Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
legacy shutter release for dSLR

Okay, for some totally inexplicable reason, Pentax stopped supported a legacy shutter release on some of its dSLRs. In my case, the K-r. The only way to trip the shutter remotely is using the self-timer or an IR remote. And the biggest problem with IR is that it is line of sight. The signal has to come from the same side as the receiver.

I know there is an IR receiver for the remote on the front of the K-r body. But there is a second IR transceiver on the side of the body. For sure it is used to allow two K-r bodies to talk to each other, but does anyone know if it will also act as a second remote shutter IR port?

Some folks have talked about rigging a reflector to use the IR remote from behind the camera. By any chance has someone manufactured an IR remote with a screw port for a legacy pin-type remote cable as a secondary switch? After all, the metal pin would work just fine as a switch. Then you should be able to put the remote where the IR LED can be seen (Velcro patch near the IR receiver?) and use teh legacy shutter release cable anywhere it will reach.

If nobody can identify such a critter currently on the market, how many of you would commit to such an item (and what is the max you would pay)? I'm betting some enterprising Hong Kong business could be convinced to make a Pentiax IR remote with just such a modification - provided there is enough of a market to justify the tooling cost.

Last edited by JimJohnson; 01-09-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: grammar error
01-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There are a number of wireless shutter release contraptions on the market. They use wireless signals instead of IR and have a receiver that plugs into the camera. They aren't line of sight and are good for some distance. Cactus makes them. I picked up an Aputure unit from Amazon, seems ok.
01-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does not even use IR: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/142591-diy-digital-slr-camera...e-release.html
01-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Moo

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
and have a receiver that plugs into the camera
But the K-r lacks anywhere to plug in any type of remote, mechanical or electrical.
I don't see why they've done this... Cost-cutting? More differentiation between low and high range cameras? Simplification?
It's one thing putting me off the K-r, or its replacement if that continues the trend.

01-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
It's one thing putting me off the K-r, or its replacement if that continues the trend.
K-x suffers from the same limitation, so the trend has already been set.