Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gimbal Head knockoff from Great Foto (ebay)

This is the $79.99-99.99 version depending on what add you see. Since I've only played with a "real" Gimbal for 5 minutes in a brick and mortar shop a while ago I can't say that I am the best judge of their respective characteristics. I think this will work in terms of supporting the weight of a super telephoto lens since it seems burly and well constructed. Anyone have any thoughts?

01-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Yeah, there are lots of these popping up now. Seems the folks at Wimberley really started something (after watching astro folks!).

The only real way to know how well it works... is to work it, work it (and now I have that song from "Madagascar" in my head!). If every part is made from metal, and the knobs lock tight and can be loosened a bit to provide tension (to keep your lens stable) then it probably will do the job for most lenses.

One question about your last photo: will your (admittedly monster) lens "fit" when the platform is lowered enough to center the lens along the tilt axis? If not, then don't use that lens, as that image shows it is just balancing it on top of a very tall ball-head. Gimbals are supposed to cradle your lens within the tilt axes and have adjustable tension so you can point the lens easily and still take a shot at lower shutter speeds without vibration or movement. Balancing a really big lens on top of something just asks for vibration...

Last edited by panoguy; 01-10-2012 at 08:27 AM.
01-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'll be interested to hear how it works for you. I wouldn't use one very often but it would be nice to have on occasion.
01-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow...$79 instead of $600! These are wonderful to use with large lenses so I think you'll really enjoy it. It looks like the one you found will work well for a good number of large lenses out there, the only drawback is as Panoguy pointed out, the horizontal lens mount is closer to the vertical mount mount than some. You should be able to get the lens balanced so you can pan it up and down and side to side with 2 fingers.

I think it will work fine for most lenses as the mount doesn't need to have the horizontal piece sitting at the bottom to get it to swivel.

Here is mine for comparison....

01-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Wasn't that a line from "Boogie Nights?"
01-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Wasn't that a line from "Boogie Nights?"
I threw it in as you can see the distance needed between the lens mount and the side of the gimbal mount. I think your version of the Gimbal might still be fine as the mount on the 1200 goes up quite a ways. The 600mm in 645 is the same, and the 600mm in 35 has the mount a ways back, so it should be fine too.....

I'll be interested to hear how it works out....
01-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
will your (admittedly monster) lens "fit" when the platform is lowered enough to center the lens along the tilt axis?
Yeah it fits, it is close but there is no rubbing. This is a uniquely shaped lens compared to the others I have used, it has no taper back to front so you don't gain any space as you get closer to the camera. I went out this morning and it was a welcome addition. I will post some photos probably in the 300mm+ club or the post your photos section and then maybe link them here. Some of the shots I took wouldn't have been possible without the head. Tracking moving objects with this type of head will be really nice with just a bit more practice.

01-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
This shot reminded me of Wilson from Home Improvement with his head mostly obscured while he tells Tim about the weird things he has seen, like a lens that is twice as long as all other lenses and that only 2 of them exist in the world.
01-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Hey littledrawe, looks great, and for the cash, you simply could not go wrong, I'll try and get some better pics of the Desmond and post up a comparision.

These swinging mounts certainly do make a huge difference dont they. What length lens plate are you using?
01-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I was contemplating one of these as well until I managed to scrounge up enough money to get a jobu jr.3 gimbal. It certainly looks to be of reasonable quality, but I think the long term use will be most telling, so you'll have to periodically check in with the thread! Things we can't see like bearings, lubrication, types of metal used for various parts should be what separates this from the more expensive 'name brands' in the market. I'm definitely watching the progress none-the-less, it is always good to have market competition!
01-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
it is always good to have market competition!
Anything to drive down the price of the $600.00 original!

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
These swinging mounts certainly do make a huge difference dont they.
AMEN sir!! I got a 115mm plate from rainbowimaging on ebay just because I was not sure what length I would need. I think it will work.

Here are some photos from this morning and my first attempt at using it with my new-to-me 2X converter. Some of these are handheld and some are with the tripod and Gimbal head.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/171346-nature-raptor-vil...ml#post1774862
01-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #12

I have travelled around China heaps of times over the past few years and this is a brand that is in many camera shops and makes a good "best of the rest" case when it comes to quality. Hope it lasts well and brings you the happiness from your photography that you are seeking.
02-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Hey littledrawe,

Sorry its taken a while, but here's a link to a write-up I've done on my whole system.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/174187-my...ml#post1810600