Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D-BG4 saves the day.....

One of those days with everything rushed and nothing going right. Grabbed the K-5 at the last minute and threw it into the small bag - just the camera with its 18-135. Got where we were going, turned on the K-5, took a picture and got the dreaded "No Memory Card" popup sign. But! I had the D-BG4 attached and recalled that I had put an extra 8gb SanDisk card in the handy SD card slot! Problem solved, pictures captured, happy ending!

02-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Glad you used the slot for a backup!

I see that "no card" warning all the time now that my new iMac has an SD slot in the side, just out of my line of sight. Bad thing is that I don't have a grip for the K-5., but good thing is that I habitually check my battery level before heading out, and the card warning is pretty obvious!
02-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
One of those days with everything rushed and nothing going right. Grabbed the K-5 at the last minute and threw it into the small bag - just the camera with its 18-135. Got where we were going, turned on the K-5, took a picture and got the dreaded "No Memory Card" popup sign. But! I had the D-BG4 attached and recalled that I had put an extra 8gb SanDisk card in the handy SD card slot! Problem solved, pictures captured, happy ending!
Glad I read that post ... just realized I had NEVER put an extra SD card in that grip!!

I just did two minutes ago !

Thanks.

JP
02-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a spare card in my inside jacket pocket. And another in each bag I use a camera with. This is a good use for those cards you now think are too small to regularly bother with.

But, y'know, I have also never failed to have one in the camera. But it pays to be cautious. Good tip.

02-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's the old ace in the grip trick!
02-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Glad I read that post ... just realized I had NEVER put an extra SD card in that grip!!

I just did two minutes ago !

Thanks.

JP
Glad it was of help. It's a terrific feature. I, too, have an SD card slot that is all but invisible on my computer. I have extra SD cards in my bigger bags because they have dedicated places, but I'm trying not to take everything (including the kitchen sink) with me every time we go anywhere and hence the small bag that only holds the camera.

Another note, I'm a HUGE advocate of AA batteries for a lot of reasons. This event drove home the advantage of a dedicated battery being smaller - thereby allowing room on the tray for the SD holder (which is not possible on the 6xAA tray due to space issues).
02-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Glad it was of help. It's a terrific feature. I, too, have an SD card slot that is all but invisible on my computer. I have extra SD cards in my bigger bags because they have dedicated places, but I'm trying not to take everything (including the kitchen sink) with me every time we go anywhere and hence the small bag that only holds the camera.

Another note, I'm a HUGE advocate of AA batteries for a lot of reasons. This event drove home the advantage of a dedicated battery being smaller - thereby allowing room on the tray for the SD holder (which is not possible on the 6xAA tray due to space issues).
I am guessing: the AA battery holder supplied with the grip must just weigh a load when all batteries are in there? And the Eneloop's, which I also use for other things, are heavy to start with.

Did you try the AA's in the grip? Just curious. I never tried it myself.

JP

02-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I keep 4 SD cards in the grip. Yes, you read right four, I have a small elastic band around the original card holder, so 1 in the holder, and 3 held above it.
02-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I keep 4 SD cards in the grip. Yes, you read right four, I have a small elastic band around the original card holder, so 1 in the holder, and 3 held above it.
Smart idea!

Of course, that would fit right snug in there.

Thanks for the tip.

JP
02-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Smart idea!

Of course, that would fit right snug in there.

Thanks for the tip.

JP
Ah Yes, It is toight...... Toight, like a toiger.
02-04-2012, 04:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I never forget my card Simply because I don't remove it from the camera to upload photos But glad to hear that you remembered that you had a backup plan in place.
02-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am guessing: the AA battery holder supplied with the grip must just weigh a load when all batteries are in there? And the Eneloop's, which I also use for other things, are heavy to start with.

Did you try the AA's in the grip? Just curious. I never tried it myself.

JP

Yes, I tried them and you're right - they do add significantly more weight than a second K-5 dedicated battery. I use Eneloops in the K-x and have a bunch so they're very convenient for me. I bit the bullet and bought 2 extra K-5 batteries instead. I hate having so many chargers and one use batteries around but in this instance the weight savings coupled with the space for the SD card makes it pretty hard not to use. I got a hard case to put the AA drawer in for taking along when I take all the equipment because AAs are so ubiquitous and I like the security of knowing I can use the camera come what may.