Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #1

Which aftermarket battery for K20d?

I'd like to get an additional battery for my K20. I never buy aftermarket batteries because I'd rather have original equipment. Unfortunately, the Pentax batteries seem to be non-existent so I'm forced to go aftermarket. I've noticed that there are varying voltage specifications for these batteries and I want to get something that will not harm my camera in any way. Can someone suggest a battery to get? Thanks.

11-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #2

I've had a 20 since they came out. I have had several Impact IMDL 150 batteries for years. I use them often and had good success with them.
Think I got mine from B & H.

Just looked at B&H and they don't show them anymore....

Last edited by whitedog; 11-05-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: researched answer
11-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've found the NP-400 (Konica-Minolta) batteries to work fine.
11-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just emailed for a "return goods authorization" from Tmart, a vendor of Chinese BP-LI50 knockoffs. I'm usually lucky with aftermarket batteries, but not this last purchase through Amazon or Ebay... honestly can't remember where they put their website?

FYI... and you guys may well know this (?) Jeryst said, "I've noticed that there are varying voltage specifications for these batteries........" Unless I'm missing something here, what you may be referring to is not the voltage rating, but the "ampere hour rating." The LI50 seems to be marketed as having as high as 1800 mAh to as low as 1400 mAh capacity. (there are 1000 mA in 1 amp) So in theory, they're saying that at the rated voltage, you should be able to draw nearly 2 amps in one hour from the higher rated battery. More ampere hour capacity equals more device operating time. Voltage rating should be 7.4 vdc for all of the batteries. It's the "capacity" that varies in this battery type, not the voltage.

My current concern is to know if anyone's found an aftermarket battery source that's equal or better than the OEM? I went through this when I got my K10d, and bought an extra battery for $15 or so, and it just died after a couple years. The OEM battery is still good. One thing I've noticed is that the OEM battery has gold contacts. The aftermarket batteries are all silver-toned.

I just went back into Amazon, and found the following battery, which is labeled as having a 2000 mAh capacity, which is relatively high. The one review it got supported a long duty cycle. I may just haul off and get it, but will look for any additional suggestions over what I've seen in this thread. (I saw battery type, but not vendor recommendations.) (?)

Wasabi Power Battery for Pentax D-LI50 and Pentax K10D & K20D by Wasabi Power
5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review) Price: $15.99 In Stock. Ships from and sold by Blue Nook.

I just don't want to re-invent the wheel as far as finding a vendor; online or through a store. Thanks........ Al

Last edited by alsterling; 11-06-2011 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added information to better explain need.
11-08-2011, 03:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also heard about the Wasabi batteries and from what i read on the net (not sure how reliable those reviews are), they are quite good in quality.
11-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I own a pair of Wasabi Power batteries for my K-5, and they have been fine.

I've had them for a few months, and they don't seem to be noticeably different from the one OEM battery I have, in terms of capacity. But I haven't undertaken any kind of formal effort to really determine how they compare.

They're good enough.
11-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Unfortunately, the Pentax batteries seem to be non-existent so I'm forced to go aftermarket. I've noticed that there are varying voltage specifications for these batteries and I want to get something that will not harm my camera in any way. Can someone suggest a battery to get? Thanks.
Pentax does not make batteries...

I got a Lenmar from Adorama for about $16.50, which I just alternate with the original.
03-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks to jeryst et all for K10D/K20D battery information: very useful.

03-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by j0n4hpk Quote
Thanks to jeryst et all for K10D/K20D battery information: very useful.
I am using Wasabi Power batteries in my Sony Action Cam. Working great so far (6 months, tested in -20 Celsius). I did buy that brand after seeing many good reviews.
03-13-2014, 05:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by whitedog Quote
I've had a 20 since they came out. I have had several Impact IMDL 150 batteries for years. I use them often and had good success with them. Think I got mine from B & H.

That's a great one. Impact, Watson, Wasabi are all excellent third-party sources.