Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #1

eye-fi and K200

Hi,
I have fallen in love with the feature set that the Eye-fi card seems to offer. But, my K200 is not on the white-list. Support claims it's because it haven't been tested. So I wonder; do any of you guys have any experience with an Eye-fi card in K200?

BR/tohans

10-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It'll work but be aware that it'll be slower than tethering, even on an 802.11n network but its definitely workable. Also, I suggest that you set up for a direct or ad-hoc connection rather than going through a router.

They Eye-fi is "compatible" with any camera that uses an SD card. They just haven't tested them with all cameras so they can't officially say it'll work.
10-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
Is that a general "feature" with eye-fi that it is slow or is that due to the combination of the K200d and the card? Recommend not to go through a router! Does that mean that in general you wouldn't recommend using the online sharing and hotspot access?
10-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It was never intended to be slow by design. Its just that even the fastest wi-fi isn't as fast as USB tethering. I think we still have a couple of generations of wi-fi to go before before we start hitting speeds like that. 802.11 N goes up to 300mbps (megabits) while USB 2.0 goes to 408Mbps (Megabytes) so you have quite a speed difference.
In the real world, USB tethering will have your photo downloaded to your laptop instantaneously, while with Eye-Fi it can take up to 10-12 seconds depending on the size a file. In this case a 14MP RAW or Jpg (4 stars). Its not as bad as it sounds. Once you get into the shooting flow you won't notice it.

The Eye-fi will drain your batteries quicker though since it needs the power to send the pics. From my experience its about a 30% cut.
I'd recommend a direct (ad-hoc) connection over a router for speed sake. Also, its simpler to set up. And if you're shooting outside (in a field for example) and there's no wi-fi or 3g phone then you can still send the pics to your laptop that you took with you. And now it works for Android and (I think) Iphone. The direct connection has a range of 30 ft so you'll be in good shape,

The online sharing is a useful feature but I've never used it. If I was shooting vacation snaps and wanted to put on my FB page or Flickr thats one thing.

Here's some good news, if you feel that Eye-fi is too slow for you, you CAN tether it. Yup, just get PKTether which is a 3rd party program and use the USB cable that came with your camera. It may not be as slick as the Canikon tether programs but it will do the job and youll have your pics quickly loaded up. I always keep my 25 ft USB cable close at hand if Eye-fi is being bratty.

10-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
It was never intended to be slow by design. Its just that even the fastest wi-fi isn't as fast as USB tethering. I think we still have a couple of generations of wi-fi to go before before we start hitting speeds like that. 802.11 N goes up to 300mbps (megabits) while USB 2.0 goes to 408Mbps (Megabytes) so you have quite a speed difference.
The theoretical speed of USB 2.0 is 480 megabits per second, or 60 megabytes per second. In reality you don't see much more than half of that.