Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's time for a new tripod, help

Ok, the tripod I got from Kmart 22 years ago has served me well. I bet I paid a whopping $25 for it and I would say if not for the fact I recently broke the mounting plate for the camera I would continue to use it for ever.

So now I am in need of a new tripod. I have always looked around for them but never really felt the urge to get one. The price range is so crazy from $30 - $500 (ok maybe not $500 but bet there is one that much).

I would be using for mostly still photo work but could do the occasional video of the kids playing sports or community event. I am guessing by price range (new or used) would be in the $250 range (I should tell my wife ) less would be better.

So many things to consider I guess as I type this. I would like it relatively light but not opposed to weight, would like it to be something I can use indoors and outdoors, a carrying bag would be great (my Kmart one did and I still use it) I do not do macro work. Back when I bought mine I didn't have to worry about heads, I think they all just had them.

Ok I am babbling now. So suggestions on what models or places to buy.

Thanks everyone.

11-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What features do you like with the old tripod, and what features would you change. That is a start in identifying the one that would be most suitable. Also, for video, I would think that a 3D panning head (with a handle) would be easier than a traditional ballhead....

... just my 2 cents worth from the peanut gallery.

11-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Look at Feisol for the legs, and they make great ball heads, but for video, a head more suited to video is preferable. One of the nice things about Feisol is that you can purchase a second mounting plate and put a head on it. Changing the plates takes no time at all (3 screws).
11-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

+1 on Feisol. Best bang for the buck out there.

BTW, tripods can go waay higher than $500. Take a look at higher end Gitzos.

11-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
so crazy from $30 - $500 (ok maybe not $500 but bet there is one that much).
$500 is not exaggerating that is actually kind of middle of the road. Good high end tripods, with a good head will be over $1,200. Look at the Gitzo line and heads from Arca-Swiss, Acratech, RRS, Martins, or others.

But seriously for that budget you can get a good tripod, though not carbon fiber. Look at aluminum legs from Manfrotto, Feisel, Benro or Giottos.
11-29-2011, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a 35-year-old Bogen 3021 tripod. Solid. I wouldn't take it backpacking, but I don't mind carrying it on my normal photo walks. I recently upgraded the head from my equally old Bogen 3028 to a ballhead from RRS. Kind of a funny combination with the old Bogen legs. But shows the advantage of having a tripod with a standard mount for the head. Most do, I guess.

The saying about tripods: cheap, light, good -- pick any two.
11-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The feisol looks nice but maybe a little over the budget. At least the few I looked at after a quick search.

(interested Obserever) I think easier to say what I didn't like. It was to short I think. I am only 6' but if I could have something it would be a little taller than the old one.

Jatrax - your not kidding.

Baro-nite -sometimes older is better lol ;-)

As I think about it the video part is not a major concern more like once in a while. I would like a handheld rig for the dslr for video anyway

11-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

There is a set of Manfrotto legs in the Marketplace that you may want to do some research on. Then all you would need to do is decide on a head.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/166871-sale-m...5c-tripod.html

Tim
11-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am also looking for a new tripod and what I have settled on right now (subject to change) is the Manfrotto 055cxpro4 about $350 and the Acratech GP about $400. I'm still looking at options but for me that combo seems to work. My budget was $800 so that fits. It seems to be one of the most versatile combinations although that might sacrifice some stability for the added features. I really want a leg set that allows an adjustable column for macro work and most say that those are less stable than a fixed column.

The problem is I keep looking at those Gitzos and wondering if I don't really need them instead. This is the last one I will buy so I am going to spend what it takes to get what I want even if I have to wait to save the money.
11-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For a medium duty tripod with a 3D head that's tall enough for a 6' person (without extending the centre column too much), try this: Manfrotto 294 Aluminum 3-Section Tripod W/3-Way MK294A3-D3RC2 I have tried this in the local camera shop and it's light(er) than my 055 but very stable. This tripod is available with a ball head (same price at B&H) which I would prefer over the 3D head but for video, a 3D head is much more convenient to use than a ball head.
11-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm a heretic around here I guess but I find my Dolica $18 tripod to be pretty darn good. Of course, I had a coupon so its more like $35-40 normally.......

