Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Yep, I have one locally. I mainly go in there for comedic value though. For instance, I was looking for ideas for a pop-up flash diffuser, and saw one of these in their shop, however no price tag on it. They were very nice, let me try it out on my camera, and I'm thinking OK, it's gonna be marked up, but let's just see. They wanted $30+tax for this, which ranges from $2-4 on Ebay including shipping. I haven't had the impulse to return to that shop since, but I got a good laugh out of it that day. And they wonder why they're barely getting by, blaming online sales and big box stores for killing the brick and mortar shop.
You want comedic value? Try this:

Pentax K-5
Auto-Takumar 55/2

That's the display window of a camera shop and it is NOT an antique/used camera shop. That's NEW stock on display in the window. The card on the Disc 4000 says 新発売 (Newly released for sale). The gray on the shelves is a uniform layer of dust. A glance inside the shop revealed a lot of film P&S cameras from the same era and, yes, they were open for business. From what I could surmise, their "business" these days consists entirely of sending off film for processing and I guess they only maintain the farce of running the shop so they qualify for the lower business rate on their property taxes (a quirk of Japanese tax law regarding businesses with residences attached).