Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #1

80ties Pentax Infrared Control System

I recently aquired it, but alas, only with the 2P cable (for Super A and P30 release buttons).

So, it is soldering time: does anyone know the layout of the 2P connector on the IR receiver side? And the 3P trigger cable for the Winder ME II or the FDP remote control cable (SF till MZ series)?

I have old cables that would be cut and rewired. The plan is to have a mini stereo jack on each side (male on the receiver exit side, female on the trigger cables entry side), but which pin has what polarity?

Anyone out there?

Thanks in advance!

10-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have this written down somewhere so I'll post here when I find it.

Although, if you are only using the cable as a joiner does it matter as long as you wire both plugs the same?
10-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dark_Mist Quote
I have this written down somewhere so I'll post here when I find it.
Hi DarkMist,

I'd appreciate any form of technical info regarding this. Let me explain in a few words what the goal is:

I have the IR receiver & transmitter plus 1 cord, the 2P type, but I want to trigger (by self-made cut and re-built cables):

- Super A (via 2P connector)
- Winder ME II & Winder LX (via 3P connector)
- Many AF SLRs (SFX, PZ1 till MZ7) (via FDP connector)
- maybe AF 280T and AF400FTZ flashes (via 4P connector and hot shoe grip)

The basic idea was to cut the existing 2P cord in two halves and applying a male 2,5 mm stereo jack to the half that comes from the receiver device and a female 2,5 mm stereo socket on each of the above mentioned camera connector cables, which I do all have. If this works, I could plug togehter the receiver part into the camera connector part according to the camera in use by just plugging in the stereo jack into the appropriate stereo socket. I hope, this is clear and not confusing...

So, I need to know whether the inside pin or the outer rim of the 2P outlet or plus is + or - or which of the cables (that I expect to be inside the 2P cable) uses which polarity. The same is true for all the connector variations (3P, 4P, FDP) to avoid cross-wiring or shortening the entire thing. What I know so far is that the 3 pins on the FDP are serially closing for AF and exposure metering, then for triggering. But where goes +, where goes -???

Many thanks again!
10-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I happen to have a 3p cord for the LX winder and the cord for the PZ series...4p cord too for LX motor and I think that's the one that fits the big handle flash? I'll dig around and sell you the doubles I have of some if you are interested...way better than a splice. Have two full sets of the IR release system. Works out to 60meters as I recall. Happy to sell the system to someone even though this isn't the marketplace.
PM if you want some cords...(Betcha thought you'd never find them so you HAD to make your own...not so...this is the Pentax forum where wacko's like me are out there with strange and rare items like the various cords you want.)

11-02-2011, 02:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
PM if you want some cords...(Betcha thought you'd never find them so you HAD to make your own...not so...this is the Pentax forum where wacko's like me are out there with strange and rare items like the various cords you want.)
Hi Ron,

PM sent... And yes, I was pretty sure I would need to tinker it togehter on my own accord. Because, if people OWN the rare stuff, they use it and don't sell too light-handed.

But the rarest Pentax item, one of the few I've never seen anywhere, seems to be the Remote Battery Pack for the Winder ME II / Winder LX. Now, don't tell me you are the type of wacko who has 5 or 6 of them in the cabinet...??
11-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Didn't realize the winder LX remote battery pack was so rare. Pretty sure I sold one to a forum member a couple years ago. Probably sold it too cheap?