Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Lang Quote
buy more memory, get a bazillion 8 gigs on the cheap (usually smaller memory is cheaper than bigger cards, and if you loose one you loose less data) shoot raw, you will never say... gee i wish i had not spend an extra 100 on memory because i could have taken fewer photos. also get little dot stickers and number your cards, then fill them up in numerical order, that way you never overwrite a card or forget which ones you have photos on.
!
On 2 camping trips in remote parts of Western Australia for a total of 24 days, I took 12 8gig cards, shot an average 200 per day, RAW. I tested out PEF and DNG sizes before I left and found that PEF are smaller, so used that format. B&H PhotoVideo charged less per card when bought in "bulk", so not quite so expensive - less than the cost of developing and printing a roll of 36 film! Also initialised all the cards before leaving. When a card filled up, it got moved from one container to another, with a removable sticky label and I set the little switch to lock it (I'm quite accident prone, hence the paranoia ). Oh, and I copied each day's pics onto a netbook and portable hard drive each night.
For once-in-a-lifetime trips, a little more spending won't be noticed after you come back with your recorded memories.

03-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Original poster here -- just back from the safari so thought I'd share a few things... (no pics yet - will take awhile to get through them all).

I was on safari for 10 nights and had a few days before and after. Took 3, 16GB cards and I think 4, 8GB. Used up the 16GB shooting raw on the actual safari - deleting as I went. Finished another 8GB or so with my other cameras, not shooting raw.

Now, I realize why it's important to shoot raw and I'm glad I did for the bulk of the photos.

My 55-300mm was great - BUT - I really wish I'd had at least a 400mm - maybe one camera body for each lens (took my K-5 and K-2000). There were definitely shots that I totally could not get, and could have with a 400mm - rhino and cheetah were both just too far away to get decent shots - the photos are very pixilated. A bit frustrating, because the cheetah shots especially could have been very nice otherwise. I might try Alien Skin Blow Up as suggested. Does anyone have it and want to play with one of my photos? :-)

Anyway, what a GREAT trip it was! Highly recommend Tanzania for great photo ops. I didn't get a truly "National Geographic" image -- you really need to be lucky to find an animal doing something unusual to get truly unique shots, but I'll be happy with my photos as a memory tool when I'm 85 looking back. And yes, taking a new camera on such an important trip is a bit crazy but that's what I did - a bit of learning under fire!
03-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lots of good advice here, mine for what it's worth.

As you say now, always shoot raw, buy loads of good quality 8GB cards, for all the good and sensible reasons given throughout this thread.

Glad you had a great time and look forward to seeing some images on the forum later.
03-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Me (OP) again... sharing one photo (also posted on "Share your photos!") from the trip. This cheetah was way, way, way far away. And my zoom was 300mm. It's pixelated but better than nothing. I'm glad I shot RAW because I don't know if I would have managed even this if I hadn't.

[IMG]
[/IMG]

03-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's still impressive for a photo that far away and for sure nice enough to seal a memory. Great job and nice timing!
03-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the update...we are going to africa next summer and have been wondering about how much memory to have with me. I have been pretty excited about our trip but this just increases my excitement!
03-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fewing1 Quote
Thanks for the update...we are going to africa next summer and have been wondering about how much memory to have with me. I have been pretty excited about our trip but this just increases my excitement!
You're going to have an absolute blast. I can guarantee it. If you'd like to see more photos, go to:

Pictures by sea-lon-sf - Photobucket

03-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I clean up my stuff on the road. Trash the crap. I also back up on a netbook that I travel with.
03-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing more pictures..you have have many amazing pictures..but I soo cant wait to go...I think this may be the longest year on record for me!!!
03-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

from my view, as a jpeg shooter, if you are concerned about memory get a big stack of 8 GB cards, the cheaper the better. You probably wont be shooting at maximum frame rates to require uber expensive cards, so go for total memory storage not speed. Also limiting to 8GB still gives you a ton of shots per card, but limits to some extent the losses if you drop one by accident. Shoot full resolution jpeg, maximum quality and watch your settings to keep the exposure where you want it. This essentually gives all the quality you need and only the conversion from 12 bit to 8 bit color.

leave the WB on daylight unless it gets cloudy or you are shooting under shade, then change it, but always check your shots to make sure you did not forget.

You will get the shots you need, without all the PP time to tinker with allt he settings. If there is a really good opportunity, push the RAW button for additional insurance but from my experience unless you really screw up, in which case the shot is 'salvageable' but not anything else, shooting RAW does not offer a lot on every shot. Save it for the really special shots, and you will know which those are.