Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #1

Lens and CPL

Hello,

I just got the K5 with the 18-55 kit lens, I was thinking of getting a CPL for it, but I'm not sure if it is worth it as I'm planning to get a wide angle sooner or later, most are 77mm, like the Sigma 10-20 or Pentax' 12-24; another option would be the 15mm limited but that is a 49mm.

What do you suggest, get a 77mm and a step up ring or just a 52mm? what about the lens hood?

Thanks

02-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I've done what you're looking at - 77mm CPL + a varierty of step up rings - but be aware that with a UWA lens you'll get some strange results as the polarisation effect varies across the FOV. Just be prepared for skies that transition from dark to light to dark across the frame.

As to lens hoods, you might have to resort to shielding the lens by hand rather than with a hood.
02-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a 77 cpl that I got partly because I thought I'd use it for the 12-24 lens. Then I discovered what John pointed out, using a cpl on an ultra wide-angle does give you some weird results at times. I don't regret getting it that big, though, because I do use it occasionally on the DA*300, a lens I purchased long after the cpl. It really isn't that big of a deal to use step-up rings. And I'm more likely to use a hand or hat for shielding a lens anyway, so don't mind skipping the lens hood.

If money is a big issue though, get the smaller sized polarizer since 77mm filters are quite expensive and have less use on an ultrawide lens.
02-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a CPL's in 49mm (FA50&FA28), 67mm (Tamron17-50) and 52mm(kit lens)... I reckon it's worth having a cpl for any lens you're likely to want to use it on and I simply can't be arsed faffing about with step-up rings...

I'm in the process of getting various ND's in 49mm & 67mm so I can be rid of the horrible cokin system as well...

02-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I have a CPL's in 49mm (FA50&FA28), 67mm (Tamron17-50) and 52mm(kit lens)... I reckon it's worth having a cpl for any lens you're likely to want to use it on and I simply can't be arsed faffing about with step-up rings...

I'm in the process of getting various ND's in 49mm & 67mm so I can be rid of the horrible cokin system as well...
I was thinking of getting this one for the kit lens: Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarizer CPL PL.D 52 52mm

Do you have experience with the Hoya one that is UV + CPL?

For ND's I was thinking of Lee Filters which are like the Cokin, what is your impression of it... what is it that it makes so horrible...?
02-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Depending on the thickness of the filter, some wide angle lenses may produce vignetting. Getting a wider filter and step down rings will help a bit.

Regarding hoods, I have CPLs with female threads in front so I can attach a screw-in hood. That way it is a lot easier to rotate the filter, just grab the hood and rotate clockwise as you see it from the front so you do not unscrew it. Works very well with stiff plastic or metal hoods.
02-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CPL or Not?

Hello Fmerges,
The CPL is the one, absolutely necessary filter for photography.
Now, I'm disregarding my usual "Get a UV/Skylight filter for each lens" lecture because the skylight is mostly used to protect the front element from damage or dirt.
The CPL actually improves the quality of the photograph!
It does this in so many ways it would be easier to suggest you take two photos, one without the CPL and one with it, than to try to list the improvements. As a handy plus, you can also use your CPL as a 1-1/2 stop ND filter.
With the CPL;
Highlights off reflective surfaces look natural.
Sun glare/flare is reduced or eliminated.
You can see THROUGH glass that has sunlight on it.
Water is rendered much more naturally.
Clouds are whiter, sky is deeper blue.
Colors are richer and the color rendition is more accurate.
A CPL is like sunglasses for your camera, only better. Much better.
I'm a fan of the Marumi filters, particularly their CPL. Yes, they're expensive, but each size is a one-time purchase. They're threaded on both sides (most good CPLs are) so you can attach a threaded hood normally.
I have a small filter pouch, with 4 CPL's, in 49mm, 52mm, 62mm and 67mm. It goes wherever my camera goes. No step-up or step-down rings, no hassle. Just another permanent part of my kit, like a spare battery or a lens-cleaning brush.
JMO,
Ron

02-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fmerges Quote
what is it that it makes so horrible...?
Generally... I just find the whole system a bit of a faff.... But my real issue is the plastic of the filters themselves... For grad-ND work thought there don't seem to be many other options... Ireally want to avoid stacking within the system though...
02-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've gotten some bad advice about hoods - GET ONE, there is nothing you can do that is that cheap that will improve your lenses performance more, except take off the lens cap.
02-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You've gotten some bad advice about hoods - GET ONE, there is nothing you can do that is that cheap that will improve your lenses performance more, except take off the lens cap.
Yeah, if I have a hood I use it, it's just that I read that when you use a filter that is bigger than you lens and use a step up ring you may not be able to use the lens hood that came with the lens.

Removing the lens cap will certainly help when you're not a dark fan. :-)
02-10-2012, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fmerges Quote
Yeah, if I have a hood I use it, it's just that I read that when you use a filter that is bigger than you lens and use a step up ring you may not be able to use the lens hood that came with the lens.
That's when you buy a nice metal hood to screw on the filter and have a way to rotate it easily. Using the original lens hood with a filter window to rotate a polarizer is a pain most of the times.