Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
The bigger tripod is in a bag with a sholder strap. I don't use it in the field much unless I know I will have a specific need. My smaller tripod gets straped externally to my bag (shoulder strap type with self-storing fanny pack belt) if I don't know and don't mind the extra bulk. My monopod doubles as a walking stick if I'm on foot for long distances or is my support of choice if I'm shooting action - if not in use, it can either take the place of the smaller tripod on my bag, or be attached to my belt (although I tend to feel like Zorro ). All 3 have the same quick release system. I also carry a small clamp with a ball-head and self-storing screw peg-legs in my bag; along with a section of double sided velcro (lamp posts or small tree trunks). I can typically find a fence, a table, the edge of a partially open car window, 'something' to which I can attach the camera.

If I am really tight on space and weight, I have a small SLR bag that will accommodate a short zoom. I can slip in the clamp and/or bring along my monopod.

BTW, if I am expecting any situation with moving crowds, I almost never bring a tripod. Some fool will trip over a leg and Murphy's Law dictates the tripod will be JUST outside my ability to grab it when it goes over.

01-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I never was a big fan of tripod bags until I got one of the Giottos Vitruvian tripods. The bag that comes with it is as compact as the tripod, but still has room for some accessories and is sturdy enough to offer good protection. I keep extra quick-release plates and a cable release there, among other things.