Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Billingham 207 vs Billingham Hadley Pro

Hi,

I inherited a Billingham 207 from my brother and I feel it is a very good bag....except it seems a bit bulky in size. From Billingham's website, it appears the Hadley Pro is more compact in size while retaining almost the same size in terms of width and height. The depth is much smaller at 120mm (D) whereas the 207 is 180mm in depth and because of this, it is to me that the 207 is a lot bulkier. I am thinking of selling the 207 and use the funds for a hadley pro but I am not sure if this is a wise decision. I can't find any store locally selling the billingham so I can't go and have a first hand look personally.

I am hoping any pentaxians who have used these 2 bags chip in with their comments please?

Thanks
raider

01-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the Hadley Pro bag for a while, and it carried my old camera outfit, a Canon 5d, 17-40, 24-105, and 70-2002.8. It of course weighed a ton with all that stuff in it, but it stayed reasonably close to the side. While it is a fantastically well made bag, and handsome too, I sold it because it just wasn't the most useful bag to shoot out of for me, and my shoulders got tired of carrying it. Today I use a smaller Pentax outfit and a Clik Elite sling bag, which is much more comfortable to carry, and much quicker and easier to work out of. I can also carry a small Gitzo 0 series tripod on the side, something I couldn't do with the Hadley Pro. The nice thing about the Hadley Pro was you could carry a small powerbook in the back, as well as the gear mentioned, if your shoulders are big enough to carry it. It also quickly converted to just an open shoulder bag if needed. So although I liked it, I don't think I'll be getting another Billingham bag, except for the smaller one after I win the lottery to carry my Leica M9 outfit that will be purchased with the winnings..
01-08-2012, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

Hi Raider

I don't have the 207 but I tried one out when I was looking at Billingham bags and went for the Hadley Pro because it was slimmer profile and looks/feels smaller.
For me I find that the extra depth on camera bags makes them more likely to get in the way of people in crowds and makes it more likely that you'll be asked to leave it at reception when visiting museums or historic properties.
I also love the look of the Billingham bags. It is a classless looking bag and doesn't scream 'expensive camera kit inside'.

In terms of operation I like the fact there is no velcro, it makes it so quiet to open but it still feels very secure due to the 2 buckles.
Inside the main compartment i can fit a K5+16-50 with the 50-135 in the other side. I can also squeeze in a couple of primes such as the da21 and da70. The 2 main pockets on the front will then hold batteries, memory cards, filters, wallet, keys etc or you could fit a small prime in but there is no padding. I have one of the smaller pouches for the side but rarely use it and if you are carrying anything over a kilo or so I would get the shoulder strap pad as well. It is very good.

I think if you like the 207 but want slimmer, the Hadley Pro will be perfect.

Paul
01-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks CaptMatt and Paul, appreciated your comments.

And thanks to you Paul, I think my decision to go hadley pro would be a good one. Cheers again.