Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
That brought back some memories for me!
Here's an article I wrote back in 2004 (but haven't updated since 2006) showing how I used that exact 486RC2 head under the pano rig I had back then. (And, wow, I'm so glad I left Canon for Pentax!) That's where my rather negative opinion of Manfrotto (and Gitzo) ball heads comes from... years of struggling to keep it all from flopping when I loosened the lock!
Boys and Girls along with those easily offended - Please, cover your eyes and ears for just a brief moment......
... and I thought that I was all by my lonesome in my hate and absolute distaste of the %^&* *#@$ &^%$*@& ballhead that Manfrotto designed.

Sure, arca-swiss plates and mounts are a bit slower to mount/dismount than the RC2 system, but much more stable and solid!

EDIT: I just re-read that tutorial of mine... and that was after 3 years of experience, where I now have 10. Jeez, I've been doing HDR panos for a really long time...
Actually, I find the AS plates to be much much faster by a quantum leap. I can never figure out which side is the front on the Manfrotto plate, so I am always just sitting there futzzing with it trying to get it locked in. With the AS plate, its just tip the camera back a bit and drop the rear in, set the front down and while still holding the camera, tighten the knob, then jiggle the camera to make sure its not going anywhere. It takes all of 2 seconds.

The there has to be a special place in h - e double hockey sticks, for the designer of the Manfrotto clamp lock. - I'll just stop there before I get worked up yet again....

Then its the single lever on the Manfrotto ball to tighten. If you try to loosen the lever to make a simple adjustment, you need to have a tight grip on the panohead / camera / what ever, since there is absolutely no friction - its either tight or flopping all over the place.

I paid a small fortune for the Acratech (my wife's pronouncement). My wife saw the bill and declared that it had better be jewel encrusted. When it came she wanted to see if it was made of gold. Upon looking at it she saw an astronomical instrument, and thought that it looked pretty cool - and I was out of the dog house. That is my very large hesitation in ordering the Acratech leveler - as in do I really want to go through that again.... However, after saying that, I have rarely been so pleased with something as I am with the Acratech GP. After using the Manfrotto the Acratech is such a joy to use. Night and Day difference.

I think I just finally convinced myself to not even consider replacing the Manfrotto clamp and just dump the 486RC2 all together and just go out and buy the Acratech leveling base with the clamp for my second tripod - and be done with it already - its only been 18 months on this decision.

Actually that was a pretty nice tutorial. And - the poll shot up the the trees, that you had a link to was wonderful.....

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-25-2011 at 09:30 AM.
12-07-2011, 02:45 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well the Acratech GP ball head arrived today and probably under the xmas tree by now. I got a camera mounting plate as well as a lens plate. I thought I had all I needed now.I wast to use the quick release system with my NN5 panohead but still cant work out what I need. The head came with an arca style swiss quick release system but cant seem to get it to work with the camera plate I got today. Must be doing something wrong. I want to be able to use the same camera plate on the tripod as well as the NN5.Any suggestions.
John
12-07-2011, 04:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

If you decide to get Feisol (I see you are looking at Gitzo), get it from http://fiesol.com. It's direct from manufacturer and you will save money on shipping. I got mine in 4 days shipped to australia.
I got myself CT-3442, since I need to be able to do long and difficult treks. So I needed something light and fully extended without the column it's more than high enough for me and I'm 6' tall.
It's built like a bull and I'm pretty sure the 3 section tripod would be a lot more sturdy. It's a lot better built compared to my manfrotto tripod, not to mention taller and lighter, the last part is very important to me.
12-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I think we'd need to see some pictures of the clamp and plate(s) in question - I've used plates from 5 different sources with my photoclam ballhead without any issues, all fit within the quick release clamp tolerance/spacing. So, some photos of what you've got (or links to the parts online) and how you want to put it all together would be appreciated!

