Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I need to buy a tripod...

I got money burning a hole in my pockets, and since no one is telling me what the want for Christmas, I am spending it on myself. And since I need a tripod, I figure now is a good a time as any.

I have narrowed my choices down to these two combinations after doing some research.

Bogen / Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod Legs (Black) with 486RC2 Compact Ballhead (Quick Release) - Supports 13.2 lbs (6 kg)

OR

Bogen / Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Legs (Black) with 484RC2 Mini Ballhead (Quick Release) - Supports 8.8 lbs (4 kg)

Since there isn't a camera store in the area that stocks these two units (all I have is Wolf/Ritz Camera) I was wondering if anyone had any hands on knowledge with these setups.

Acording the the Manfrotto website, these are balanced setups, the main difference is the weight supported which is important to me. I will weigh my camera and lenses that I plan on using with them to see if I am withing specs. The Vivitar lenses are kinda heavy.

However, the bigger setup is only $30 more so it may prove the better buy if/when I get some long primes or even the Tamron tele I have now.

12-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Personally I'd go for the heavier unit if it's only $30.00 more.

That way if you get a HUGE lens or even a medium format camera you'll still be fine.

Plus it's a little more stable in windy conditions.
12-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you're still looking, you might want to check out Amvona.com. Shop there, and then buy from them via ebay to save ~30-40%. They're a good bit cheaper than the name brands. I think they're probably direct copies. I like mine.

Anyway, just a suggestion. I don't own stock or anything, just a satisfied customer.
12-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
If you're still looking, you might want to check out Amvona.com. Shop there, and then buy from them via ebay to save ~30-40%. They're a good bit cheaper than the name brands. I think they're probably direct copies. I like mine.
Ditto that for me. I own 3 Amvona muslins, a bunch of assorted lighting gear, and one of their tripods. I also own a Manfrotto tripod. I like my Manfrotto, but it's a mere wisp of a thing compared to the Amvona. The Amvona tripod is heavy and it smells funny the first day or two out of the box. I have the AT858 plus a ATH03 ballhead. I wish I had sprung for the pistol-grip head. I'll probably do that next go-round. I have about $60 in the tripod and it's a solid piece of machinery. It's not elegant, but it is effective. I wouldn't think twice about mounting the FA * 80-200 on it. If I had one, that is.

I bought mine on eBay and that really is the way to get their stuff. Don't get involved in a bidding war unless you just have to have it that day. Their shipping prices on eBay stuff is a little high, but they ship within a day or two of the payment has been my experience.

-E

12-10-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
Igilligan

Like the others I have two tripods that I bought from Amvona on ebay. The first is a heavier alum/mag that has a pistol grip. I had never had a pistol grip and I really like it. This set up would be my windy day gear. The tripod is 5.5 pounds and rated for 13.2lb. The pistol grip has some weight to it also. The other one is a carbon fiber one that actually is 3.3 pounds and rated at 17lbs For that one I picked of a nice large Ballhead... this one is the hiking tripod just for the weight.

I think I got the Metal/pistol grip for about 70 after shipping (i have seen it go cheaper)
And the carbon fiber was 80ish for the tripod and 30 ish for the ballhead.
The amvona/dynatrans are knockoffs that are very good for the money. If you are interested I will give you model numbers to check out.

If you are set on the Manfrotto then you should get it. They are great tripods and a good tripod you will have for a long time.
A wise man once said: "Get what makes you happy... Anything less, makes you less happy"

-gus-
12-10-2007, 10:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting... I checked out the Amvona, can't really tell what I am getting from their website but one thing that I like about the Manfrotto's are that I can move the center pole 90 degrees to get right over something, which I like for macro work.
12-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #7

I can't comment about Amvona, but I used to sell Manfrotto and Gitzo tripods. Of the 2 setups you're looking at, I'd recommend the 055 over the 190, both for the load rating and because the 055 is taller. My personal feeling is that if you have to raise the center column just to get the viewfinder of your camera to eye level, your tripod is too damn short. Also, if you can stretch your budget a little, you might want to take a look at the 488 series heads. A separate pan lock can be really handy.

12-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I got money burning a hole in my pockets, and since no one is telling me what the want for Christmas, I am spending it on myself. And since I need a tripod, I figure now is a good a time as any.

I have narrowed my choices down to these two combinations after doing some research.

Bogen / Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod Legs (Black) with 486RC2 Compact Ballhead (Quick Release) - Supports 13.2 lbs (6 kg)

OR

Bogen / Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Legs (Black) with 484RC2 Mini Ballhead (Quick Release) - Supports 8.8 lbs (4 kg)

Since there isn't a camera store in the area that stocks these two units (all I have is Wolf/Ritz Camera) I was wondering if anyone had any hands on knowledge with these setups.

Acording the the Manfrotto website, these are balanced setups, the main difference is the weight supported which is important to me. I will weigh my camera and lenses that I plan on using with them to see if I am withing specs. The Vivitar lenses are kinda heavy.

However, the bigger setup is only $30 more so it may prove the better buy if/when I get some long primes or even the Tamron tele I have now.
I own and use an 055B with the 0168 ballhead. I never go anywhere without it. Well, maybe to the little room ...

I do use a lighter tripod in some circumstances, but the brute is the one when I want to take photos. I used it with the K10d and 50-135 for portrait work. Overkill perhaps, but the camera stayed pointed where I wanted it.
12-10-2007, 11:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

(snip) And since I need a tripod, I figure now is a good a time as any.

