Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
UpStrap

Has anyone bought one of these? If so do you have to buy seperate connectors for the mount to the camera?
I want one for my K5 because it is suppose to prevent it from slipping off your shoulder.

Camera Strap Professional Non Slip Camera Straps - UPstrap SG QR MEDIUM DUTY RELEASE STRAP WITH VECTRAN ENDS

02-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I looked at this once in a shop, but didn't want to hang K-5 and long lens on those dog-straps (but they do hold also a large dog on a leesh).
02-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Brooke Meyer

Use The Lowepro Speester

Get one of these, here. Lowepro Speedster Camera Strap : AvidMaxOutfitters.com

I have one of each of my camera bodies, tripod and monopod. The underneath is non skid, won't slip off. No bright color brand markings, quick releases and the price is right. Have used for years.
02-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Love it!
Actually got the Blackrapid connector for my camera to hang it by the tripod mount... took that off the Blackrapid strap and put it on the Upstrap.
It is really much more comfortable and slip-resistant than any other strap I've used.

Although mine has the thin straps that you have to weave through a buckle to secure...
I really would not trust quick-release snaps on my camera... too many jerks around me that just want to grab those and either steal the camera or laugh as it falls to the ground.
You could zip-tie them closed, but then, whats the point.

02-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I wouldn't trust those plastic clips. No way.
02-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Get one of these, here. Lowepro Speedster Camera Strap : AvidMaxOutfitters.com

I have one of each of my camera bodies, tripod and monopod. The underneath is non skid, won't slip off. No bright color brand markings, quick releases and the price is right. Have used for years.
I figured 'for $5 delivered, what the heck - worth a try' I'm glad I spent the $5. The quick releases won't let go solely based on pull force, but they do release easily when I want them to do so. I'm not sure what kind of 'jerks'
amoringello has around him, or how he carries his camera so I'm not going to nay say him. For me, this is a great strap.

Two more notes-
Yes the underside is non-skid and and won't easily slide on your clothing - but I sometimes like to carry my camera cross-body (strap on one sholder, going under the other sholder). I carry the camera not quite under my arm for security or drag it up quickly to my eye without it flopping around - I can easily reverse this strap so that it does slide on my clothing.
Do you have the Pentax viewfinder blind for use when your eye is not at the viewfinder? I have drilled two small holes through mine and sewed it like a button to the inside of the strap stub that stays attached to the camera. I never lose it and it is always handy, even when I don't have the strap attached - just grab the stub and slip the blind over the viewfinder. The strap stub actually makes it easier to apply or remove the blind without damaging it.
02-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the Kevlar Upstrap on my K-20. The rubber shoulder pad takes a little getting used to, but otherwise its fantastic. The thin (1/2") kevlar straps don't interfere with my hands nearly as often as "conventional" straps.

02-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I figured 'for $5 delivered, what the heck - worth a try' I'm glad I spent the $5. The quick releases won't let go solely based on pull force, but they do release easily when I want them to do so. I'm not sure what kind of 'jerks'
amoringello has around him, or how he carries his camera so I'm not going to nay say him. For me, this is a great strap.

Two more notes-
Yes the underside is non-skid and and won't easily slide on your clothing - but I sometimes like to carry my camera cross-body (strap on one sholder, going under the other sholder). I carry the camera not quite under my arm for security or drag it up quickly to my eye without it flopping around - I can easily reverse this strap so that it does slide on my clothing.
Do you have the Pentax viewfinder blind for use when your eye is not at the viewfinder? I have drilled two small holes through mine and sewed it like a button to the inside of the strap stub that stays attached to the camera. I never lose it and it is always handy, even when I don't have the strap attached - just grab the stub and slip the blind over the viewfinder. The strap stub actually makes it easier to apply or remove the blind without damaging it.
The plastic clips on the LowePro Speedsters are similar to ones on collars I've used with our 90 lb Labrador Retrievers. They outlasted the dogs.

I cover events with two bodies, so one wide and one long lens and I'm constantly swapping off each shoulder. The straps are beefy enough to handle a lot more weight but small enough to not be in the way. Unobtrusive is good so lack of bright red and yellow logos is a big plus. Camera theft is an issue in some tourist areas in Europe. In that case, I'd stick to one body slung cross chest with hand on it. Do NOT set it down in a cafe. Situational awareness is the key.

I lost an obsolete Point & Shoot to a pick pocket who was working cafes in a busy area of Paris. He sat down at an adjoining table with shopping bags ( I wasn't paying attention, the place was empty) and dipped my jacket pocket ( hanging on the back of my chair) when he picked up his bags and left ( after looking at the menu and mot ordering). I sort of owe him though. He got a 4 year old Sony DSC with a photo of a Metro sign and I got justification to buy a DSLR. Bought my K10D in the fall of 2007. If I could find him, I'd say merci.