Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

Gissin viewfinder magnifier?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm looking for a cheap but quality viewfinder magnifier as I have a few manual lenses that I am tired of struggling to get in focus. I am keen on the Tenpa 1.36x but cannot for the life of me find it for less than $45 and I know many have paid only 30 or so. So my first question is where can I pick one up for that price?

Hpwever I recently stubbled apon another on ebay seen here: 1.08x-1.3x-1.52x Magnifier View Finder For Canon Nikon | eBay

I have been able to find no information about the quality or anything about it what so ever. does anyone know about it and have any opinions on it? I like the fact that it comes with several magnifications in one package, but I am weary that it is some cheapo piece of crap from china or even if it is truely compatible with pentax cameras. thanks in advance.

12-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would like to hear more about that too..Could be interesting.
02-10-2012, 02:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
Well it is fairly clear that no one has had any experiences with this product. I just decided to go for it and bought it from ebay. When I get it in about a week or two I'll let everyone know what I think of it, if anyone is still interested.
02-10-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Kynite. I'm still interested It would be great to hear at least the first impression

02-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #5

kynite,
I would also be interested to hear how the viewfinder works. I have purchases a few things from gissin before and have been pretty happy with the results.
02-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Kynite. Have you received it already? Im planning on buying it too if you like it
03-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well, it took quite a while, but it finally came in the mail today. The seller gissin shipped it the day after I bought it but it just took a long time to get here. Anyways, on to the important stuff.

The viewfinder and the adaptors and eyecups came in a very nice sturdy zip up pouch, which I am not sure I will use, but still a nice first impression. The adaptor it came on was the right one for pentax and slipped on with no problem, a nice sturdy fit. It also came with two eyecups, one is the round one they show in the pictures on the ebay page, and another which is more shaped for your eye (I will try to take pictures soon).

The viewfinder itself is nice but not stellar. I unfortuantly have never tried the more popular Tenpa magnifier, so I can only go off of this one. The first thing one notices is that it turns, and quite easily. It has a "zoom" function which lets you vary the amount of magnification from 1.08X to 1.52X. I personaly would rather have it just a fixed magnification. The 1.08X is not noticable but when you get up to 1.52X it sure is. Like it says it does, it gives a nice enlarged view of the viewfinder, however there is signifigant vingetting of the edges. The edges don't seem to be blured at all, but when looking streight into it, you cannot see the corners. This is a little irritating when composing shots, but all it takes is a slight move of the eye back and forth to make sure you have everything you want in frame. This is by far the worst aspect of this product, if it were to cover the whole viewfinder, it would be a fantastic product, but because of this, I would be a little hesistant to buy it.

Once again, I have no idea how this compares to the Tenpa, but I haven't heard of any problems with vingetting or other oprtical flaws. Hope this short review helps! I will try to get pictures up soon.

03-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Does it help at all in manual focus? I know its not the main purpose, but...
03-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #9

Original Poster
Yes! sorry I forgot to mention that. I use almost exclusivly manual lenses and that was one of the main reasons I got it. I would say it still does help a lot with that. Being that the middle of the image is sharp and big makes focusing much easier, it is really just composing the shot that is difficult with this viewfinder.
03-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, according to other users of similar products, the vignetting is omnipresent. The only downside I see is the one you pointed out yourself- the (slack?) zoom ring.
03-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you see the info displayed in the viewfinder?