Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Recommendation for quick release plate?

I am quite new to owning a DSLR and need some advice for possible equipment. I recently had to shoot a small indoor event, which normally would be fine. Long story short, I was also asked to operate a video camera at the same time. I decided to put the camera on a tripod and trigger it by remote so I could focus on the video. The angle for the still camera turned out to be not very good and it would have been nice to have been able to quickly mount/unmount the camera from the tripod, an old Velbon unit.

I am considering that a quick release plate on the tripod mount could sort out this problem. I don't want to spend a lot for something I won't need that often, plus I don't think I'll need anything fancy. So presumably such a thing is available for around $50, hopefully less? Are they generic enough that I could use it with any tripod, like my old Velbon, or the cheap monopod I have?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

12-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not an entirely new aluminum tripod with ball head and quick release plate that is surprisingly solid for around $30-40?

Check out this review:
Dolica Proline (Aluminum) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews
12-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can get Manfrotto and Arca Swiss compatible plate adapters new at a variety of price points. Which one to get really depends on which plate system you want to buy into and whether or not the money would be better spent on a new complete tripod or head.

Examples:
Manfrotto 625 (3296) RC0 Hexagonal Quick Release Adapter 625 B&H
Manfrotto 384 Dove Tail Quick Release Adapter Assembly 384 B&H
Manfrotto 323 RC2 System Quick Release Adapter with 323 B&H
Giottos MH-658 Quick Release Assembly MH658 B&H Photo Video
12-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for pointing me towards that inexpensive tripod Docrwm. I hadn't noticed the site has reviews for various tripods, so I will take a closer look. Steinbeck, thanks for pointing me in the right direction for further investigation about plate systems.

01-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Amazon.com: Lightning Quick Release Tripod Mount and Plate For Dolica , Vista Explorer , Digital Concepts and Other Tripods: Camera & Photo

I have two of these quick releases with another one on order. They might look clunky, but perform very well. the camcorder "stud" is removeable. I have a very good tripod, a lesser tripod when I want to travel light but a tripod is a must, and my go everywhere monopod (which doubles as a walking stick). It also means I have enough plates to go around so they can be semi-permanently attached to my most used equipment, yet connect to any one of the above supports. The round shape has been especially nice as a "topper" on the monopod.

One other plug for monopods. Most museums ban tripods, but often ignore monopods (especially if they see you use it as walking assistance device, there is a big rubber tip, and they don't see a 1/4-20 screw coming off the top).
01-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the pointing out this other option Jim, very reasonably priced. Sadly, Amazon.ca doesn't seem to carry this. However, I do take the main point that besides the Manfrotto and Arca Swiss systems, there are other manufacturers. A bit slow on the uptake, but I'm now realizing, that like on my Gorillapods, other tripods also have some kind of a quick release plate, although not one that has been accepted as a standard. Obviously, things will be clearer once I step into a camera store and see/handle some equipment and hopefully talk to a helpful staff person.

I had been thinking to avoid duplicating equipment I already have, like my old Velbon tripod, but current models seem to have some interesting bells and whistles I might actually enjoy and use (pistol grips, ball heads, adjustable centre column, quick release, etc.). Anyhow, certainly there's no rush for me to go out and spend $200-300 and I will consider to weigh my options.

Appreciate the wisdom of others' experience.