Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2008, 04:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which filter

Hi guys!

One question: Is there any filter (UV, Pol), which will remove this fogy foreground there on this photo? I know I can add contrast to it, but then the ground will be too dark. Is there any way to get more contrast photo with filter?
EXIF:
Tamron AF 70-300 @ 300m, f/19, 1/250 sec

01-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
Hi guys!

One question: Is there any filter (UV, Pol), which will remove this fogy foreground there on this photo?
UV may help.. i'd suggest shooting it in IR, instead.. give it a different feel. :-)
01-04-2008, 02:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thnx for your opinion....
01-04-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sometimes a polariser can help, must admit though it doesn't work all that often.

In photoshop there are a couple of "tricks" worth trying:

1. Select a brush tool
2. make size 400
3. set opacity 8%
4. change MODE to COLOUR BURN
5. In colour palette/swatch choose a light/neutral brown
6. wipe over image with brush tool until desired effect achieved

Also - a bit more brutal....

In USM:

AMOUNT = 50 , RAD = 100, THR = 0

simon

01-04-2008, 04:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I don't think any filter will bring this back to life. Having a Cir. Pol. filter in your kit is a good thing - it can't hurt to try a shot with and one without the filter. Most other filtering effects can be done in PS. In its current state it is really washed out. I played with it a bit in PS (with my limited skills) and I think it looks a bit more pleasing to the eye. Maybe this is not the effect you are trying to achieve. The mountains and clouds look sharper, but the foreground and upper sky looks noisy. I see you used ISO 200 but it looks very noisy - I am not sure why. Also, your sensor is littered with dust particles - a good cleaning is in order.

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-30-2009 at 03:28 AM.
01-04-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I don't think any filter will bring this back to life. Having a Cir. Pol. filter in your kit is a good thing - it can't hurt to try a shot with and one without the filter. Most other filtering effects can be done in PS. In its current state it is really washed out. I played with it a bit in PS (with my limited skills) and I think it looks a bit more pleasing to the eye. Maybe this is not the effect you are trying to achieve. The mountains and clouds look sharper, but the foreground and upper sky looks noisy. I see you used ISO 200 but it looks very noisy - I am not sure why. Also, your sensor is littered with dust particles - a good cleaning is in order.
Thanks! I also done that in PS, but the effect realy isnt what I was looking for.
And yes, I know, the dust.... (the big dust i allready removed....)
01-04-2008, 06:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Either a polarizer or a graduated nd filter will work. Best bet is a good multicoated UV but they can be expensive (Hoya, Sigma to name a few). Heliopan also make multicoated anti haze filters (UV), same story... expensive but it pays to get the best you can afford.

01-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Good Morning Pentagor,

If I was faced with the same shot I would use a Cokin graduated filter (you could try the light blue, or a neutral density). The bonus of using the square graduated Cokin filter is that it lets you expose for the foreground to get the detail you want while not burning all the detail out of the sky. The square filter lets you slide it up or down to establish exactly where you wish the to influence. You could also try adding a polarizer to help create additional detail to the cloud. This should give you the best capture.
Then if you still felt that you wanted to work it further you could do a little Post Editing in PS. The photo could easily be dived into 4 bands (foreground, aft ground, mountain, sky) save each as a layer and adjust individually. The foreground would benefit from a slight warming PS photofilter to create a contrast to the cold mountain.

Spyglass
01-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
Not Registered

Add my vote to the polarizer and think that a good multicoated-UV can also help.
01-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Add my vote to the polarizer and think that a good multicoated-UV can also help.
But never both at once. Too many reflections, too much increase in the odds of the filter mount vignetting the image - the wide, wide lenses can see the filter. On some, only super thin filters will not vignette.
01-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #11
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
But never both at once. Too many reflections, too much increase in the odds of the filter mount vignetting the image - the wide, wide lenses can see the filter. On some, only super thin filters will not vignette.
True, I was referring to have either one or the other but after reading my post looked like I were suggesting both together. Thank you for the correction.
01-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
True, I was referring to have either one or the other but after reading my post looked like I were suggesting both together. Thank you for the correction.
I meant it only as an amplification for the new users. I should also amend my post to indicate that with some lenses, the only solution to the vignetting problem is to use oversized filters and a very shallow step up ring.
01-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I agree you can get some vignetting if you stack too many filters (creating the dark tube effect) and have your lens zoomed out to its minimum, widest angle, offering. Simply zoom in until you see that vignetting is not a problem. Pentragor was using a 70-300mm zoom lens, appears to be on an opposite mountain or hill, and would have ample working room in his zoom range. The shot may benefit from some compositional cropping at the capture stage (development on the right is cut off and create a cut up look). It is an excellent point that Canadian Rockies brings up about vignetting as often the photographer is so focussed in the center area of his composition that he or she does not see the effects of vignetting when they are faint. As for reflections I have never had a problem from stacking a few filters (just use a hood, be aware of any unwanted light entering the lens region). I have wondered where all the light went - ha ha
01-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
Forum Member

so stacking filters, say an uv and a polarizing filter will not degrade the IQ?
01-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Anything you place between your subject and the sensor/film will affect the image you ultimately receive. All glass has impurities, nothing is made perfect, flat, 100% aligned, all glass will reflect and distort light to some degree, etc. Luckily for us humans the results that we seek with the use of filters can far outway the harm they could ever do (but it is a good practice to buy decent filters - yes all those no name filters on Ebay from China, terrible idea).