Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Hand straps for K-5?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Can anyone suggest good hand straps. I found these so far...]

1. Pentax DSLR Leather Hand Strap
2. Professional Leather Hand Strap Grip for CANON NIKON SONY Pentax OM DSLRS
3. ProStrap by Camdapter
4. CowboyStudio, Matin Premium Leather Camera Hand Strap

Points to consider before buying a K-5 hand strap... comfort, material, durability, construction etc?

Thanks

Last edited by incidentflux; 01-14-2012 at 02:46 PM.
01-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Crumpler Noose
01-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a drawer full of hand straps the Pentax leather one is by far my favorite. Bought for the K20D, it does not fit the grip on a K-5 as the strap is shipped but by reversing the bottom plate and the strap point, it tightens down nice and snug and has now claimed the K-5 also. With no grip, it fits as shipped.
01-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The nikon one is supposed to be good, but expensive: Amazon.com: Nikon Hand Strap II w/ plate AH-4 Hand Grip: Electronics

I have two canon ones and love them (I hate neck straps) they are a whole lot cheaper, but you need a lug on the bottom where as the nikon has a plate for the tripod socket.

01-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I just looked at the pentax one and it looks a whole lot like the nikon and a lot cheaper.
01-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Pentax strap won't work if you ever add the battery grip.
01-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gordy's camera straps

01-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Do you know what the difference is between en wrist strap and a handstrap

Anyway i got a cheap Chinese imitation handstrap of the same model as the Nikon and Pentax one.
I wouldn't go for the ProStrap by Camdapter, with pentax you hold the grip not straight and the height of the grip is not that high so the strap need to be very loose in order to get a good hold of the grip so the strap is basicly useless.
01-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I got the Pentax one and really like it. It works a lot better with RRS L plate. Since it doesn't move around and doesn't obstruct the battery door. The downside is that it's a bit tighter to squeeze my hand in. But I can live with that.

http://jarek.smugmug.com
01-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the Nikon Hand Strap II that I bought from eBay: NEW Nikon Hand Strap grip II w/Plate AH4 AH-4 For DSLR | eBay I keep it quite loose (more so in winter because I am wearing a pair of thin leather gloves) but when the second strap is buckled in, you can let the camera dangle with no fear of the grip slipping off. When I am walking from one place to another, I maintain a loose grip just to make sure the lens doesn't bump against the backpack.
01-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
Forum Member

Here is the hand strap I made for my K-r. Its very sturdy and does not get in the way. I prefer not to have a should strap on it so made the hand strap. When I do use a shoulder stap its the Black Rapid RS-4 and I take the end of my hand strap and clip it to the clip on the black rapid and it then gives me a nice holder when I hang onto the camera (hope that makes sense). Its constructed out of 550 Paracord and uses the Cobra Stitch at the lug. I am going to do another one with the strap in black and the stitch in black and a shade of red that matches Pentax Red. Very easy, strong, customizable and cheap.

01-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Enjoying the thread as I had wanted a hand strap myself. Whatever you do don't get the Okteka one -
Opteka Pro Camera Grip Strap - OPT-GS reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews
01-14-2012, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've just ordered one of these for my K7, will see what its like when it arrives.

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r
01-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Here's my setup: linky.
01-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like my camdapter setup and it works for me perfectly.

The one I have has the Manfrotto RC2 quick release compatible adapter plate and a ProStrap hand strap.

I also have the Shouldersling strap as well. It clips onto the metal ring at the bottom of the camera and to the ring on the strap on the left hand side of the camera.

The shouldersling lets the camera hang down at my hip which I prefer.

I was lucky to be able to have both the strap and the shouldersling done in the same colour leather which doesn't seem to be available just now.

It's my one (or two) luxury bits of leather goods in my life. Everything else I own is imitation leather or plastic!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF