Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #1

SD Cards and my new K-r.

OK... here's the deal.

I just bought a K-r and it's my first DSLR. I have used SLR's in the past and I also have a P & S digital..

So after tramping around this forum for the past 1/2 hour plus and not seeing anything come up in the search engine about SD cards all by themselves, I decided to start this thread HERE because it pertains to the K-r.

When it comes to SD cards....

- what brands do you guys prefer?

- what GB size meets your needs?

- what are you paying for it? Please specify size/brand.

- where are you finding the best deals on cards?

- roughly speaking, how many pics do you get on that card?

- are there any brands I should stay away from?

- have you encountered cards that did not come close to their rated capacity?

- when is it prudent to use a high speed card instead of just a regular card?

01-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a regular question here and there are a variety of threads and opinions.

My own opinion is that the SanDisk Extreme III Class 10 cards are your best bet. They are faster than many but do not exceed the camera's ability to read/write. Many will suggest that you save money on other cards, I think that is a false economy. You spent a lot on your camera, you should invest in reliable (and SanDisk has a great reputation in that regard) cards that maximize the potential for your camera IMHO.

As for size of cards, I used 8gb cards with my K-x and K-r and have been happy but moved to 16gb cards for my K5 due to file sizes.

You can get SanDisk Extreme III 16gb cards for the $25 range if you are a good shopper. Amazon and Adorama have been the lowest reliable sellers that I have found for them recently.

Counterfeit cards are more and more common and your best defense is to avoid unknown sellers. I got some Sony cards a couple years ago that were indistinguishable externally but were clearly not as fast nor as large as marked from an eBay seller. Turns out he had a rash of such sales and was banned subsequently. I stick with B&H, Adorama, and Amazon now and am very happy to pay $2-3-4 more and know what I am getting.

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-12-2012 at 03:26 PM.
01-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #3

i think posting this on k-r section is better (this is k5 section)

about sd cards, i haven't really think much about it.
a 4gb micro sd card with a sd adapter work just fine on my camera.
but i did bought a 8gb class 10 card off amazon for roughly $15 and the transfer speed (from card to pc) is a bit faster.
8gb can hold around 230 raw file on my camera, and should be a lot more with jpg files.
01-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd just echo Docrwm on this. SanDisk is my preferred brand. The other thing is to periodically format your card instead of deleting images and reusing it. Periodic reformatting is a good thing.

01-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #5

Lexar Professional 8GB is my preference.
01-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatever you decide, do not buy from ebay. many of the cards offered there are knock-offs. Buy from a reputable dealer. BH Photo video has decent prices. Even Amazon is problematic if the item is not sold by them.
01-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by telly0050 Quote
+1 for this
01-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I'd just echo Docrwm on this. SanDisk is my preferred brand. The other thing is to periodically format your card instead of deleting images and reusing it. Periodic reformatting is a good thing.
+1 on the formatting recommendation. Fewer problems since I adopted that recommendation myself.

01-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sandisk Ultra or Extreme
01-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
This is a regular question here and there are a variety of threads and opinions.

That doesn't surprise me. Perhaps it's my unfamiliarity with the search engine that prevented me from finding those threads. I'll try again. I would like to view the widest range of opinions.

My own opinion is that the SanDisk Extreme III Class 10 cards are your best bet. They are faster than many but do not exceed the camera's ability to read/write. Many will suggest that you save money on other cards, I think that is a false economy. You spent a lot on your camera, you should invest in reliable (and SanDisk has a great reputation in that regard) cards that maximize the potential for your camera IMHO.

As for size of cards, I used 8gb cards with my K-x and K-r and have been happy but moved to 16gb cards for my K5 due to file sizes.

You can get SanDisk Extreme III 16gb cards for the $25 range if you are a good shopper. Amazon and Adorama have been the lowest reliable sellers that I have found for them recently.

Counterfeit cards are more and more common and your best defense is to avoid unknown sellers. I got some Sony cards a couple years ago that were indistinguishable externally but were clearly not as fast nor as large as marked from an eBay seller. Turns out he had a rash of such sales and was banned subsequently. I stick with B&H, Adorama, and Amazon now and am very happy to pay $2-3-4 more and know what I am getting.

Thank you kindly for your advice.
01-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hydriv Quote
Thank you kindly for your advice.

No problem. Its an important part of the process.
01-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by telly0050 Quote

Why would it be better? I thought that all you guys with the higher-end cameras were far more experienced then those of us with the el cheapo models. I'm just trying to tap into what should be a better knowledge base. Thanks for sharing the information below. Every bit helps with my edjukashun.

about sd cards, i haven't really think much about it.
a 4gb micro sd card with a sd adapter work just fine on my camera.
but i did bought a 8gb class 10 card off amazon for roughly $15 and the transfer speed (from card to pc) is a bit faster.
8gb can hold around 230 raw file on my camera, and should be a lot more with jpg files.
Cheers telly,

Tom
01-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carmic Quote
Lexar Professional 8GB is my preference.

Your message is appreciated but knowing WHY you prefer that brand and that size would be even more help.
01-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Whatever you decide, do not buy from ebay. many of the cards offered there are knock-offs. Buy from a reputable dealer. BH Photo video has decent prices. Even Amazon is problematic if the item is not sold by them.
Thanks mdave. I had heard about some brands being knocked off and Sandisk seemed to be the one most often mentioned. However, I have also been told that some reputable dealers have been burned too, thanks to the knock-offs being near perfect.
01-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Sandisk Ultra or Extreme

Trust me...... the recommendations are most appreciated but knowing WHY you like them is better still. No one settles in on a brand or size without good reason. Experience is what gives them the reasoning for the discrimination. If some brands suck, then that's a piece of info worth knowing. If some sizes have drawbacks, then that too is helpful info. I'm just saying.........