Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For long teles I think Gimbal is really the way to go (and match well with Gitzo series 3 tripods). It's not so much about the supported weight but how you can pan the lens in practice. I don't know how far Manfrotto ballheads have evolved but they used to be crap, and their grip heads were even worse. A good quality AS clamp costs quite a bit and you might be better off with AS style heads like Photoclam or Markins if you can live w/o Gimbal. Personally I favor Photoclam for their better pan lock. For DA*300/4, PC-40n should be big enough.

This is my brief review of the PC-36n against the AS B1. For camera or lens plate, just measure ahead and get the cheapest all metal generic fit anti-twist plates off eBay.
PhotoClam PC-36N ballhead review Photo Gallery by Alan Chan at pbase.com

01-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks Steve.

So, the Arca swiss type QR clamp/plate is that L-shaped thing? Or is this an added thing altogether?
Sorry, but I had a tough time following your video ... the operator's hand were in the way much of the time!

Cheers.

JP
Not my video but one i found when looking to see if an Arca Swiss arrangment could be fitted to a Manfrotto ball head.

The part he unscrewed was the standard Manfrotto quick release clamp
He then screwed on the Arca Swiss (style) Clamp. The one he fitted has a screw clamp so it is very secure but a bit slower to change.

Nomally you would then just slide on a linear "plate" which is already screwed to the camera or maybe onto the lens mount for longer lenses.

(This wasn't the point of my post) but In this guy's case he was using a L-bracket, which is kind of like 2 "plates" one for landscape and one for portrait. The L-braket is a bit clunky but the idea is that it can be changed from Landscape to Portrait maintaining the point at the centre of the frame. (if you loosen a ball head and lean it over 90deg then you have to re-align and the balance point is off too.)
Many longer lenses eg DA300 have a ring on the mounting which can rotate with stops at 0,90,180 while keeping the same subject framed.

I kind of like the design of the Acratech ball heads but probably couldnt justify the spend.
Manfrotto is the dominant player down here so that if you want an Arca Swiss clamp with it you have to do a retrofit of the clamp like this guy did.
01-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

This is what I found for the Jobo Jr: Black Widow Jr.3 Gimbal Kit ... is this the one you are talking about?

JP
That is probably what he was talking about...I just got one of these myself, and was going to recommend a gimbal as well. If you're looking for something specifically for these 3 lenses, all of which have a lens tripod mount, a gimbal makes the most sense. A good ballhead will provide support, but won't provide the ease of movement that a gimbal provides. If you're thinking of shooting moving subjects the gimbal definitely makes the most sense.
01-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yes, you can switch the plates. I don't, it was just easier to buy plates for the things I use the most. The camera plate is specific to the camera but the k-x and k-5 both use the same one. I assume the k-r as well but I don't have a k-r. I also bought plates of various sizes to fit the longer lenses I use.

Plates come in an enormous variety. Both straight plates and L-plates are available. The L-plate has two sections that can be clamped, one for landscape and one for portrait. So with this plate on the camera you just un-clamp and shift orientation and clamp back on. I don't have an L=plate I use the Acratech head to drop into portrait when I need it.

Do a search on ebay for Arca-Swiss to get an idea of what is available.
OK, I'll do that.
Seems like there is so much available out there that one can easily get confused (as I am presently) and buy something which just doesn't do what you wanted in the first place.

JP

01-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
That is probably what he was talking about...I just got one of these myself, and was going to recommend a gimbal as well. If you're looking for something specifically for these 3 lenses, all of which have a lens tripod mount, a gimbal makes the most sense. A good ballhead will provide support, but won't provide the ease of movement that a gimbal provides. If you're thinking of shooting moving subjects the gimbal definitely makes the most sense.
Well ... it does indeed make more sense to have one of these Gimball heads. Looks like much easier to handle, in spite of the encumbrance (i.e.: size of the gear itself).
This one will support up to 10 lbs. (camera-lens combined) ... so if I extrapolate and would use a Sigma 500/4.5 at 7 lbs plus the K5, I would be just at the recommended limit, but it should do, shouldn't it?

Now the problem is that if I want to switch this to a monopod ... !!!

JP
01-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I recently went down this path myself. I bought a good ball head (36mm) with pan base, plus picked up a cheaper version of a Gimbal and its working great, all are arca plates, and I just bought a arca clamp that attached to my monpod so I can just pop the lens onto it.

This is the Desmond Gimbal I'm using.

Last edited by cmohr; 01-24-2012 at 02:53 PM.
01-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I recently went down this path myself. I bought a good ball head (36mm) with pan base, plus picked up a cheaper version of a Gimbal and its working great, all are arca plates, and I just bought a arca clamp that attached to my monpod so I can just pop the lens onto it.
Noted, and thanks for the reply.

Cheers.

JP

P.S.: What's that huge lens on your camera??

Last edited by jpzk; 01-24-2012 at 04:27 PM.
01-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used the Jobu jr. and Jobu BWG. gimbals, they are nice. I remember reading about someone having a problem with the Manfrotto ball-head in the cold , where it had burst when subjected to below -10F temperatures.
01-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Well ... it does indeed make more sense to have one of these Gimball heads. Looks like much easier to handle, in spite of the encumbrance (i.e.: size of the gear itself).
This one will support up to 10 lbs. (camera-lens combined) ... so if I extrapolate and would use a Sigma 500/4.5 at 7 lbs plus the K5, I would be just at the recommended limit, but it should do, shouldn't it?

Now the problem is that if I want to switch this to a monopod ... !!!

