Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Circuit City SanDisk 2g $14.99 & story

Hi all. I was out and about Xmas shopping. On the list a P&S camera for my mom. I was looking at the Canon Powershot and for what my mom needs it should fit the bill. I know, I know it is not a Pentax but hey what can I say. So anyway, I started talking with a nice couple buying the same camera for their daughter. They asked if I thought it was good. I said so far from what I hear and read it is okay. The sales guy was annoyed as he was showing them everything and more and I said looks good and they said okay we want that one. I laughed. So I wonder over to pick out an SD card. I did a double and triple take. The had the 1g Sandisk SD card for about $34.99 just below it a 2G for $14.99 this must be a mistake. I ask can you check the price. Sure enough it was right. So I got one for mom and another for myself. Sure they are not super fast but for me, the first one I got about a year ago for about $70 worked fine this one will be just as good. So I gesture to the nice couple. Hey, you should get this card, the sales guy says " well the 1g Ultra for $39.00 is way faster" I said it sure is will your daughter be shooting fast action sports, "nope mostly out with her friends". Needless to say they again agreed with me and got the card. I did feel really bad and said sorry to the sales guy, come to find out he doesn't get commission anyway and was no big deal to him. But still, I laughed. I usually mind my own business but felt I could not bite my tongue. Anyway, for those looking for a 2g card here in the US. Head on down. Again $14.99

Last edited by vievetrick; 12-14-2007 at 08:40 PM.
12-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do that stuff all of the time in places like that, lol. I actually picked up some of the same ones there for $7 after rebate a few weeks ago. I've yet to pay more than $10 for any 2gb card.
12-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I did something very similar just a few weeks ago. A salesperson was trying to convince a couple to purchase a more expensive Canon. After listening for a few minutes, I told my wife to play along. At that point, I picked up the K10D and started telling my wife about it like I was trying to convince her to get one (she already has one, by the way). Everytime the salesperson said something about the Canon, I mentioned a similar feature on the K10D. And the more I talked, the more the couple were distracted.

I then went further to talk about shake reduction. My wife, now aware of the game, asked if another Canon on the shelf in front of us had shake reduction. When I said it and most Canons didn't (had to buy expensive lenses with that), she then commented about how expensive that Canon was compared to the K10D. At that point, the couple lost all interest in the salesperson. I went on to talk about sensor dust reduction, moisture seals, and how great the camera felt in one's hand. After holding the K10D for a few moments, my wife finally agreed she really wanted one for Christmas and we walked away. A few minutes later, I looked over to see the couple asking about the K10D, with the husband holding the display model in his hand.

We paid no more attention, going on about our own shopping in another area of the store. However, while in the cash register line some time later, the couple passed by with a camera bag in his hand. At first, I was disappointed to see the Canon logo on the bag. However, the couple saw us and slowed just long enough to tell my wife he had purchased the Pentax also. I said it was a great camera and good luck with it. We then exchanged Christmas greetings as they rushed out the door.

By the way, the Circuit City price for the memory card is a good deal. I would rush down to buy one, but I think the nearest Circuit City store is about 2,500+ miles away.

stewart
12-15-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Good story Stewart. I will get you a card but not sure if the shipping would be worth it Jodo wish I caught it then.

12-15-2007, 07:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I lucked out really. I was checking their site on Thanksgiving to see if there were any Black Friday deals worth going out for. Turns out they had these up on the site on Thursday for sale.
12-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've realized that standard 2gb cards aren't fast enough for my use I often take many shots in succession and so I have to get faster cards. I've found that the High Speeds (x60) are fast enough for storing, but the edge still goes to the super high speeds (x120+) for slightly faster buffer clearing and much much faster xfering to computer.