Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Favorite camera filters?

I have a polarizing and graduated neutral density filter - but debating whether to get colored ones if Photoshop can essentially do the same in post processing. Are there any favorites you guys love? or hate?

01-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pete_pf Quote
I have a polarizing and graduated neutral density filter -
Those are the only two I would ever use - and I never use them :-)
01-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #3

SpecialK hit it on the head. There is virtually no need to use colored filters any longer (unless you are doing film, and then only when you don't scan the images).
01-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
The only filter I've used on digital is an IR filter. I have a circular polarizer which I have never used. On a few occasions I've needed a ND filter but I've never purchased any.

01-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will be the one to start an arguement and get my head kicked in here but I recently acquired a couple of used but quality FL-D (flourescent daylight) filters and find they give me a look to sunset landscapes I like and way faster than I could ever do it in photoshop. Also their use indoors under daylight flourescent tubes was faster and more satisfying than setting a custom white balance. May not be for everyone but they are cheap and just another fun tool to experiment with.
01-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Pol is always on it if the light is good and i didn't forget it.
It's mostly to cut the haze and brining out more colour and contrast in the foolage and the sky.
01-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gotta Have My CPL!

Well, I'd just as soon not take my camera, as go out shooting without a CPL. Got one in every lens filter size I own and a $50.00 Marumi CPL for my most-used size, 49mm. M's Forever!
It is the one "Make or break the shot" filter for bright sunshine photos, can see through glass reflections, water, reduce or eliminate bright reflections off metal surfaces, cuts glare and some flare, increases contrast, pops out clouds against a blue sky, retains or enhances true color rendition.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/20870-rbefly/albums/3878-rbefly-p...ture32934.html
Do you sometimes need sunglasses to see better?
So does your lens.
Are we including Skylight/UV? One on every lens, mostly genuine Pentax. Much cheaper than a new lens, a $10.00 (used, eBay) insurance policy.
Add a third-party metal lens hood and your lens is nearly bulletproof.
ND in 2 grades, for slowing down shutter speeds. Handy for panning, deliberate motion blur, time exposures.
Graduated blue and gold/orange for dull skies.
49mm FL for the same reasons as imtheguy.
I carry the 49mm filters stacked with metal screw-on caps, it's about the size of a fast 50mm.
Happy New Years!
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 01-02-2012 at 05:09 AM.
01-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

CPL's are useful... When I get a chance to go somewhere with a landscape to shoot, a CPL ends up on the lens... Futhermore, the shot that used the CPL is the shot that gets kept...

I would like a graduated ND... It would get used...

I have an ND8... I'd use it more if I had 2 more of them... Although I'm sure that would drastically affect the IQ... I use Cokin ND set-up wit a 67mm ring for the tamron17-50 and a 49mm ring for the FA50-1.4(used once)

Keep considering VNDX-67 :: 67mm Variable NDX Filter :: Vivitar ... Anyone any experience?

01-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote

I would like a graduated ND... It would get used...
I have a set of GND filters but i use bracketing now a days and do a subtle HDR, find it much easier than working with a GND.
How things changed right ^^

I'm curious about VND as well, might get one for studio work maybe...
01-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I'm curious about VND as well, might get one for studio work maybe
Let me know if you find a comprehensive review of the Vivitar... The only reviews I've found say very little...
01-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Filter Rant (abbreviated)

UV/Skylight filters are poor protection. PLs, CPLs, NDs, GNDs, IR-pass filters have been mentioned. Those are the most commonly used on digital cams.

IR-pass filters come with various cutoff wavelengths. Those of 680nm and 720nm pass enough visible light (VL) to be usable on unmodified cameras. A 780nm filter passes very little VL; stronger filters require a modified camera. NOTE: The IR 'filter' effect on our dSLRs is a bad simulation.

Standard B&W filters can be fun if shooting B&W. A Red filter increases dynamic range slightly, and can also roughly|badly simulate IR. A Green filter does just the opposite. But generally, B&W filters can be fairly replaced by digital filtration; see my quibble below. NOTE: A Yellow filter is fun for shooting (in color) glaring nighttime neon lights.

Early photo emulsions didn't see all visible light spectra, not until dyes were added to the formulae. The earliest emulsions were sensitive to ACTINIC light, in the UV-Violet-Blue spectra. I like to replicate the look of photos before the introduction of orthochromatic and panchromatic emulsions. I'll use a B&W Blue filter, or a CC (color correction) violet or blue-violet filter, to get that look.

Besides standard B&W filters are also split filters. I came across some that are clear on one half, Blue or Green on the other. (I don't yet know what to do with them, duh.) A similar approach is taken with split close-up adapters, which can give the illusion of extended DOF.

QUIBBLE: I disagree with those arguing for total abandonment of optical B&W filters. AFAIK digital filtration is achieved by mixing the RGB channels. Optical filters actually block and pass light of specific spectra. The effects are observably different.
01-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I use CPL quiet often, it saves me on PP later. Also ND3 and ND10 filters. The only colour filters I use are on flash, on white backgrounds and to balance with ambient light.

http://jarek.smugmug.com
01-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
QUIBBLE: I disagree with those arguing for total abandonment of optical B&W filters. AFAIK digital filtration is achieved by mixing the RGB channels. Optical filters actually block and pass light of specific spectra. The effects are observably different.
Doesn't the same happen with the RGB filter in front of the pixels.
01-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Doesn't the same happen with the RGB filter in front of the pixels.
Yes, but... those are band-pass filters for those particular portions of the spectrum. Mixing various proportions of those bands isn't the same as cutting off light transmission at specific wavelengths. For instance, I'll get very different effects with a digital Blue filter, the various 80A-80B-80C Blue filters, the 82A-82C cooling CC filters, and the 47B blue-violet filter. I have yet to find digital filtration that allows such fine control.

Sometime fairly soon, I hope to force myself to write an article on filters, and I'll include what references I can find on optical filtering. Maybe when my fever subsides.
01-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ones I use most frequently are CPL/PL and ND like most of the others (and don't really think these can be replicated or replaced in post). like Rio though i have used the others for fun, I've shot in b/w mode with my b/w filters and saved on pp time (shooting raw + and import untouched lets me fine tune if I like or go straight to the jpeg)
and there are lots of fun effect filters (Cross screen for stars for instance) yeah this can be done in post but they are cheap and it saves on post.
the colour correction filters (warming and cooling) I will still use some times. I can do it in post, but I have the filters so why not save time - though this can be achieved with wb cards that have warm and cool options)