Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #1

screen protector transfer function

Greetings all,

I just picked up a K-5 and was wondering a few things concerning the screen protector.

1. Should it cover to the LCD glass only, the seal around it, or even beyond?
-I have read about K-5s getting dust under the LCD and wanted to avoid that, but I not sure if going beyond the glass will ruin anything.
-I plan to get a universal protector and cut it down

2. No matter what protector I get, I know there will be some image loss, so I was thinking of building a transfer function:
a) take plastic protector cover half of LCD and snap a photo of the whole LCD
b) cut the image along the halves and subtract them in GIMP, this should give me the attenuation
c) invert the histogram
d) tune LCD in camera using d)

-Will this work? Do I use a white image in the LCD? Which histogram would I look at?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

01-04-2012, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
klh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to PentaxForums.

Regarding your selection of a screen protector, have you read the reviews here?

LCD Screen Protectors - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews

I personally haven't seen the need to deal with modifying the back screen image, but what you describe sounds interesting. Let us know how it goes.

Kevin
01-04-2012, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

If you see dust behind the LCD the camera should be returned as the weather seal will be ineffective. Buy a bespoke protector for the K5.

As to the image loss, no LCD on any camera, let alone Pentax, can be relied on for for this purpose. In any event, you'll only be seeing a JPEG image.

Use the histograms to check on exposure, a calibrated monitor to view the shots, and shoot in RAW for quality and PP control. I shoot Raw+.
01-04-2012, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Modern screen protectors, if applied correctly, won't screw up what you see- but you should always be checking the histograms and for bright/dark areas when shooting!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for your awesome answers!
I can see I have to do some homework.

I was partially motivated by being able to get a clearance priced Rocketfish protector at Futureshop and making it workable.
But I also realized a big flaw would be that when I take the initial photo comparison, it would be with the backing on, so that wouldn`t help.
If I take it off, it pretty much got to go on the screen so no time to take a good photo.

Thinking along what was stated here about file formats and the histograms, I will try to recalibrate after using test images.
I had seen a poor rendition with my Blackberry protector, as opposed to what was mentioned her, but again realize I had the backing on.

Thanks for the excellent pointers, I look forward to more discussion in the future.
01-12-2012, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is the best solution for the screen - GGS LCD Screen Protector. Enjoyed this on K100D, K20D. The challenge now is to K5. Would recommend. GGS LCD Screen Protector