QuoteOriginally posted by campdog Quote
Well the Acratech GP ball head arrived today and probably under the xmas tree by now. I got a camera mounting plate as well as a lens plate. I thought I had all I needed now.I wast to use the quick release system with my NN5 panohead but still cant work out what I need. The head came with an arca style swiss quick release system but cant seem to get it to work with the camera plate I got today. Must be doing something wrong. I want to be able to use the same camera plate on the tripod as well as the NN5.Any suggestions.
John

12-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #35

Original Poster
I think you are right about some pictures. I am ok with the ballhead as it will be perfect and the camera plates are good.
I have the NN5 Panoramic head and it came with an Arca swiss style plate. I think I wave got it worked out but will post some pics as well.
John
12-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I wast to use the quick release system with my NN5 panohead but still cant work out what I need. The head came with an arca style swiss quick release system but cant seem to get it to work with the camera plate I got today. Must be doing something wrong. I want to be able to use the same camera plate on the tripod as well as the NN5.Any suggestions.
John
Hey John,

If you got one of these with your NN5, and the clamp won't close tight enough, or the lever won't flip all the way to "lock" the plate in, don't despair. Gently pull the black plastic lever *away* from the clamp (it's spring loaded and captive, so don't worry) and reposition it anywhere along that arc so that it "settles in." Repositioning the clamp will allow it to fit the thickness of your new plates when flipped closed. Do it once for one brand of plate, and you're done!

If it isn't this issue, yes, some photos would help.

And I_O:
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Actually that was a pretty nice tutorial. And - the poll shot up the the trees, that you had a link to was wonderful.....
Glad you liked!
12-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #37

Original Poster
Hey John,

If you got one of these with your NN5, and the clamp won't close tight enough, or the lever won't flip all the way to "lock" the plate in, don't despair. Gently pull the black plastic lever *away* from the clamp (it's spring loaded and captive, so don't worry) and reposition it anywhere along that arc so that it "settles in." Repositioning the clamp will allow it to fit the thickness of your new plates when flipped closed. Do it once for one brand of plate, and you're done!

If it isn't this issue, yes, some photos would help.

And I_O:

Glad you liked!

I like the idea of the poles but leaving them alone until I work the NN5 out.
Well I have it all together now and did what you said about tighteneing the clamp.It all seems to work OK. The thing that worried me was that my Acrotech camer plate is long and only fits in the clamp on the pano rail in a vertical position and was worried about it slipping down while on the pano set up.Ill get a few pics up tonight to show what I mean.Has anyone ever used the easy leveller mounted on the tripod base then a ball head on top ot that or would it be an overkill.
John

12-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I like the idea of the poles but leaving them alone until I work the NN5 out.
Smart thinking. Pole panos add a whole new, kinda scary "looking at my precious camera gear swaying 10 meters up" dimension to shooting panoramas! And you almost have to use a fisheye!

Well I have it all together now and did what you said about tighteneing the clamp.It all seems to work OK. The thing that worried me was that my Acrotech camer plate is long and only fits in the clamp on the pano rail in a vertical position and was worried about it slipping down while on the pano set up.
Ah, that. Won't really budge once you get it tightened down, but you do need to be sure your camera is centered on the pano head, and a long camera plate can make it difficult to get this position repeatably. I use one of these on my camera plate as an alignment "stop" so it neither falls out accidentally, and every time I mount it, I know it is centered along that rail. Naturally, they are small and might be kinda expensive to send such a small item down under, so check if your local distributer has them in stock!

Bill from Nodal Ninja, if you're reading this, you're welcome!

Has anyone ever used the easy leveller mounted on the tripod base then a ball head on top ot that or would it be an overkill.
Overkill. Your Acratech should work as a much faster leveller...
12-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #39

Original Poster
Thanks Panoguy. Just wondering whether the stops interfere when using the camera on a ballhead. I only have a few millimeters either end of the camera plate. I found the stops in Aus for $11.77 but want $15.95 freight. Bit expensive I think.No onder we buy overseas on the net.
Ill keep looking.Might have to sell this leveller sitting here at my desk.
John.