Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ball head +K5 and a few long lenses -- which one?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The title is awkward, should be: Looking for a good quality ball head / QR plate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been again searching for a Arca swiss compatible ball head which will support the following lenses:

Tamron 70-200/2.8 @2.9 lbs.
Pentax Da*300/4 @2.8 lbs.
Sigma 500/4.5 @6.8 lbs. ( a "wanted" lens) or something similar in weight and focal length.

I have found this: Acratech Inc. GV2 Ball Head Tripod Heads 1150 - Vistek Canada Product Detail
and it should probably work fine since it mentions being Arca swiss compatibe, has a 1/4-3/8 in. fit, and will support up to 25 lbs.
I am not sure if it even comes with a Q.R. plate from what I can see from the description.

The reason for the QR plate is that I want to be able to switch the ball head (quickly) from the tripod to the monopod and vice versa.

However, it is quite expensive and there are probably some alternative, as solid as this one seems to be, which will also have the same specs..

I am presently using a Velbon Sherpa Pro Cf 537 (carbon fiber) tripod which is quite sturdy and I am guessing that such ball head/QR plate would fit on it.
The info can be found here: Velbon - Sherpa+ 530 not exactly the same model but the same, being a bit older. I also have the QHD 61 Q ball and socket QR. This is where the problem is: too small ... the lens/camera will often tilt on its own!
The monopod is a Manfrotto, model 679. Manfrotto 679B Three Section Monopod (Black)

Anyone interested to give some suggestion(s) regarding the ball head/QR plate which would do the trick for now and years to come?

Cheers!

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 01-23-2012 at 05:01 PM.
01-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Look at the Manfrotto offerings. Several options significantly cheaper. Their QR system can be used on ball heads, pan-and-tilt heads and swivel heads for monopods.
01-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll give you a vote for the Acratech. It is what I have and is an awesome piece of engineering. Very light for what it does if you have to pack it around. Yes, very expensive, but you will never have to buy another.

I do not remember if it comes with a plate. I think maybe not because Arca-Swiss plates are often custom to the camera so they do not swivel or move. Mine on the k-5 has a little lip that catches the base of the camera so that all of the torque is not on the screw. I have regular straight plates on my larger lens, those are not too expensive but the camera plates are not cheap.

The nice thing about the Arca-Swiss system is that it is nearly a universal quick release and many manufacturers support it so if you change cameras or tripods or heads your plates still work. I have three tripods, and a monopod with A-S clamps and plates for the k-5 and 3 long lenses.

If you go this route let me know and I can get you the plate number that fits the k-5
01-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wimberley is where it's at.

01-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Well, yes that is true. But some of us own lenses less than 24" long
01-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Well, yes that is true. But some of us own lenses less than 24" long
Ah I missed the ballhead thing. I saw Sigma 500/4.5 and apparently skipped the details.

I have one of the Manfrotto RC joystick type heads that I mounted an Arca Swiss style flat head onto the Manfrotto mounting plate. It seems to work ok when I need something for *smaller* lenses.
01-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a Jobo jr. Gimbal head. Works gat with my Tamron 200-500/5.6 that weighs 2.75kilos (6.1 pounds for the metric impared). Plan to use it with my sigma 70-200/2.8 plus 2x and my K300/4 plus 1.7x AF concerted as well

01-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
Look at the Manfrotto offerings. Several options significantly cheaper. Their QR system can be used on ball heads, pan-and-tilt heads and swivel heads for monopods.
I've taken a look at this: Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Magnesium Hydrostatic Ballhead - 468MGRC2 B&H
and it is similar to the Acratech for weight loads and is also very simple in operation.

Thanks for the info ... noted.

JP
01-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jatrax.
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'll give you a vote for the Acratech. It is what I have and is an awesome piece of engineering. Very light for what it does if you have to pack it around. Yes, very expensive, but you will never have to buy another.
I figured this would be a durable piece of equipment and possibly would last a good number of years.
I do not remember if it comes with a plate. I think maybe not because Arca-Swiss plates are often custom to the camera so they do not swivel or move. Mine on the k-5 has a little lip that catches the base of the camera (I do have that on my Velbon QR plate and it is really a great feature) so that all of the torque is not on the screw. I have regular straight plates on my larger lens, those are not too expensive but the camera plates are not cheap.
The best thing to do would be for me to ask directly at B&H and find out what would be needed to fit the K5 and the tripod/monopod with this ball head. Is it what I need to do?
The nice thing about the Arca-Swiss system is that it is nearly a universal quick release and many manufacturers support it so if you change cameras or tripods or heads your plates still work. I have three tripods, and a monopod with A-S clamps and plates for the k-5 and 3 long lenses.

If you go this route let me know and I can get you the plate number that fits the k-5
I am seriously thinking about the Acratech but I want to make sure that I can switch the QR plate(s) from one camera to the other, and from the tripod to the monopod. Maybe I will need two QR plates then?

Thanks!

JP
01-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Clinton.

Yes the Winberley "system" is great but is it absolutely necessary to have it when a ball head (Acratech described above) supporting 22 lbs. could do the trick?
Of course, the Sigma is one heck of a lot heavier than either my Tammy and the DA300/4, but it is still "only" 6.8 lbs.

Cheers.

JP
01-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I use a Jobo jr. Gimbal head. Works gat with my Tamron 200-500/5.6 that weighs 2.75kilos (6.1 pounds for the metric impared). Plan to use it with my sigma 70-200/2.8 plus 2x and my K300/4 plus 1.7x AF concerted as well

This is what I found for the Jobo Jr: Black Widow Jr.3 Gimbal Kit ... is this the one you are talking about?

JP
01-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah I missed the ballhead thing. I saw Sigma 500/4.5 and apparently skipped the details.

I have one of the Manfrotto RC joystick type heads that I mounted an Arca Swiss style flat head onto the Manfrotto mounting plate. It seems to work ok when I need something for *smaller* lenses.
Hi Clinton ... see my Post no. 8 ... this is what I have found for Manfrotto.

and this: Manfrotto Light Duty Grip Ball Head: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

JP
01-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Like this? Arca swiss (style) clamp on a Manfrotto RC ball head.

I've heard that some people dislike the standard QR clamp/plate on this type of Manfrotto ball head.
01-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Like this? Arca swiss (style) clamp on a Manfrotto RC ball head.
Converting a Manfrotto 488rc4 ballhead clamp to Arca swiss Mount - YouTube

I've heard that some people dislike the standard QR clamp/plate on this type of Manfrotto ball head.
Thanks Steve.

So, the Arca swiss type QR clamp/plate is that L-shaped thing? Or is this an added thing altogether?
Sorry, but I had a tough time following your video ... the operator's hand were in the way much of the time!

Cheers.

JP
01-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
QR plate(s) from one camera to the other, and from the tripod to the monopod. Maybe I will need two QR plates then?
Yes, you can switch the plates. I don't, it was just easier to buy plates for the things I use the most. The camera plate is specific to the camera but the k-x and k-5 both use the same one. I assume the k-r as well but I don't have a k-r. I also bought plates of various sizes to fit the longer lenses I use.

Plates come in an enormous variety. Both straight plates and L-plates are available. The L-plate has two sections that can be clamped, one for landscape and one for portrait. So with this plate on the camera you just un-clamp and shift orientation and clamp back on. I don't have an L=plate I use the Acratech head to drop into portrait when I need it.

Do a search on ebay for Arca-Swiss to get an idea of what is available.