Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello Dionisis_K

I have the slingshot for more than two years now and I would not change it for anything… it’s small and large at will (one’s necessity will).

In the inside divisor “box” I normally use my KX attached to a Tamron 28-75 2.8 with the lens hood on (stretching a bit the closing zip) or with the hood inverted (zero stretching) on one part and my 55-300 4.0-5.8 on the other… and still have the second (no box part) free.
I do think you can easily get the photo kit you say inside the “box” part – the divisor can be moved to make room in one side or totally removed.

Do remember that besides the outside divisions [almost useless as stuff can be picked from them or just fall – as they are big -, but if one (thinking on letting that be done one day) would put zippers on those they would be outstanding!], inside you have tree small separated “pouches” closed with Velcro… I have on mine an extra SD card, four eneloop batteries, lens cloth, usb cable, distance controller a body cap and a back lens cap.

That other inside parte can be extended to almost the double in size (just by opening a zipper) and I have carried there a coat, extra(s) lens(es), a Kindle DX eBook Reader (9.8 inches but not with the lenses)/ Asus 10.1 inch convertible netbook, etc… also this part articulates with the box and when one is seated (like traveling in a bus, car or boat) can be placed around your body like an extraordinary “big belt”, thus protecting ones stuff even more.
Concerning the tripod I would say that it can fit inside, but you probably would have to open the extra zip extension of the bag – I have just tested it with my Giottos monopod which is 52 cms long full closed and with the extension zip closed gets out 20 cm but with it opened just 16 cm, meaning one can have inside in this situation something around 36 cm long (more 2 than your tripod).

Still, nothing surpasses taking the kit to the shop and test it “in loco”.
In today’s world (and your and my country more than ever for sure), every penny spent is worth to be triple checked if it really is what one is looking for.

Best regards,

Last edited by ddharriman; 11-05-2012 at 01:50 PM.
11-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello wes k

I have the black one, personal decision...
People look to the bag and find it different but normal - different if they find it to be a “camera bag”, normal if they do not as it’s really a different/normal walking in a city bag, hey many people use it that way when they do not need to carry any photo stuff!

The blue one, I do not think it looks too girly (or less for that matter) at all, and if for instance, you are like me and have a KX white (The Storm Trooper!), when you take it out of the bag, (and even with the match white 18-55 3.5-5.6 lens) the star is the camera not the bag anymore.

My advice, get the bag you will not regret it.

Best regards,
11-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #18

thanks for the posts dd, I already bought the sling just after I posted and it served me well in europe.
I got the brown/khaki colour and found it to be perfect as a travelling bag, no-one suspected a camera in there and it's nice and light and sits comfortably.
I have been using it with my K-r with 18-55 attached with plenty more room left in one side of the partition for a larger lens attached, a lensbaby fisheye in the other side along with a couple of filters with enough room for another small lens.
In the cubby holes are 2 spare batteries, my lensbaby aperture kit, a lens pen and memory cards.
In the "bag" part was a raincoat, bottles of water, food and passport, with room to spare. Outside pockets carried more bottles.
my hama tripod unfortunately didn't fit without sticking out a couple of inches which was a shame (sorry, don't know size or model for reference)

back in the uk it carries the same camera kit, but in the bag area the travelling stuff is out replaced with 10" tablet and usually my mates gear: 70-300mm sigma and nikon fisheye.

great little bag, highly recommended
11-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I have both the K-5 and K200D and for what its worth they are almost identical in size.
hm.... my K200D is bigger than my K5, in every directions.
But for purpose of choosing a camera bag, the size difference between the two can be ignored.

11-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #20

need a replacement sling bag

Hi All,
I can't go with the Passport Sling... every pocket must zip or otherwise seal shut.
A friend showed me some links for a bag:

http://www.alles-foto.de and http://www.monochrom.com
He likes and uses Billigham bags http://www.billingham.co.uk/pages/index.php.
For his large format equipment and Rolleiflex he uses made to measure cases by Rommel of Frankfurt http://www.rommel-koffer.de
He added classic bags like Domke bags from the US http://www.smrehberg.de/content/section/6/29/lang,de/

Those are all much to stylish, and or/ seemingly old fashioned, adding expensive for my taste.

this is what I carried for the last 7 months
Amazon.com: Case Logic SLRC-205 SLR Camera Sling (Black): Camera & Photo
however it's falling apart now from once or twice a week regular use and I need a replacement... something similar in size/style but real quality please...
I carry the camera, a 80-320, 16-50, and a flash unit and maybe a 50 or so prime.

I'm looking at the Lowepro SlingShot series at the moment. Any added input about particulars is always appreciated!!

Thanks fellow Pentaxians!

Last edited by Iksobarg; 11-18-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added info/details
11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #21

my answer...

3N1 Family - Bag Families | Kata Bags
the 30 seems really (too big) but I might just end up with both 20 and 30 (no laptop variation needed; those are the 22 and 33 models)

oh, and I contact Case Logic (now Case Thule) and they are replacing the my 7 month old defective SLRC 205 with SLR Camera Sling - DCB-308-BLACK | Caselogic and and the DSLR Camera Sling - TBC-410-BLACK | Caselogic .
I'll give em a chance heck their free but feel the kata's should prove better.
12-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #22

I have owned and own a number of bags, ranging from the huge kata flyby 76 to the tiny Kata grip 12.

While I am pretty pleased with the grip 12 for everyday use, I soon discovered I was concerned by the lack of options to bring personal items with me, or even only an additional flash or my agenda, or hold a bottle of water.
Most of the times I would have liked to bring with me my man bag and grip 12, but it's not an option,it's just one or the other for me

With the passport sling I've seen the light, It does all of the above and looks like an ordinary bag