While you're shoping, take a look at the Davis & Sanford CarbonLite X10 tripod system (head & legs) priced at $185 from Cameta Camera and 47th Street Photo. It has carbon fiber legs, magnesium canopy & leg hardware, and an aluminum-magnesium alloy head. While the entire thing weighs just 5.4 lbs (2.5 kg), the load rating for the legs is 14 lbs (6.5 kg) and the head 9 lbs (4 kg).

The tripod system as a whole was pretty good, but I didn't really like the head included (opinions may vary). My solution was to eventually add the Giottos MH 7001 ball head with sliding quick release ($70 from B&H). Made of very thick aluminum alloy weighing just 1.3 pounds (.5 kg), it's load capacity is 13 lb (6 kg). The sliding release is perfect for fine distance adjustments with macro photography.

This combination has worked exceptionally well for me, both in the studio and for important location assignments (have a baby travel tripod for less serious work). No articulating center pole, however.

stewart
12-11-2007, 12:10 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
While you're shoping, take a look at the Davis & Sanford CarbonLite X10 tripod system (head & legs) priced at $185 from Cameta Camera and 47th Street Photo. It has carbon fiber legs, magnesium canopy & leg hardware, and an aluminum-magnesium alloy head. While the entire thing weighs just 5.4 lbs (2.5 kg), the load rating for the legs is 14 lbs (6.5 kg) and the head 9 lbs (4 kg).

The tripod system as a whole was pretty good, but I didn't really like the head included (opinions may vary). My solution was to eventually add the Giottos MH 7001 ball head with sliding quick release ($70 from B&H). Made of very thick aluminum alloy weighing just 1.3 pounds (.5 kg), it's load capacity is 13 lb (6 kg). The sliding release is perfect for fine distance adjustments with macro photography.

This combination has worked exceptionally well for me, both in the studio and for important location assignments (have a baby travel tripod for less serious work). No articulating center pole, however.

stewart
It would be nicer to have a lighter tripod than the Manfrotto to carry, but sometimes the sheer weight of the big old aluminium brute is needed. I have also been known to hang my backpack on th tripod to hold it down with the 400 on it. On a windy day, sheer unadulterated mass is needed.
12-11-2007, 12:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the 055cl with an amvona offset ball head attached and its a rock solid combo. The Amvona head is pretty well made but mine felt really stiff when rotating at first. Gave it a squirt of CRC and dam its smooth as silk action, i imagine it should be the same for the rest of their ball heads. One thing though with 055's, unless your model is made of some form of lighter material they are pretty heavy and aren't very portable when closed down, at least if your thinking of taking it on a hike. Mine weighs about 3.5-4kgs with the head attached.
12-11-2007, 04:46 AM   #12
ycl

Not sure if this is too helpful ...

OR

Hi --

Good choices! I also narrowed it down to these two and then went to B & H in person to check them out. And the difference was quite enormous -- the 055 was much larger & heavier compared to the 190. Since I preferred a lighter tripod -- I live in NYC and don't have a car, so if I do lug a tripod around, it's just me carrying it -- I got the 190 (but with the 486RC2 ballhead rather than the 484). Total package was around $200.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Both are beautifully made (in Italy), exceptionally functional (the horizontal feature is very cool for macro stuff, and the tripod gets really, really low as well), and inspires confidence in use (they are extremely sturdy & everything 'fits' precisely -- I have zero worries about my $1000+ camera and lens when mounted on this tripod & ballhead). One of the first things I read when I started in photography was, "Buy the best tripod you can afford." And I now understand that to be true -- it's not a good thing to skimp on.

As to which of the two, I think that's just a personal choice about weight and capacity (the 055 bears more weight and also goes quite a bit taller, if I recall). I don't have any big ol' lenses, and wanted a tripod that I can occasionally carry around without breaking my back , so I went for the ligher one. But I can very well see choosing the other one if my needs were different.

Good luck --
12-11-2007, 05:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would also go for the heavier unit, because it is not just the weight of your gear. Many people recommend using a suspended weight (rocks, sand, or the rest of yeur gear etc...) from the tripod to dampen the vibrations, especially high frequency, which can introduce blurr into the picture.

This point is especially true for long lenses which are very prone to shake. Unless you will NEVER need the bigger unit, or if you are specifically looking for a light weight travel unit, you may as well get the big one now.
12-11-2007, 05:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Buddha, I own the 055Pro and am very happy with it. It isn't light but I got a carry case that lets you carry it back pack style and that seems to work for me. Nice unit, I really like the fact that it has leg warmers on two of the three legs; those legs can get COLD setting up this time of year. Very stable and the ability to move the vertical arm to a horizontal position makes a very flexible unit.

NaCl(tho if I'm going to do a LOT of hiking I bring my much lighter Manfrotto 089, the 055pro isn't exactly light)H2O
12-11-2007, 06:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I bought a Slik pro 700 last year, and i like it a lot. Not overly heavy but at the same time still very solid.
It has clips on the side of the legs to allow them to spread out farther than normal and has a smaller centre post for under tripod or low macro shots. I have not used the small one yet.

It holds my D2H with 70-210 F2.8 VR and 1.7 (or Sigma 170-500) tele or my 6x7 and 200 F4 no problems.

The K10 and istD are a breeze.

Dave