Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #1

Looking for Field equipment

Okay so i just got the pentax k-r for christmas been wanting this camera for over a year now SO happy. Anyways a lot of my young life revolves around motorcycles and i love taking pictures of them obviously, I ride a dirt bike street bike and soon another dual sport to get me placed the dirt bike cant legally get me So im looking for a camera bag that will be able to protect my camera and take some abuse, that can fit an extra lens and a tripod (<< not a huge deal i can strap this to the bike)

If this is a repeat thread or there is another thread that has what im looking for that i missed in my skimming of the forums then please redirect and i will remove this thread. Thank you!

01-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try a lowpro back pack... available in most camera shops and often discounted. The truth is though... most bags nowadays are rather well made and durable.
Lowprow do an intesting line in there AW back packs though. AW standing for all weather.
01-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
oKAy i was looking at low pro's and i know they are a good bag, was looking at a sling shot i think :S

I forgot to mention impact, chances are i might fall over once or twice with the camera on my, i dont with warranty covers motorcycle wipe outs :P

Is there a pelican case that could hold the camera and put that in the lowpro back pack?
01-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bloodhay Quote
oKAy i was looking at low pro's and i know they are a good bag, was looking at a sling shot i think :S

I forgot to mention impact, chances are i might fall over once or twice with the camera on my, i dont with warranty covers motorcycle wipe outs :P

Is there a pelican case that could hold the camera and put that in the lowpro back pack?
Not really no.... and have you felt the weight of cases like the pelican ? lol
It has been shown and demonstrated in the past that solid boxes are not as good as bags in high impacts.
Ive seen demos of an egg being put in each and dropped off roofs lol. Amazingly it was the soft bag that the egg survived every time.
It would seem when an object is kept solid it still gets impact where as the objects in softer areas get cushioned at the begining of the impact.
Ive been a biker myself... mostly super bikes... but Ive had new TTR yam 600 which I turned into a supermoto and Ive had both Honda
XR 400 and XR600 bikes on my long list lol. If I was off roading and wanted take camera gear I would buy some kind of either saddle bag
or even tank bag and buy the foamed dice sponge and basicly build my own. The diced foam was available from Jessops if they still do it.
But your equipment would be safer there, than on you in the event of a spill. So would you ! Not nice having a zoom lens implanted in your back.

01-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations on your new Pentax! There's a Lowepro bag that had a big ad campaign involving Ski Patrol folks using it. Lots of jarring, some tumbles, etc. and because it was a harness arrangement with the bag mounted on the sternum it was pretty protected due to human nature in a fall. Might look into that - can't seem to recall which model though - sorry.
01-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
Awesome thanks for the info guys hopefully i find the right bag today at the camera shop :P
01-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a Lowepro Dryzone Rover and have loved it. The top portion is like a normal backpack, but the bottom is padded, waterproof and sealed with a thick zipper. The padding in the bottom could be removed if you wanted to do a custom foam of some sort to protect during a fall. there is also a tough fabric section that folds out and using a bungee type set up to carry a tripod on the back of it, which folds away when not in use. The bag has a chest and waist clips for added stability, and also comes with a hydration system if that interests you at all.

I have used it during hikes in the rain, snowshoeing, traveling, the beach and it has worked great. Also it has taken a few tumbles down rocky slopes...combo of a strong DSLR body like Pentax and the body it was no worse for the wear. The only negative is since the zipper is so thick and waterproof, it can stick and separate sometime if you are drying to close it. This is remedied by keeping it lubed with the get they provide...not a huge issue.

Last I checked it came in all black, and black with some yellow piping. Check out the link for some more info:

01-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #8

Original Poster
Sweeeet okay im going to return my other lowpro and order that thanjs for the info and vid link im assuming this is the bag that doc was talking about

01-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bloodhay Quote
Sweeeet okay im going to return my other lowpro and order that thanjs for the info and vid link im assuming this is the bag that doc was talking about
No problem. I've abused mine, and it's still functions like the day i got it...hope it works out for you too. Enjoy!