for a longer (but slower) lens.

I used neoprene from an old exercise mat and got foam at a crafts store. I ended up using velcro tape to line main compartment with the neoprene.

11-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just thought I would update -

I bought my Tammy from littledrawe. but he was holding out on the case that he used with it - as he posted above:

L311 ? Compact Long Lens Case

Well he finally put it up for sale, so I grabbed it - exactly what I wanted!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/164840-sale-sold-kinesis-photo...lens-case.html
11-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
exactly what I wanted!
Good--case closed ;~)
11-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Taomron made bags. . .

I realize that the OP has found a solution, but in case anyone's interested, Tamron made a couple of versions of bags for the SP 300/2.8 and SP 400/4. One was vinyl, and I believe the other was canvas. They could either be carried over the shoulder or as a sling bag across the back. They had an external zippered compartment for accessories like the palm rest, filters, and maybe 4-5 rolls of film. I had the vinyl one, and it was long enough to carry the SP 300/2.8 with the hood in the ready to shoot position. They come up on Ebay on occasion at relatively low prices. I bought mine for $12 USD IIRC a few years back.

Personally, I found the most convenient way to carry a 300/2.8 class lens is on the camera with a Cotton Carrier main vest. I don't have to fiddle with mounting the lens if a shooting opportunity presents itself while walking to a shooting site, and I don't have to deal with the case when on site. I also carry a second body with either an FA* 300/4.5 or Sigma 180/3.5 Macro, either with or w/o an F 1.7x AFA in the CC holster, and just carry the tripod in hand. It's remarkably comfortable and convenient, and I'm pretty old, not incredibly fit, and not a big guy ( 61 YO, 5'6, @ 160#). The nicest thing about the setup is that the lenses don't bang against my body with every step.

BTW, a nice accessory that I found for the Tamron 300/2.8 or 400/4 is a metal screw in 112mm lens cap. I like this better than the leather slip on cap that won't fit over the rubber bumper on the front of the hood. I found one on ebay a few years back for $10 USD new.

Scott