Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 03:43 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lightning Trigger

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi gyus.. I 'm looking getting into lighning photography this winter and i wanted to buy a light sencitive trigger for my k-5.. I found one cheap solution (this : http://www.ebay.ie/itm/180721967942?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 )
but it is for Canon. I far as i know pentax and canon 2.5mm triggers are fully compatible.. Am i correct? This would work safely with my k-5?Thanks in advance..

11-07-2011, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought the same trigger to use with my K7 & K20D. I have not had a chance to test it yet as we have not had any storms for a while. But thefew tests I have done with a light looks like it should work OK.
11-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks a lot mate.. You were most helpful..
11-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
About 10 years ago I had the Lightening Trigger company build me a custom trigger for the PZ1p. When I spoke to them on the phone, the key for the unit was to dial it in based on the milliseconds of shutter lag time. I had to help the guy at Lightening Trigger contact the right folks at Pentax USA as it was called at that time. Once they knew the lag time and I sent them a wired remote for them to modify and connect to their unit, the package was dialed.

So since the shutter lag time on the Canon is likely different (milliseconds are quick) the cross applicability may not be as good as you think.

I got the custom unit back when that company was brand new and very small. Don't know if you can get them to do custom work anymore? Having it dialed in right is pretty important for daylight lightening photography.

Best of luck!

11-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
Very intresting..I can't figure why the shutter lag time has to do with it.. I suppose as long the ligthning strikes, the trigger has it's own lag and after that it sends the signal to the camera.. Since the concept is to activate the shutter as soon as possible and not to syncronise with something i can't see any sense why the camera's lag would be an issue..Only if it is too big and at the end when the shutter is activated the lightning has ended.. But i think not... I don't want to question what you said Ron but i 'm just trying to figure this out..
11-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

From the ebay ad:

"The HSF-LT is the only lightning trigger that works on all DSLR cameras and allows you to capture lightning strikes on day or night!"

I'd buy it and if it didn't work, send it back.
11-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yes i argee.. It's not too expensive so it worth the risk..

11-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that "immediately" would appear to be the goal to catch the lightening. Just reporting what I was told. Actually, their website used to explain the duration of lightening strikes and milliseconds of shutter lag and such...or maybe that was in a flyer they distributed before websites were common? Not sure, but that was their pitch not mine.
12-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
Guys i have received this trigger and connects perfect..i changed the cord provited because it was too short but i have a slight issue..when it is connected the camera acts as if i have the shutter button half pressed and i cant review the shot taken..also the cord provited was mono and mine stereo but i think it did the same with original cord..any thoughts?
12-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dionisis_K Quote
Guys i have received this trigger and connects perfect..i changed the cord provited because it was too short but i have a slight issue..when it is connected the camera acts as if i have the shutter button half pressed and i cant review the shot taken..also the cord provited was mono and mine stereo but i think it did the same with original cord..any thoughts?
Try it with the mono cord. The trigger is probably shorting the two contacts that makes the camera think that the shutter is half pressed. The same thing happens to me when I use my radio trigger as a remote shutter.
12-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the 2.5mm TRS connector the Tip is shutter, Ring is focus= half press and Sleeve is common. A mono plug will result in continuous "half press".
A stereo plug should work unless wired for mono use, ie. ring shorted to sleeve. Could be how the trigger is wired internally.
12-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #12

Original Poster
Guys after contacting the manufacturer he suggested that the TRS was a bit to long and it caused it to malfuction.. His suggestion was to place a spacer so the pin dont enter the camera completely.. So i took a wire and cut it, keeping only the outside rubber and created a spacer about 2-3mm long and now it works like a charm.. I can review and edit my settings without having to unplug it.. Also thanks everyone for your suggestions..
12-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi Dionisi, you may want to take a look at this website for more ideas. They have both kits and schematics so you can build your own sensors, triggers, delays, etc.

HiViz.com: Learn High Speed Photography

I just got one of their kits for high speed photography that can be used for lighting also. As soon as I'll put it together and run some tests I'll let you know.

Best of luck,

Demetri
12-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Demetri but the unit works as intended now with that little tweek..
06-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got this same trigger and the cord it came with doesn't seem to fit quite right in my K-5. I may try the spacer idea but I'd really just like to have the correctly sized plug. I'm handy enough with a soldering iron I could build a cable as long as I know the correct plug to put on it. Does anyone know what the specs are for the K-5 remote plug/socket?