Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
As I have been following along here, your list posted would be the ultimate setup for me also.

But.......

Just checking the prices, I am now considering an alternative.

Acratech GP head - $400.00
K-5 camera plate - $40.00
5" lens plate - $47.00
Winberly Sidekick - $250.00

Total - $737.00

I'm sorry, but that is just too much for me to spend. I know from past experience that you should buy it right the first time so you don't keep buying to upgrade, but for myself I just can't justify that much money.

I am going to research snostorm's suggestion of the Manfrotto 468 hydraulic head some more. I am also looking at just the Acratech head alone since you can sort of "gimbal" with that. I'm also going to look at the Photoclam heads again.

I am also hopefully planning on the new DA 560 lens if it isn't too outrageous in cost - if I don't get that, I know I will probably end up with another 300mm 2.8 lens of some flavor. I need to be sure that what ever I do end up buying will support a 5-8 lbs lens.

All the input in this thread has been very helpful - if only money wasn't an issue here!
Hi stormtech.

I agree that this is (will be) an expensive setup but I am not going to risk having something which will "let go" while in usage.
I had an incident with my cheaper ballhead (although I had spent what I think was a pretty high price = $200.00 just for the ball head) : it suddenly started to flip forward (on the tripod) with my K5 + battery grip + DA*300/4 + A-FA 1.7X TC ... I almost lost the gear on solid rock but was able to hold it just in time.

What cmohr is showing also makes sense, don't get me wrong. It seems that his setup would be just what you'd want.
As a matter of fact, even if I get the Acratech ballhead, I can always adapt a few of his recommendations with that particular ballhead.

For the time being, I will order:

Acratech GP head - $400.00
K-5 camera plate - $40.00
5" lens plate - $47.00

without the Sidekick.

The Acratech is rated to be able to handle 25 lbs ... that should be sufficient for now.
If I need a Gimball, I will certainly look into cmohr's setup and find something suitable, or alike.

So, for $500.00 ... I know! ... it is still a lot of money, but since I am considering a heavier/longer tele lens, I sure don't want to loose the gear of some rocks.

Anyway, it has been a great series of posts to follow and I hope that this will have helped some people ... it has helped me a lot.

Cheers for now.

JP

02-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
My Gimbal head came complete for $143.00, it was delivered with an arca compatable 50mm lens/camera plate, but I used a 120mm lens plate ($41.00) for my lens. I might update my Tripod head Solution thread with the actual brands and prices of the products I used.
Thanks again for the replies, cmohr.

I am looking forward to see more of your setup(s), and prices, so I can make an informed decision as to whether I will or not get a Sidekick.
If your Gimball cost only $143.00 , maybe that still is a serious consideration for me.

For now, it looks like I will setup for what's presented in my previous post.

Cheers !

JP
02-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Just thought I would share what I have decided on with this.

While I believe the Acratech head is "top of the line", I've decided to go with the Manfrotto Hydrostatic head plus the Arca/Swiss clamp as snostorm suggested.

My main reason is I have Rheumatoid Arthritis which seems to affect my hands/fingers more than anything. From what I've read about this head, it is very easy to turn the knob to clamp it down because of the Hydrostatic action.

468MG Manfrotto head - $205
Arca/Swiss clamp - $78
Mestos plate for D-BG4 grip - $49

Total - $332

I still need to asses weather I want the plate for the grip, or a plate for the bottom of the camera without the grip - I am leaning toward the grip plate.

Since I don't own any long lenses right now with a tripod mount, I will wait on ordering a lens plate once I find that 300 2.8 lens I want.

This has been a great thread with lots of information and opinions that has certainly helped me with my decision - thanks to all who have participated!
03-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, I have made a final decision, and acted upon it: bought a (near-new) used Acratech ballhead and ordered the matching camera and lens plates.

Can't wait to test it out!

JP

04-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update: all the tripod/ballhead issue now settled ... thanks to all who responded to my request(s).

Now, I am looking for a small/tough/dependable ballhead for the monopod - which has to be arca-swiss compatible too.

I saw cmhor's gear on this thread and his own: very impressive and I wonder what that small ballhead mounted on his monopod is ...

@cmohr: I've sent a PM to you !

Cheers to all.

JP
04-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Thanks for getting back on the thread with your final outcome - wish more people would do that.

While I went a bit of a different route than you did, I am very happy with what I bought also.

Thanks also from me to all those who contributed!
04-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks for getting back on the thread with your final outcome - wish more people would do that.

While I went a bit of a different route than you did, I am very happy with what I bought also.

Thanks also from me to all those who contributed!
I think this thread should be a permanent fixture here as I am sure more people will ask the very same questions as we did .
I am glad you've got your gear organized now !

Cheers.

JP

P.S.: watch for a new thread from me: my monopod top (male) screw is now in very bad shape (unuseable) because I tried to get the 3/8" adapter out of the 1/4" and I got it stripped .... won't come out!