Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
green laser... no, not a new superhero

saw this listed recently... adorama is selling it for 149-
anyone had any experience with it... sounds like a brilliant concept..
but does it translate into practical and effective useage....
thanks all... dave m

Auto focus works with Pinpoint to stop focus problems. | DeluxGear

01-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Pointing a laser near people is a bad idea. You risk accidentally shining it in someone's eyes or bouncing it off a reflective surface into your own eyes. Green lasers tend to be more dangerous to vision than red. That manufacturer has a page of warnings about pointing it at people. Then another page extolls the merits of their laser: "Pick subjects out of a crowd".

Maybe I'm touchy on the subject because I was accidentally zapped during a conference (no permanent damage, fortunately) but I would confront someone using this product around a crowd.
01-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I'd be a bit leary about using this around people in a non-controlled environment as well, but it's a really nice idea. Not as nice as going to a stationers or gadget shop and buying a laser pointer for a few quid and glueing it to a hot shoe cover plate though, which I reckon I might well try.
01-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A laser can also ruin your sensor if it plays across it.

I'd honestly avoid this product.

01-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hold on here....while a harsh laser isn't a good idea, the K5 already will throw a green light at the subject to assist focusing. There is sometimes a delay and the system hunts a bit so extending that principle could work. As long as this product isn't using a strong laser, it's feasible that it could be a useful product in certain conditions.

I also notice it is geared towards Nikon and Canon too....
01-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What others have said is very right. Additionally, there are various state regulations about the use of lasers in public by non-law enforcement personnel - so it may in fact be illegal in some jurisdictions.
01-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Hold on here....while a harsh laser isn't a good idea, the K5 already will throw a green light at the subject to assist focusing. There is sometimes a delay and the system hunts a bit so extending that principle could work. As long as this product isn't using a strong laser, it's feasible that it could be a useful product in certain conditions.

I also notice it is geared towards Nikon and Canon too....
The K5's focusing light is a green light but it's not a laser. "Laser" is a very specific term and the manufacturer says their product is a laser. A laser is definitely hazardous to vision. A stronger laser has a higher risk of vision damage, but any laser product is too risky to point at people in an uncontrolled environment.

(The K5 probably uses an LED for its green light. LED != laser.)

01-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thought i'd do i bit more digging so as to illuminate the safety of the laser in question..
from the mfg site..Class II, green (532nm) DPSS diode with <1mW of power. DeluxGear certifies to the purchaser that the PinPoint complies with all the requirements of the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) laser product safety regulations

and.. googling yielded this..
The light emitted from these devices has been set in accordance with IEC60825. However,
staring into the beam, whether directly or indirectly, must be avoided. IEC60825 classifies
laser products into three different categories depending on light emitted, wavelength and
eye safety.
CLASS II
“Caution”, visible laser light less than 1.0mW. Considered eye safe, normal exposure to this
type of beam will not cause permanent damage to the retina
http://www.prophotonix.com/uploads/pdfs/ProPhotonix%20Green%20Laser%20diode%...s%20061210.pdf
01-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The K5's focusing light is a green light but it's not a laser. "Laser" is a very specific term and the manufacturer says their product is a laser. A laser is definitely hazardous to vision. A stronger laser has a higher risk of vision damage, but any laser product is too risky to point at people in an uncontrolled environment.

(The K5 probably uses an LED for its green light. LED != laser.)
While my other post might not have properly articulated it, I think we are in agreement. I still think the product (or something similar) might be quite useful, provided the "laser" issue is sorted out.
01-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Why not just use spot-beam on a hot-shoe flash? Seems to work fine and you can get some older flashes with spot-beam cheap (I bought one for $19.99 on ebay last year).
01-12-2012, 03:28 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

CAUTION: Do not stare into laser with remaining eye.
01-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Those green lasers shined from the ground have temporarily blinded pilots in airplanes. I think that is a federal crime now. That's how strong they are. That's how far away they are dangerous to eyesight.

"Pick a person out of a crowd" has no place in a green laser advertisement; clearly that would be irresponsible.

But for example, in architectural photography, for obtaining focus, especially at night, a green laser dot works better than anything else!
01-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
Why not just use spot-beam on a hot-shoe flash? Seems to work fine and you can get some older flashes with spot-beam cheap (I bought one for $19.99 on ebay last year).
sounds interesting... name of flash u purchased? thanks, dave m
01-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
K5 already will throw a green light at the subject to assist focusing.
That's not a laser.

Being an optical designer by trade and having created and assembled lasers myself, I can give a few pointers.

A laser illuminating the subject will be a wonderful help for an AF system. The concept is great, but they did not invent it (I've been using red lasers with hologram tips bought at the dollar store to focus for a long time). Sony also had a red laser AF assist system on their compacts a few years back.

Laser light is not ALWAYS dangerous for human eyes, but if you're not sure then assume it is. Anything above a class I laser will be dangerous at some point, a class III or IIIa will be instantaneously damaging, a class II after a few seconds.

for static subjects, with the camera on a tripod, this would work well. For moving subjects or when the camera is moving, even slightly, it will not work well.

If you're interested in this concept, get yourself a cheap laser pointer sold with holograms (making cute patterns like stars or flowers) and this will help you focus. No need to pay 150$ for a green laser.
01-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That's not a laser.

Being an optical designer by trade and having created and assembled lasers myself, I can give a few pointers.

A laser illuminating the subject will be a wonderful help for an AF system. The concept is great, but they did not invent it (I've been using red lasers with hologram tips bought at the dollar store to focus for a long time). Sony also had a red laser AF assist system on their compacts a few years back.

Laser light is not ALWAYS dangerous for human eyes, but if you're not sure then assume it is. Anything above a class I laser will be dangerous at some point, a class III or IIIa will be instantaneously damaging, a class II after a few seconds.

for static subjects, with the camera on a tripod, this would work well. For moving subjects or when the camera is moving, even slightly, it will not work well.

If you're interested in this concept, get yourself a cheap laser pointer sold with holograms (making cute patterns like stars or flowers) and this will help you focus. No need to pay 150$ for a green laser.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense to me. I still wonder about the impact of reflected laser light on the sensor though.