Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

Just received my first KX and have some concern on accessories it came with

Just received my KX after anxiously waiting for it for a week and a day! I have been trying to turn it on by using the Pentax AC adapter it came with but it seems to not fit. I am not sure if is the wrong adapter but the seller I bought it from here told me it was for the KX.

Also looking for a recommendation on a good quality bigger memory card, some brand new AA energizer batteries came with it are these good to use? or What are some good quality AA batteries?

I am not sure where to start I am about to pop in the CD it came with to my PC to check it out. This is my first DSLR and is going to be a long ride to learn it.

11-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You dont need to use the adapter - I dont think the original K-x shipped with any adapters.
Yes, Energizer AAs are nice - but you may want to get some better ones - like Sanyo Eneloops or Energizer recharge.
The CD contains an Image processing application - you may not need it when you are starting out. Just use Picasa or something similar.
11-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
I was told the AC adapter was so I could use the KX at home from a power outlet without wasting batteries. I bought this KX used and he threw in the AC adapter as extra. I am going to look in those 2 brands as for batteries. What else would be something similar??
11-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The camera wouldn't have come with an AC adapter, and it is pretty rare and not something I would expect an off-brand company to even make - is it labelled as a Pentax adapter?

Your best bet, as already suggested, would be to invest in a set or two of AA rechargeable batteries. Those can vary in quality, however Eneloops were basically the recommended brand by Pentax for use with the K-x, and they should serve you well. If you take a lot of photos, you can expect to easily get 500-700 shots out of one charge. If you'll be taking more photos in a short time, you'll need more rechargeables, if not then one set will do.

11-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
I am pretty sure the seller wouldn't do me wrong unless he mistakenly send me the wrong one. But here is the link exactly what mine looks like Pentax K-AC84 AC Adapter Kit for Pentax K2000 & K-x 39762
It seems it does fit the KX but I can't seem to fit it in at all.

I was actually leaning more toward the Eneloops also I like that they are manufactured in Japan any ideas where I could find them for a good price? Which charger should I go for?
11-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #6

Original Poster
Never mind I finally figure out the AC adapter thing, it actually falls in between both battery slot and the cable go through a small hidden hole on the side. How do I post pictures here?
11-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #7

Original Poster

11-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I included the adapter (the original pentax one), it was not part of the original package.
And yes, you have to fit it diagonally
eneloops are good. I have a maha charger to recharge them (they work nicely)

if you have more questions just send me a private message, I will be glad to help you
11-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #9

Original Poster
Yea just power up this sexy baby, I might have to read the menu first all the features I HAVE NO IDEA what they mean. I was able to set up the simple things as date,time,
11-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlitosReef Quote
How do I post pictures here?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6-how-upload-photos-begi...tart-here.html

or

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/3280-tutorial-posting-ph...ckr-pbase.html

and of course...

Pentax Beginner's Corner Q&A - PentaxForums.com
11-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the link "SpecialK", any recommendation on the memory card?
11-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #12

Original Poster
ok guys some help here please!?

Here is a list of some SDHC memory cards I have in mind. But first I was wondering since I have a 8gb micro SD, if I buy an adapter would it work with my KX?

Pretec 32GB Class 10 Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card - $39.99 Free Shipping
Newegg.com - Pretec 32GB Class 10 Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card

Patriot 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card - $35.99 Free Shipping
Newegg.com - Patriot 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model PSF32GSDHC4

SanDisk 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) - $36.99 Free Shipping
Newegg.com - SanDisk 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model SDSDB-032G-B35

SanDisk Ultra 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card - $38.99 Free Shipping
Newegg.com - SanDisk Ultra 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model SDSDRH-032G-A11

Also I just got a SMC PENTAX-M 50mm 1:1.7 lens with Rokinon 49mm Skylight 1A filter, front and rear caps, I was wondering which reversed ring would it work for me since I am looking for one. I think is also a 49mm same size as the filter in order to fit. But there's a bunch of different brands and most of them I find on ebay are in China.
11-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #13

Original Poster
no one???
11-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

no idea about the sd adapter card. mine came with a 8gb lexar sdhc 100x platinum II card and it seems to work fine.

what do you want the reversed ring for? to switch the 1.7 around and use as macro? or to add onto another lens?

i've bought all my rings from china/hong kong. so far they've all been fine if a touch slow to arrive to australia (on average between a fortnight and a month). you just have to be aware of what you're buying. i got confused with the male and female threads...

if you want to attach two lenses together, lens side to lens side (as opposed to mount side) make sure you get male threads on both sides.

the 50mm 1.7 is a 49mm ring if that helps?
11-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #15

Original Poster
I need the reversed ring to use as macro. So if I get the ring with male threads on both sides I can use it as a reversed ring and to attach 2 lenses together?? I know is a 49mm just not sure what is suppose to look like or which one is good from Ebay.