JP
If the Jobu seems pricey, another member just bought one from ebay that is a Chinese knock-off (I was considering the cheaper one as well until I manage to scrounge up some money for the jobu), you can find them for about $100...then you could also pick up a reasonably priced photoclam ballhead for smaller lenses as well...here is the thread about the knockoff:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/171277-gi...foto-ebay.html

And I also recently discussed using a gimbal on a monopod as well with another forum member, the consensus was that it could work as long as you lock the panning base...discussed here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/172412-jobu-jr-3-a.html

The jobu is very nice, well built and easily handles my tamron 300mm f2.8 (about 5 pounds) plus k-5, specs from bhphoto say designed for 10lbs and occasional use upto 15lbs so your combo shouldn't be a problem for it.
01-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Not my video but one i found when looking to see if an Arca Swiss arrangment could be fitted to a Manfrotto ball head.

The part he unscrewed was the standard Manfrotto quick release clamp
He then screwed on the Arca Swiss (style) Clamp. The one he fitted has a screw clamp so it is very secure but a bit slower to change.

Nomally you would then just slide on a linear "plate" which is already screwed to the camera or maybe onto the lens mount for longer lenses.

(This wasn't the point of my post) but In this guy's case he was using a L-bracket, which is kind of like 2 "plates" one for landscape and one for portrait. The L-braket is a bit clunky but the idea is that it can be changed from Landscape to Portrait maintaining the point at the centre of the frame. (if you loosen a ball head and lean it over 90deg then you have to re-align and the balance point is off too.)
Many longer lenses eg DA300 have a ring on the mounting which can rotate with stops at 0,90,180 while keeping the same subject framed.

I kind of like the design of the Acratech ball heads but probably couldnt justify the spend.
Manfrotto is the dominant player down here so that if you want an Arca Swiss clamp with it you have to do a retrofit of the clamp like this guy did.
Got it ! and Thanks!

JP
01-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I have used the Jobu jr. and Jobu BWG. gimbals, they are nice. I remember reading about someone having a problem with the Manfrotto ball-head in the cold , where it had burst when subjected to below -10F temperatures.
Temperatures get well below that around here ... like minus 20-24C !
It wouldn't make it here!

JP
01-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
If the Jobu seems pricey, another member just bought one from ebay that is a Chinese knock-off (I was considering the cheaper one as well until I manage to scrounge up some money for the jobu), you can find them for about $100...then you could also pick up a reasonably priced photoclam ballhead for smaller lenses as well...here is the thread about the knockoff:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/171277-gi...foto-ebay.html

And I also recently discussed using a gimbal on a monopod as well with another forum member, the consensus was that it could work as long as you lock the panning base...discussed here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/172412-jobu-jr-3-a.html

The jobu is very nice, well built and easily handles my tamron 300mm f2.8 (about 5 pounds) plus k-5, specs from bhphoto say designed for 10lbs and occasional use upto 15lbs so your combo shouldn't be a problem for it.
Thanks for the tips ... !

I've just sent for info to Jobu ... I have asked the same questions as in here, and requested some advice.

Cheers.

JP
01-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
This is a bit off the direct topic, but worth sharing in my opinion...
I am an avid monopod user - especially when I travel. I keep a quick release mount on the 1/4-20 screw ... it has been accepted at several museums that otherwise won't allow stability devices, because I come in using it in its other purpose - a walking assistance device - and where the staff might object if they saw a tripod screw, don't give a second glance with the quick release. (however, I abide by rules - if it sadly says 'no photography', I don't).

At any rate, this setup is great for landscape mode shots but not portait mode. So this thread made me think that adding a ballhead wouldn't be a bad idea. Then (Click!) I remembered an old (1970's) ballhead plus grip with hidden tripod feet. I dug into my dust bin and sure enough - it also has a tripod screw socket at the bottom of the grip.

So, I ordered another matching quick release. I stuck the plate at the bottom of the grip, (it is small enough the tripod legs could still be deployed) and the release on the ballhead screw. I can attach the camera to the monopod's quick release, or with little additional work attach the ballhead-grip to the monopod via quick release and attach the camera to the ball head's quick release. This gizmo actually stores better in my field bag in the portrait position. Oh and my new quick release was less expensive than a ballhead. So, long story ... thanks for getting me thinking.

Thanks for getting me thinking...

Last edited by JimJohnson; 01-25-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: missing text
01-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #29
Pentaxian

P.S.: What's that huge lens on your camera??
G'day Matey, Its the Sigma APO 300/2.8. I went down that path because I wanted a 300, its a good focal length, the I add a 1.4 or a 2x tele, that basically gives me three lenses, 300/2.8, 420/4 and 600/5.6, all excellent. Plus the 300 and the two TC's was far less than the 500/4.5.

I'm currently doing a few pics of both my tripod heads and mounts to do a quick post on options for lens mounts and a modular type system that handles macro thru to extreme telephoto.
01-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
G'day Matey, Its the Sigma APO 300/2.8. I went down that path because I wanted a 300, its a good focal length, the I add a 1.4 or a 2x tele, that basically gives me three lenses, 300/2.8, 420/4 and 600/5.6, all excellent. Plus the 300 and the two TC's was far less than the 500/4.5.

I'm currently doing a few pics of both my tripod heads and mounts to do a quick post on options for lens mounts and a modular type system that handles macro thru to extreme telephoto.
Looking forward to see the set up(s)!

You are right about the 500/4.5 ... it is very pricey!
I am wondering if you see much loss of IQ when using a 1.4X or 2X TC on this lens of yours. (The 300/2.8)
I for one find that my present setup with a DA*300/4 with a TC (1.4X or 1.7X) shows obvious image IQ loss. Not a lot, but I do notice it readily.
Using the prime w-out a TC does a wonderful job, so I am always leary to use TC's.

By the way, I have the battery grip on the K5 as a permanent fixture ... would that cause any problem?
I see you have the grip on your cam as well ... so probably a useless question ...

JP