Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #1

Magnifying eyepiece that doesn't vignette like crazy?

Out of curiousity, I'm just throwing it out there..
Is there such a thing as a magnifying eyepiece that doesn't give you drastic vignetting?
Of course, drastic may sound harsh but I think it depends on how you work and the type of photographs you take. For example, proper composing is almost out of the question if I keep my OME53 on. Which is ok if I'm not looking to both compose and find precise focus at the same time, but some times I actually want both. The whole cake you know. Not just either or.

Now, I guess there must be something that is physically preventing a non-vignetting magnyfing eyepiece to be built. What is that? Because I can't seem to find any example of one that is claimed by anyone to be free of vignetting..

01-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no problems with my copy. I just have to move my eye to see all the information. But composing wise, I have no problems.
01-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's the first I've heard of O-ME53 vignetting, as afar as viewfinder magnifiers go, O-ME53 has the lowest magnification so vignetting shouldn't be a problem. I have been shooting with it for over 2 years and I don't notice any vignetting with it.
01-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I just purchaced one 2 months ago. Got a K200d, i wear glasses and i find that it works really well,i'am very pleased with the unit for myself, thats just my2c's

01-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Are there magnifying eyepieces that vignette?!?

I use the O-ME53, and that one surely doesn't.
01-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote

I use the O-ME53, and that one surely doesn't.
Same here. but I've only mounted it on my K-x. I don't know how it would work on a K-5 with a larger VF.
01-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use mine on a K-5 with no problem and it generally helps with composing since you have a bit extra that you can crop off. With 16MB I think a little crop is just fine. With mine the corners are clear.

01-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think the OP may have mis-phrased when using the term 'vignetting', but I know what he's getting at...

I use the O-ME53 with my K-x as I'm a glasses wearer and although it magnifies it does not actually show the whole of the viewfinder but just the majority of it from the centre outwards... The edges for the frame are missing...

It doesn't bother me too much as I'm aware of what's not there, and compensate for it within my composition... And without it I see even less due to the angle the K-x's original viewfinder is positioned (too flush against the camera's body for glasses wearers...)...
02-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I wanted a magnifying eyepiece to aid focusing, and saw on here that the O-ME53 may or may not cause vignetting and cropping of viewfinder which made me nervous. There seems to be two camps, those who it crops a lot for, and those whom it doesn't overly affect at all. I suspected the differentiating factor in user experience could either be the penta-prisim vs mirror, the eyeglasses vs no eyeglasses or both. On a K200D without eyeglasses, I see no signs of vignetting and can easily see the information along the bottom. The desired affect is achieved, the slight magnification allows me to work better without my eyeglasses. As I can better see the Katzeye screen to focus. With my eyeglasses on I do see vignetting and cropping of info, because I cannot press my eye to the cup fully. The caveat, I see this same affect without the O-ME53 and wearing my eyeglasses, so cannot blame the device for adding the effect. Fortunately with the O-ME53 I can better perform without the need of my eyeglasses and that is where this device shines for me, especially for less than $30. As for the potential penta-prisim vs mirror view finder effect on this subject I cannot debate it.
02-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Recently I bought the O-ME53 for my K-7 and I do noticed some mild vignetting, however I do what Macario does move my eyeball around to check focus. And until I read everything here I didn't realize it would fit my K-X. A bit of a pain getting the original eyepiece back on though. The one thing I do like about it is my face is away from the body. On the K-X my nose would occasionally turn on live view, on the K-7 I had a problem with AF button. I'm a left eye shooter and can't seem to break the habit. Well the O-me53 resolved this problem.