Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fader ND Adjustable Filter - Anyone Have Experience?

I was shopping around for a ND400 filter and came upon several "Fader ND Adjustable" filters at Amazon. Here's one example: "Zykkor 77mm Fader ND Adjustable from ND2 to ND400 Neutral Density Pro Optical Glass Filter." The price is amazingly low (about USD30), and there are other brands listed at prices which aren't much different. Now, since a true ND400 filter can run upwards of USD100 for the 77mm size I'm looking for, I was suspicious. But some Amazon reviews are positive for this type of filter (others weren't!), so maybe there's something to them.

Does anyone here have experience of the variable ND filters? Are they totally useless, or are they acceptable to a degree? I really can't justify buying a top brand ND filter at this stage but would like to experiment with the longer daytime exposures allowed by the 8- or 9-stop glass, and would rather not go the welding glass route, so thought this might be worth trying. Still, I'd rather see what more experienced folks had to say.

01-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Forum Member

> since a true ND400 filter can run upwards of USD100 for the 77mm size I'm looking for...

Truly naive...
Go to google and search Singh Ray Vari ND.

And compare last two pictures: Singh Ray ND Fader vs H&Y ND Fader vs Marumi ND 8 - Canon Digital Photography Forums
If you can live with so huge quality Fadering, then go for it. I have one fader, for me - no way.

And once more.
There is good Faders: H&Y, LCW markII (the most expencive ones), Nature. An other faders (full ebay).

Problem with theses (I have had LCW mark II and still have Nature) they are made from two polarisers. They are rather thick, and they rotate. So, If you want to use Polariser too, it also rotates = nightmare!

Imagine, yu most adjust polariser exactly as it is needed, and fader too.but fader 77mm threaded filers other side is 82mm filter yeas, tis bigger), it is pain to use it.

MY SUGGESTION.

Go to ebay, and lurk for B&W 110 or other option Hoya ND400 these are enough dark, like welding glases. And I got mine B&W for 60$ Shipped. Ok, I have all other too, including Singh Ray Gold `n Blue, etc. But especially B&W 110 77mm I got for 60$ shipped. Brand new.
01-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You might want to look through these threads if you haven't already:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-technique/133418-fader-nd-filter.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/146622-nd...o-you-use.html
01-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaards Quote
> since a true ND400 filter can run upwards of USD100 for the 77mm size I'm looking for...

Truly naive... ...

...Problem with theses (I have had LCW mark II and still have Nature) they are made from two polarisers. They are rather thick, and they rotate. So, If you want to use Polariser too, it also rotates = nightmare!...
MY SUGGESTION.

Go to ebay, and lurk for B&W 110 or other option Hoya ND400 these are enough dark, like welding glases. And I got mine B&W for 60$ Shipped. Ok, I have all other too, including Singh Ray Gold `n Blue, etc. But especially B&W 110 77mm I got for 60$ shipped. Brand new.
Thanks, Vilnis. You're right, I don't know a lot about ND filters. And thanks much for your reply and the links. You told me something I had wondered about, which is that the fader is two polarizers stacked. I didn't know that. I might well go with a used ND400 filter if I can find one.

Thanks very much Robert. I searched the forum and came up empty, but must have used the wrong search string. I appreciate the links.

01-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Vivitar do a reasonably priced variable ND too...

I'm currently waiting on an cheap 49mm ND32 from ebay... I have a Cokin ND8 But I find it's just not enough for what I want and the system is far too fiddly!