Dolica Proline (Aluminum) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews
11-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Docrwm suggestion +1

Look out for Newegg, they have it for $19.99 from time to time but quickly went OOS. Normal price is $39.99.
If your $20 tripod serve you well, this will probably too, if you only use it occasionally. Mine serve me well over 2 yrs, but the ball head starts to move a little when I tight it (framing become frustrating).

If you shoot video, you want to get those pan tripod head (fluid head) for smooth panning, instead of a ball head. or get both head.

Lee
11-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Docrwm suggestion +1

Look out for Newegg, they have it for $19.99 from time to time but quickly went OOS. Normal price is $39.99.
If your $20 tripod serve you well, this will probably too, if you only use it occasionally. Mine serve me well over 2 yrs, but the ball head starts to move a little when I tight it (framing become frustrating).

If you shoot video, you want to get those pan tripod head (fluid head) for smooth panning, instead of a ball head. or get both head.

Lee
I transferred the head that came with the Dolica to my monopod (there are times that leaning is not in the cards due to crowd issues but I still want the support that the monopod provides) and replaced it with a great Manfrotto 496RC2 that came with 3 plates.

Manfrotto Mini Ball Head 496RC2 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews
11-30-2011, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm a heretic around here I guess but I find my Dolica $18 tripod to be pretty darn good.
HERETIC!!

Like they say about cameras, the best tripod is the one you have with you. If you pay so much for a tripod that you'll never take it anywhere for fear of breaking it or scratching it, or if it's so heavy that it stays in the trunk of the car... well, you'd be better off with anything else!
12-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Ok, the tripod I got from Kmart 22 years ago has served me well. I bet I paid a whopping $25 for it and I would say if not for the fact I recently broke the mounting plate for the camera I would continue to use it for ever.

So now I am in need of a new tripod. I have always looked around for them but never really felt the urge to get one. The price range is so crazy from $30 - $500 (ok maybe not $500 but bet there is one that much).

I would be using for mostly still photo work but could do the occasional video of the kids playing sports or community event. I am guessing by price range (new or used) would be in the $250 range (I should tell my wife ) less would be better.

So many things to consider I guess as I type this. I would like it relatively light but not opposed to weight, would like it to be something I can use indoors and outdoors, a carrying bag would be great (my Kmart one did and I still use it) I do not do macro work. Back when I bought mine I didn't have to worry about heads, I think they all just had them.
I think, with so many requirements, you should start to assess your options a bit moresystematically, by asking (and answering!) a few questions to yourself:

- What will be the longest lens you consider ever using with that tripod?
- What is the max. weight, you want to put on the tripod?
- How important is vieo to you, really? Is it 5% of useage or is it 30%?

Then you should start to sort your requirements, like:

- a carrying bag can be bought extra for any tripod, so whether it is part of the delievery or not, is really of not much importance.
- it is good to name a price range, but a good, and perhaps slightly beyond your set limit lying, modell might serve you litereally decades. Compromising too much now, will cost you dearly much sooner, than you expect (I speak from experience)
- to reduce cost, but keep the decisive factors, like stability and stabilty and longevity, you should forego carbon fiber tripods. Honestly, they are not that much more light weight, than aluminium modells, in the medium weight range. The difference becomes more pronounced oinly with the really big tripods.
- for video use, there is no real alternative to a 2D head. There are a few hybrid heads, which work as a photo ball head and a video: Manfrotto News & Events Manfrotto Photo-Movie Head or the much more massive FLM CB-48 FT ball head. You can block one axis and it works like a 2D head.

For a hands on suggestion, I would support the trusted Manfrotto 055 legs. Wether you need a modell with a tilteable column, is a question of your shooting habits (macro and table top work, would benefit from such a tilted column, but not much else). The 055 are cheap and robust and will withstand some abuse. I have mine for more than 15 years now and they even look good... Otherwise an old Gitzo can be found quite cheaply, as well, as many people nowadays buy carbon fiber tripods, simply assuming it is better.

Ben