Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The long cantilever effect is very demanding
Most long lenses have a lens mount for that reason. The length of the lens starts to put too much stress on the camera mount and body. But according to the lens database there is no mount for this one. I am not seeing an answer to this with that lens.

12-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The problem is not rotational shift, It's vertical bounce or shake. It very well could be flex at the mount and/or in the camera body.
I just played around with a bunch of stuff. I tightened the mounting screw to what I thought was reasonable, then tightened it some more; no difference. I ground the tip of the mount plate screw; didn't help. I used a business card as a shim to prevent rocking; small benefit. I used Sorbothane (rubbery shock absorber and vibration damper) between the camera and mount plate. It helped a little.

IMO there are three issues:
1. Slop in the mount
2. The base of the camera is not perfectly flat, which leads to rocking
3. The plastic camera bottom flexes

I am quite certain my woes are all down to the design of my cameras and the unreasonable cantilever load presented by the A*300. I can minimize the bounce by keeping my hands off the lens while I'm shooting, but that's not always possible with a MF lens. I'm keeping the Induro ball head and Benro legs, I don't believe they are contributing in any way to the bounce. One of these days I'll buy a camera with a metal body, which should help. I'll go the rest of the way when Pentax releases a lens that's longer than 300mm and has a tripod mount. I may try to find a thin rubber membrane to make up for the rounded camera bottom, but it's a two-edged sword. Rocking is decreased, but the membrane has flex, which introduces its own instability.

Thanks to all who contributed ideas. If you have any more input, I'm more than interested.
12-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO there are three issues:
1. Slop in the mount
2. The base of the camera is not perfectly flat, which leads to rocking
3. The plastic camera bottom flexes
Huh? I have the K10D (same basic chassis) and have none of the issues you describe. Unless your camera has internal damage to its chassis, it should not flex appreciably with a lens as light and compact as your A* 300/4. Truly.

I would point the finger at the plate first (screw too long or poor fit in the clamp not allowing a secure mount). BTW...how big is your plate? The minimum size for the K20D should be at least 50mm with a clamp at least that long. I use the Giottos MH 646 (LINK). It is cheap ($24 USD) and has anti-rotation tabs.

Second, I would point my finger at the tripod legs. When using my lightweight tripod and my heaviest lens with the K10D, I get a sag of about 1/4" at the lens tip with ALL of the motion traceable to the bowing (upward on one side and downward on the other) of the tripod legs just below their juncture with the spider. I have not used nor seen the Benro A2580, so can't comment whether this is the issue with your setup.

Steve
12-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't see that it could be chassis damage to the K20, because the K-x is a little more shaky.
The PU60 plate is 60mm
I filed the screw down, the length is not an issue
The legs are not flexing, For my tests, I only extended two of four segments, and I can't feel any movement. The load spec for the legs is 22 lbs, the spec for the ball head is 24lb.

12-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

From what you have described, it's really down to the design of Pentax bodies which flex since the MZ/ZX series. The vibration on tripod starts to become an issue with FA*200/2.8, and 300mm on crop DSLR is just unbearable I would imagine. If possible, you can try a mid-end metal Canon body with long tele and the difference is night & day.
12-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Does the K-5 suffer from this body flex?
12-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have never tried the K-5 on tripod so cannot tell.

12-18-2011, 01:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I have never tried the K-5 on tripod so cannot tell.
My new Manfrotto should be arriving next week before Xmas, so I'll know soon.
12-18-2011, 04:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I made the original post. I find if I use the grip the system tightens up noticeably. The wider flatter bottom of the grip helps the interface between the camera and plate, and the grip holds the body without the rocking. It's still not ideal, but much better. I'll try another mounting plate and see if that helps. Brandrx has linked a strange tripod mount that fits on the A*300 which I should address the issue completely.

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
If possible, you can try a mid-end metal Canon body with long tele and the difference is night & day.
I don't see why a metal-bodied Canon would be more solid than a metal-bodied Pentax.
12-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #25

Camera plate

Dan
Don't go out and buy another plate, I have one that is collecting dust that I will send you. It is a Kirk plate made for the K10-K20 grip. Please send me a PM with where to send it.

Cheers Chris
12-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Chris. I emailed you.