Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Black Widow Spider Holster thoughts

Just a quick post to let people know how this works with Pentax gear.

I got mine a few days ago and have been using it with my K-x / Tamron 17-50 combo, and it works great! I had thought that I might be restricted to using primes with it, but a sub 500g zoom is fine.

I do occasionally check that the pin hasn't worked loose from the camera, but so far so good.

A really convenient product for when a PnS is too little, and a bag of gear is too much.

I got it for $50 on Amazon as the greedy company that distributes them here in Hong Kong has priced them at over $100!

So, even though it's made in China (and well made, I should add... it's not going to fail on you with the exception of the pin perhaps loosening), my unit has had to cross the Pacific - TWICE - to get in my hands for less than half the price than if I'd bought it at a shop less than 50 miles from the factory.

Black Widow Holster : The Black Widow : Spider Holster

12-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The same inexplicable pricing happens with many products. I had friends buying textbooks written and printed in Canada from Hong Kong for 1/3 of the pre-tax price here, with international shipping and taxes included. Even if they ordered late and went with international airmail rates they saved 50%.
12-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting...Does the camera flop around when you walk?
12-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not really. If my navel is at 12, I put the holster at 2pm, and it's fine.

I see you're a biker. I've moved (with a big gap) from 900cc to 180W and even cycling it's fine! (though I might suggest 4pm).

To me, this thing really works.

12-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been using the SpiderPro for about 18 months now, and it's definitely and invaluable tool for when I'm shooting with 2 bodies.
12-17-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm off to a large Christmas gathering of friends and families. Loads of kids, musical recitals and singing etc. This is a situation where a PnS is not good enough, and carrying a bag is overkill. I'll just be using the Black Widow / K-x / Tamron 17-50 combination. I do like this thing.
12-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #7

I've been using a Spider Pro for about 6 months now and would never go back to a strap around my neck. It's comfortable, out of the way, and secure. The camera does move, johnmflores, but it doesn't "flop around." And there's a lock that will eliminate any fear of your camera getting away from you.

Read Karl Grobl's glowing review here.

The Black Widow appears to be more or less the same thing, just for lighter weight gear.

12-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Not for me Im afraid. Im not one for wearing belts and having 4K worth of camera and lens hanning off my belt is a bit of a worry. I do a lot of climbing around when taking panos so i like the Black Rapid where I can carry a spare battery,cards and a mobile all in one.When doing street photography I can slide the camera around behind my back and out of view.
Everyone for their own. Ill stick with the straps.

John