Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tripod Head Grease

Does anyone know where I can get the sticky tripod grease?
I'm not looking for thick grease or moly grease, but that new really tacky/sticky stuff they seem to be using in fluid and pan heads.

Its something new and its white - it's not lithium, but something that doesn't wash off easily.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

11-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moving this to the accessory forum. Hopefully you get some answers there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. NO replies.
11-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Thanks. NO replies.
When you say it's not lithium grease, are you talking about the lithium grease in aerosol? That's mostly propellant and small amount of lithium grease thinned with mineral spirit to be able to shoot through an aerosol nozzle. The lithium grease that's available in a tube for lubricating ball joints on an automobile or heavy machinery is thick and sticky. It's available in most automotive supply stores.

11-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
When you say it's not lithium grease, are you talking about the lithium grease in aerosol? That's mostly propellant and small amount of lithium grease thinned with mineral spirit to be able to shoot through an aerosol nozzle. The lithium grease that's available in a tube for lubricating ball joints on an automobile or heavy machinery is thick and sticky. It's available in most automotive supply stores.
Thanks, but I don't think it's the same stuff. The grease I am talking about seems to be put into fluid heads and is *very* sticky - much more so than something that is merely sticky. It's not for lubrication, but for stickiness/fluidity.

I've never touched stuff so sticky. It's almost like warm taffy.
11-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Maybe it *is* the stuff you are talking about, since I've never done automotive work to know what *real* lithium grease is.
11-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Thanks, but I don't think it's the same stuff. The grease I am talking about seems to be put into fluid heads and is *very* sticky - much more so than something that is merely sticky. It's not for lubrication, but for stickiness/fluidity.

I've never touched stuff so sticky. It's almost like warm taffy.
If this grease wasn't so sticky (sticks to everything), and if I could shape it into a ball I think it will maintain the spheroid form for a very long time. I found a tube at a farm equipment supply store that I wanted to use to lubricate stiff focus rings but without cutting the grease with machine oil, it's way too stiff to use straight out of the tube. A tube will cost you about 5-10 dollars and will lubricate hundreds of fluid heads or your favourite automotive lube/oil change outfit (like Mr. Lube), might be able to supply you with a bead of lithium grease.

11-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
If this grease wasn't so sticky (sticks to everything), and if I could shape it into a ball I think it will maintain the spheroid form for a very long time. I found a tube at a farm equipment supply store that I wanted to use to lubricate stiff focus rings but without cutting the grease with machine oil, it's way too stiff to use straight out of the tube. A tube will cost you about 5-10 dollars and will lubricate hundreds of fluid heads or your favourite automotive lube/oil change outfit (like Mr. Lube), might be able to supply you with a bead of lithium grease.
Hmm...It just might be the stuff I'm looking for. I will go and look for the real lithium grease.
11-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If it's viscous and white it might be packing gland grease - the waterproof stuff used in pump glands and ships stuffing boxes. I use it on my competition 4x4 that sees a lot of mud and water and it doesn't wash off. ( 32 years as a maintenance fitter in the water industry )

Water Resistant Grease

There's buckets for sale here, but try a boatyard or a pump workshop and they'll more than likely give you a cupful.

11-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are looking for something like /www.clearcoproducts.com/pdf/high-viscosity/NP-PSF-100000cSt.pdf. Silicon friction fluid. Not lithium grease.

Nye has a sampling kit for some coin. www.amazon.com/Fluorocarbon-Gel-868-10CC-Syringes/dp/B005KLD100

Maybe someone can add more info and a cheap source for this elusive stuff.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-30-2011 at 05:41 PM.
12-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

That silicone fluid is used in pressure gauges on hydraulic equipment to damp the needle, many industrial gauges use it - as stated in the link Ex Finn has put on.

Those gauges will be all over scrap machinery, and on the back of the gauge there is usually a little rubber plug that will prise out so you can get the fluid in, or out.
Maybe a trip to a scrap yard will find some for free ? If not, an engineering supplies store should have some.
12-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The quest continues...
12-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Actually, I've got some on my desk, not that that's much use to you.

But this small 5ml vial of silicone oil has the name 'Hach Company, Ames, IA. USA.' on the side , and the catalogue number is 1269. It might be the same stuff as is used in damped heads ?
12-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Have you tried contacting the tripod manufacturer to ask what they use or to try and buy some through them? Industrial suppliers will sometimes send small engineering samples out to potential customers but you need to know what to ask for and to explain your intended use.
12-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's the Manfrotto 128RC head that has the stuff I need.
I doubt Manfrotto will send me a sample since my quest is based on making my own head. I have my own metal lathe and mill and the concentric halves to the 128RC are pretty easy to make. The key component in the above head seems to be the grease used.

I think it would be easier to find the formula for Coca Cola.