Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Using the O-GPS1 and flash

For anyone interested in using the 0-GPS1 and flash I have some information. Camera used K-5 and flash used AF-540.

I have tried the following as to if I could get it to work but I did not look into if there were changes to the accuracy of either the flash or the GPS. This would have required taking a lot of photos and that is more then I wanted to do at this time.

With the O-GPS1 mounted on the camera hot shoe there is no room to deploy the camera flash so this simple option is not available.

If you use a Pentax Off Camera Shoe Adapter F there is still not enough mechanical clearance to fully deploy the on camera flash but if you use the Pentax Dedicated TTL Hot Shoe Adapter FG. You can then use the Pentax Off Camera Shoe Adapter F at the end of a Pentax Dedicated TTL Flash Extension Cord F5P, 3' Coiled Connecting Cable. You can then mount the Adapter F on a flash bracket attached to the camera. This will work and the on camera flash seems to work correctly with the O-GPS1 giving the information to the camera.

Some things you have to look out for. First there are 2 types of Pentax Off Camera Shoe Adapter F. one has pins on the bottom (Mfr# 31022) the other (Mfr# 31046) has a 1/4-20" threaded hole at the bottom that allows it to be mounted onto a bracket, tripod head, stand, etc. You can use either one but if you use the one with pins on the bottom you must not short the pins or the O-GPS1 (or a P-TTL flash) can't send the data to the camera. Next if you want the compass data to be correct you need to keep the orientation of the O-GPS1 the same as when it is on the camera. Of courses don't forget the calibrate the O-GPS on the bracket.

Next I used the Pentax Off Camera Shoe Adapter F, the one that has the pins on the bottom (Mfr# 31022) (with the on camera flash closed) and had the O-GPS1 on the top of the camera. This feeds the data from the O-GPS and the flash thought the Adapter F to the camera. I then used a F5P, 3' Coiled Connecting Cable to a AF-540 flash. As the AF-540 flash has a F5P cable port I did not need a second Adapter F. This seemed to give full control (including HSS) of the flash like normal and the camera got the GPS data from the O-GPS1. I did not test it with a AF-360 as I only have the one Adapter F but it should work with it.

Next I tested the AF-540 using the PC port. This worked the same as usually in manual so just about any flash should be useable.

Lastly I used a Flashwave II (radio trigger) on the PC port. This also was normal.

This is all the basic ways I can think of to use the O-GPS1 and a flash. So it looks to me that you can use the O-GPS1 and a flash you just have to add some parts.

DAZ

05-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #2

Changes in O-GPS1 features with K-3

I posted some of the GPS features that have changed with the K-3, and pictures using the GPS with built in pop up flash. At another Pentax forum below:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53604233

Last edited by rgibbons; 05-03-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: fix URL