Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2006, 03:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

TIFFEN 52mm Circular Polarizer

Hey guys,

Merry Christmas to all...

i got some great stufff for my camera this christmas.... one of which was the tiffen 52mm circular polarizer...

i was wondering if you guys had any feed back on this filter. I got it for xmas and i was told if i didn't want it i could exchange it for another. But from what i've read its useful to have a circular polarizer because it helps in certain situations with reflections, sky tones, and color saturations....but does anyone have any info on this filter?? let me know what you think... thanx

12-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Circular polarizer is your best bet for digital cameras.

If you shoot water, glass or other reflective surfaces it will allow you to view into them and you can adjust the amount with a turn of the outside filter element. At ~90 degrees to the suns rays it works best when shooting landscape as it can cut through the haze and scattered light, richening the colors. Haven't used it on people so don't know there. Will change your metering f stop so if you are marginal on the autofocus due to low lighting then you would want to take it off the lense.

Overall that is one of the prime filters I would have in my collection. The 52mm is nice for the K10D as it fits both the 18-55 and the 50-200 telephoto lenses. I would keep it, unless you want to trade up to a more expensive, higher quality filter that does the same thing.
12-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Inactive Account

As Clarence already said, a polarizer does so many things it's almost a necessity (for me, anyway).

There are times when it'll take a cloudy sky and make it just jump off of the paper. It'll bring back colors that are lost in reflections and haze.

The Tiffen is not the best polarizer out there (I believe it sells for around $35) but it's cheap enough that you could try it and if you decide to pop for a better one later it's no big loss (you could also sell it on eBay.)

Dan
12-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
cool thanx for the info guys...

this isn't really a profession of mine... its more of a hobby... so i think i'll just keep this filter for now and upgrade later if i ever get more serious...

do you guys know if this filter fits on tamron lenses???

12-25-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by INcreative Quote

do you guys know if this filter fits on tamron lenses???

should say on ur tamron what filter size it takes...usually its this symbol Ø followed by a number (55mm, etc...)
12-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodan Quote
The Tiffen is not the best polarizer out there
Dan

So, what brand would you say is the best out there?

Now, I'm not a professional photographer so recommending one that has a cost of 300 - 400 dollars would not be of interest.
12-25-2006, 05:05 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Take a look at this site:

Hoya, Tiffen, Heliopan Infrared Filters are Sold at photofilter.com

The Hoyas are very good filters and the circular polarizer can be had for under $70. They have several different levels so look around.

Dan

12-25-2006, 06:20 PM   #8
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodan Quote
Take a look at this site:

Hoya, Tiffen, Heliopan Infrared Filters are Sold at photofilter.com

The Hoyas are very good filters and the circular polarizer can be had for under $70. They have several different levels so look around.

Dan
Am I to read into that then, you feel that the Hoya Filters are superior to the Tiffen filters?

12-26-2006, 05:30 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I would Say Hoya is better then Tiffin and Coklin and since Hoya makes different grades of filters the price range will vary slightly. It all depends on how much money you have and the type of equipment you can find in your price range. this filter I find is one of the first filters you should add to your collections. Clarence hit the nail on the head with his review. there is a price difference for the amount of quality you want. As a hobbyist Any of the above filters are a good choice and will give you the results they are made for.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
12-26-2006, 05:45 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Yep. What David said.

Regards, Dan
01-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I would Say Hoya is better then Tiffin and Coklin and since Hoya makes different grades of filters the price range will vary slightly. It all depends on how much money you have and the type of equipment you can find in your price range. this filter I find is one of the first filters you should add to your collections. Clarence hit the nail on the head with his review. there is a price difference for the amount of quality you want. As a hobbyist Any of the above filters are a good choice and will give you the results they are made for.
First law of filter buying: For every opinion there is an equal and opposite opinion.

I have a fisheye that does not accept a filter. Both Sigmas have cheap ones, and the 50-200 has nothing. I don't think they really degrade the image, nor have I ever had a lens or filter dinged by a rock, so it is sort of meaningless to me.

I'd like to know why a filter (optically flat and clear) can cost $100 or more for a "good one", yet an "expensive" $1000 lens with 10 or so elements ground to optical precision, assembled with some close tolerances, and containing an optical stablization system, plus the housing itself, is only 10x the cost of the filter. Wouldn't that mean the lens is crap, relatively speaking?